I hate smoking, normal reaction?

If there's one thing I detest so much that I can't stand it is why some people smoke. See even if it was 1 cigar once in a very long ago, I can't stand that.

I'm ok with drinking esp. if it's a special occasion, party or hang-out at ties but not smoking.

It gets to the point, I'll just back away from you since I hate the smell of the smoke. Even my bf when he smoked once, he had to literally go the other way, about 2 yards away from me and I'll just wait till he finished.

Two things I would want to know.

1) Why do some people smoke, what's so good about the smell of ciger? Yuck

2) Is my reaction/view towards it normal or I'm overgoing it? I can't help it, I hate it, always did even when I used to see a friend of mine smoking.

Same questions here. When I ask my friends who smoke, they say its just to feel good. But they also know that the "feels good" factor wears off once it becomes a habit. But how hard it is to kick that habit? Just don't buy any cigs !!!

I hate smokers to the point that I refuse to hang out if all in the group smoke. I also don't tend to become friends with them. Not that they are bad people but I just can't stand the smell and the tendency of self-destruction for short-term "feels good" thing.

For what its worth, there is an enormous difference between cigarettes and other forms of smoking. Cigarettes provide an enormous jolt of nicotine to the system. That's what gets people hooked.

I'm a pipe smoker. I usually smoke every day, but depending on circumstances might go a few weeks without one. And there is no withdrawal or craving or anything like that. It is just a pleasant, relaxing way to unwind at the end of the day.

Of course, I am polite about it. I would never smoke in an inappropriate place. Most of the time, I am either on my deck, or at a cigar store (that has a smoking club room).

Its all different strokes, I suppose. I enjoy high quality cigar and pipe smoke (and there is a difference: The cheap stuff is disgusting). I can't stand cigarette smoke.

But if you want to talk about unbearable, lets talk about women who wear too much cheap perfume! I really can't stand that!

But if you want to talk about unbearable, lets talk about women who wear too much cheap perfume! I really can't stand that!

lol. Me neither. Actually, there are quite a few perfumes and fragrances that cause an allergic reaction in me. It's to the point where I literally can not stand close to some people in public and at work: my throat closes up and I break out in hives instantly.

The same way some others are allergic to cigarette smoke. But try getting around the delicate issue of trying to explain to someone that it's their perfume!

I'm an ex cigarette smoker and even when I smoked, I think it is perfectly within a non-smoker's right to not be around second hand smoke.

I don't think it's a license to be rude, though. An example: when I smoked, I remember some people who went out of their way to make faces and make it their business to lecture me - even if I never smoked around them. "I can smell it all over you! yuck!" Ok, well you have that right to an opinion, but some people do overdo it.

Don't know if you are one of them.

My throat also closes with smoke or strong perfume.

However, I enjoy the occasional pipe or cigar. It's different than breathing in the second-hand smoke. Like MoTay, I only smoke away from people and use it when I'm relaxing. It's an excuse to go "do nothing." When I'm in a public place I will do my best to stay away from people. I would not be insulted if others stood far away or asked me to move into an area away from people.

I think it has to do with two things.

1. Just not liking it and finding the smell bad.

2. Being judgmental

If you don't like smoking, then you don't like it. But when it gets to the point where you don't like the person that smokes, then it is judging the person.

If you don't like smoking, then you don't like it. But when it gets to the point where you don't like the person that smokes, then it is judging the person.
The person is apart from what I feel about the cigar. I get along with many people and can hang out with you but I don't like the cigar nor smelling the smoke. No interest in it, simply never liked it.
The person is apart from what I feel about the cigar. I get along with many people and can hang out with you but I don't like the cigar nor smelling the smoke. No interest in it, simply never liked it.

My comment wasn't really directed to you. It was more towards this:

I hate smokers to the point that I refuse to hang out if all in the group smoke. I also don't tend to become friends with them. Not that they are bad people but I just can't stand the smell and the tendency of self-destruction for short-term "feels good" thing.

I totally understand not wanting to hang out with people that smoke. But about the part I bolded, are you really much different? Do you eat fast food, exercise regularly, etc.?

My comment wasn't really directed to you. It was more towards this:

I totally understand not wanting to hang out with people that smoke. But about the part I bolded, are you really much different? Do you eat fast food, exercise regularly, etc.?

I do get judgemental sometimes and trying to change that. But it was more to do with not being friends with people who don't want to help themselves. To your question, fast food-no, exercise-yes.

I get angry about smoking because I have lost people to lung cancer and will probably wind up losing more because all four of my brothers smoke. And the fact that because of other peoples' bad habit I have to face the consequences of: a) smelling like an ashtray (plus, I am allergic to the stuff, so my allergies flair up) b) being at risk for lung cancer myself, because second hand smoke is just as dangerous. So not only are they shortening their life where their loved ones will have to watch them die a very painful death, they make their habit a consequence and uncomfortable for others.

I'm unapologetic about what I think about smoking cigarettes. I think it is selfish and irresponsible. I do work out. Yes, I eat fast food every once and a while. I drink maybe 2-3 times a month, but not excessively. I think smoking a pipe is fine every now and then. I think smoking hookah is okay every now and then. But that's where I draw the line. I won't openly shun people, no. But if they are to ask, "Does my smoking bother you?" I won't lie to them.

We have patients that come in who have never had a cigarette in their life and have all kinds of cancer - lung, throat, etc.

It's a personal habit and it's their choice if someone decides to smoke. I personally don't like to be around it either but what's the point in being rude about it?

I'm sure I have habits they don't approve of either.

Smoking cigarettes does not directly cause cancer - yes, it can increase the risk but that doesn't necessarily mean just because i'm around second hand smoke i'm going to get cancer.

A risk is a risk, and I'd like to avoid cancer as much as possible. Even if I were completely safe from it, I've lost five people to lung cancer due to their smoking and will likely lose all four of my brothers to a smoking related disease, so I'm not a huge advocate for thinking it's a good idea or letting other people think that I think it's a good idea.

I'm not very judgmental about much, so if I want to openly say that I don't like things that slowly kill a person, then I will. Especially when it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Dang, Smoking is responsible for 90% of cases of lung cancer.

link removed

"Research has shown that non-smokers who reside with a smoker have a 24% increase in risk for developing lung cancer when compared with other non-smokers. An estimated 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year in the U.S. that are attributable to passive smoking."

Other factors only contribute to a minuscule number of lung cancer cases.

Well, its the end of the day, the end of the week. I am sitting here in my office with my trusty old Peterson Emerald #408 pipe (thing must be over 15 years old by now), surrounded by clouds of highly aromatic smoke from my special reserve of Dunhill Mixture #965 (they stopped making that years ago, but I have a little left).

Life is good.

I'm not saying that it's ok to smoke. I think it's a bad habit and I hate the smell as well. But what I was trying to say (and what I think dangletsbang is trying to say as well) is that everyone has a choice about what they want to do. Just because we don't agree with something a person does, doesn't mean it's ok to judge them.

I'm not saying that it's ok to smoke. I think it's a bad habit and I hate the smell as well. But what I was trying to say (and what I think dangletsbang is trying to say as well) is that everyone has a choice about what they want to do. Just because we don't agree with something a person does, doesn't mean it's ok to judge them.

I agree, except when it impacts the health and well-being of others. Smoking around other people does this. And lung cancer is not the only thing they can get. There are a whole host of other cancers and diseases. There is a 70% increase in the risk of passive smokers developing breast cancer, for example.

I agree, except when it impacts the health and well-being of others. Smoking around other people does this. And lung cancer is not the only thing they can get. There are a whole host of other cancers and diseases. There is a 70% increase in the risk of passive smokers developing breast cancer, for example.

I totally agree with you in this case. When what you do affects others, then it becomes more than personal choice. But I know many smokers who are respectful and will only smoke when other people aren't around, or ask permission first.

I totally agree with you in this case. When what you do affects others, then it becomes more than personal choice. But I know many smokers who are respectful and will only smoke when other people aren't around, or ask permission first.

I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye here. I have also come accross respectful smokers, but also some who were very disrespectful. Although I do think that there is some pressure for non-smokers to allow smokers to light up around them. After all, they do have an addiction and they will start to withdraw if they don't get their fix. We wouldn't want that now, would we?

Plus, many are not aware of the risks of inhaling 2nd hand smoke, which I think is a big shame.

Archived