Working out the back muscles

Hi there,

I lift weights quite frequently, as well as running and other types of fitness. Here's a few exercises you could try, some with and some without weights.

WITHOUT WEIGHTS

1. Bent Knee Situps - These are just the traditional situps: legs bent, feet flat on the ground, and a full motion up to your knees. This both strengthens the back as well as works on the abdominals.

2. Leg Elevations - Find a clock somewhere. Lay down on the ground and sit on top of your hands with your hands facing palm down. Raise your feet an inch or two off the ground and hold them in place for say, 30 seconds. Do this for a while and increase the time as you see fit. Again this works both the back and abdominal muscles.

This is a website with simple stretching techniques mainly to fight off back pain, but stretching is always a must before starting with weights. link removed

WITH WEIGHTS

I assume you like using weights, correct me if I'm wrong. Here's a very great website that demonstrates back exercises with weight. Click on one of the listed exercises for a short video clip demonstration of each. link removed

I hope this helps. If you're looking for any more advice or exercise tips just send me a private message and I'll be happy to help.

well if u want upper back and back musles, u would need to use free weights, stand with ur back straight feet as far as ur shoulders , DO NOT SLOUCH. Get 2 free weights, at ur side in each hand and lift them like ur flapping wings or something up and down, do them slowwwly, it will burn like heck but thats how u know its working. U should use enuf weight to which u can ONLY do like 8-12 repitions on the last 2-3 when u feel like u cant lift anymore do some negatives, this is where u bring the weight up slowly and let it down slowly, count to 8 on each motion. This works , foreal u will see a big diffrence in 2-3 months if done regularly, ur back will BE RIPPPPPED!!.

As for lower back i would do situps, on a incline with some weight on ur chest with ur arms crossed. INTENSTIY is the key to getting any kind of musle whether it be mass, or definition. good luck. Also drink LOTS OF WATER all day anytime u think u can put some in u.

• 1 month later...

Neither of those exercises work out the back. The 1st options you gave is for shoulders. If you want to work upper back using free weights, then you have to do bent over rows. You can use either a dumbell or barbell.

For lower back you can either do deadlifts or do lowback extensions.

xxati is correct! Most back exercices also exercise other muscle groups.

Try these...pull ups (overhand)

Back crunches (also known as dorsal raises)

Prelude-check this site out mate;

bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/home.htm

I know you will like it!

Like the Prlude btw-awesome car....my older bro has a civic Vti 93.....need i say more!