Is it too whiny to say you don't want to work with a co-worker?

sanadee

A new person came in our team last week.

She seems nice, but these things are starting to tick me off:

- she isn't very computer literate, and downloads things on our team desktop which have malware attached. i had to spend about two hours last week clearing the malware off.

- She spends all day on facebook, and when I am doing work asks for the Ethernet cable so she can chat online. her excuse is that the doesn't have internet at home so this is the only opportunity for her to go online.

i know it takes all sorts to make up the world, and people have different work ethics. But her using Facebook is compromising my (and subsequently the team's) work.

Should I just get over it?

Most companies have guidelines about personal use of work computers. Many companies block sites like facebook or myspace because they don't want people screwing around doing work time. Doesn't matter that she doesn't have internet at home...it doesn't give her a free pass to use an employer's for personal stuff.

In general, the kind of behavior you've described are no-no's at most companies.

You need to talk to your supervisor (or hers) about what you've witnessed. I'm guessin' she probably isn't going to listen to a friendly warning from you.

Is it a windows based system?

If so, find out the sites that she goes to the most and add them to the hosts list so that when she goes there again it will say "This page cannot be displayed". link removed

Play dumb and pretend that work must be blocking the sites due to abuse of web surfing. I doubt she'll go to her superieors at work and ask why she can no longer access her "facebook" on her work computer -and if she does then she will not be looked upon favorably. If she is computer illiterate she will never figure it out on her own.

this thing annoys me since i don't want my work compromised because of this, and most likely I would get the blame, since i kind of have control over the desktop.

And the few hours i spent clearing malware off the computer is hours i could have spent working.

I think i will tell our manager about this, but not in a whiny way. She is an on the job trainee and is not officially an employee of our company, but even still I can't tolerate much more slacking off (and not when I will get the blame for it).

thanks for your input.

A new person came in our team last week.

She seems nice, but these things are starting to tick me off:

- she isn't very computer literate, and downloads things on our team desktop which have malware attached. i had to spend about two hours last week clearing the malware off.

- She spends all day on facebook, and when I am doing work asks for the Ethernet cable so she can chat online. her excuse is that the doesn't have internet at home so this is the only opportunity for her to go online.

i know it takes all sorts to make up the world, and people have different work ethics. But her using Facebook is compromising my (and subsequently the team's) work.

Should I just get over it?

Personally, I usually try not to report people at work unless it's something extremely serious or their behavior is jeopardizing my work and causing me to catch flak. Maybe you can try to pull her to the side and voice your concerns before going to your supervisor. Then, if she's still doing the same thing and it's causing problems, I would report her.

Archived