So confused, and scared! I want to change carrers.

1MoreChance

I spent 5 years studying to be a teacher while working nearly full time as a substitute teacher during my studies. I have been a teacher for a couple of years now. I have worked in elementary schools, high schools and adult education centers.

I never really loved it though there are some things I like and I have worked hard at finding things I appreciate in the profession. I find it highly stressful though, to plan and structure courses, be in control on where I am going for hours at a time when in front of a group, come up with creative ideas and ajust to my students, provide them with support and encouragement, and evaluate their progress. I had a really hard time with stress during my last contract, including performance anxiety before going to class.

I want to go back to school yet again. I want to study in horticulture, want to work with plants, want low stress. it's a full-time, 1350 hour course for one year. I'd teach week-ends to pay the rent. I feel I only did my teaching degree out of fear and need for job security but I'm not happy in my career. I really regret it. I have no kids or responsibilities stopping me from studying. should I do it? classes start january 2010.

Sounds like you have it all planned and set out for you! Wish my life was that deterministic. I thought I knew everything and everything would go as planned but my life is so much more complicated than that!

But Hike, that's exactly what I tried to do! Plan it all and make the "right" decisions, but I was wrong! I hate going into work, and planning my classes. I try to be optimistic, but inside I'm bored to death and it drains me. I get so tired, it just doesn't come naturally.

yes I do enjoy my students, but it's so high pressure cause you have to be on top of things all the time. you have to know where you are going all the time when you're with your group. I have depression and adrenal fatique and I cannot cope with the stress. Frankly, life is too short.

the only reason I went into teaching was because I had no idea what else to do and there were a lot of job openings and I thought I would enjoy it, feel that I contributed to society and make an honnest living (and have financial security). BTW I give my 100% to my students and I try hard to be at my best. I know horticulture doesn't pay well at first but if you are happy at your job advancement can come with time. It shouldn,t be so hard to go into work! I am a hard worker, not lazy, I've done so many types of jobs in my life. It shouldn't feel this hard!!!

Thank God you've only got a couple years into teaching. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes - go for it!

So many times we don't go to college for what we want but actually for what we think would make others happy. So good for you for changing course!

I tried to do the "right" thing, a lot was to gain my mother's approval (I know, I'm neurotic). I felt that anything "less" than a university degree was not good enough.

BTW my brother spent a grand total of ONE year post secondary education and does what he loves (he has been a cook for 15 years and a sous-chef (just under the chef which is the owner) of one of Canada's better known and quoted restaurants). I am not looking for prestige (which he has, he's been on tv, in cooking books, has travelled the world to work with top chefs)... my point is, he only studied one year after high school and he is doinbg what he loves with great success. My sister makes double what I make, and has a high school education. she has worked her way up companies and is now director of a large retail store (which she enjoys).

WHY, why WHY can't *I* get it right? I'm the one of the children who is "good in school", had the *chance* that my sister didn't have to study in university (long story). I feel like I'm trying to live a lie.

Just trust me you are in so much a better and simpler condition than me!

what's wrong? do you need to talk about it? Hike, atthis point I feel scared, heart broken, exhausted and suicidal. I'm just looking for that bright little star in my sky. I'm just trying to believe that I have the right to be happy, that I can live in a different satate than constant fear and that maybe it's not too late.

I'm just afraid I'm looking for answers in the wrong places (like a career change). Sure, I can (and I do) look for the reasons why teaching and lesson planning and evaluation is so stressful for me. But I HAVE worked many other jobs and even though I had personal problems, I enjoyed them a lot more and didn't feel so overwhelmed in them.

I want to go back to school yet again.

I hate saying these things as I wish not to be construed as someone who knows it all, but to that end, remember that life and everything it encompasses is far from being a destination, but instead, a journey.

With our economy in the rut it's in, I fear this sort of adaptation could be considered a new standard. People will do whatever it takes to find happiness because to not do that would indicate a defeatist insanity.

Do whatever it takes for you to grab that happiness--even if it means spending the rest of your life in debt while eating Ramen noodles and staying up until 1 or 2 in the morning writing papers. It will all lead to something someday. ...Something GOOD.

If this job is making you that miserable, then just go do what you want. You don't have kids, a house, anything really holding you back. Just do it and don't look back. If it turns out to be the wrong move, you can always go back. Do what YOU want.

that's really sweet of you to take the time to reply back these words. you,re right, I have nothing holding me back. yes it is a very intensive course, 1 year in a vocational school full time, 35 to 40 hours a week, but it's only a year.

I figure when my brother chose his cooking course (it was a 1 year course as well BTW), he wasn't 100% sure about it, he just thought it was something he would enjoy. and he is a successful cook (sous chef in a well known restaurant actually) today. he really enjoys it. why can't I try it? maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just an attemps at running from myslef and my problems. I don,t know. I studied for 5 years to complete my teaching degree because I thought it was the *right* thing to do. My mother used to repeat to me "you just need a degree, that's all. after that you'll be fine".ya right.

People have the false illusion that everyone gets one career and works in the same field all their lives, but the reality is in today's world, most people have at least 3 different careers in their lifetime. They may have changing desires and interests, or their field may ebb and flow and jobs not be available, or they have different life goals etc.

So there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with you changing careers if you don't feel happy in your current one. It is the norm these days.

You can also leverage your past education in future. If you like landscaping and working with plants, there is no reason that in future you couldn't teach landscaping or horticulture, or help your clients learn to be good gardeners, or work for the govt. in some kind of agriculture role that involve working with the public and teaching them about plants.

So you will have extra skills that other people don't have from your prior career.

So don't run yourself down about this at all. But on a side note, if you think you are depressed, do get some counseling so that your decisions are clear and not influenced by depression. But on the flip side, perhaps you are depressed BECAUSE of your current career mismatch. Just don't waste any time beating yourself up for wanting to be happy. We should all strive for that.

what's wrong? do you need to talk about it? Hike, atthis point I feel scared, heart broken, exhausted and suicidal. I'm just looking for that bright little star in my sky. I'm just trying to believe that I have the right to be happy, that I can live in a different satate than constant fear and that maybe it's not too late.

I'm just afraid I'm looking for answers in the wrong places (like a career change). Sure, I can (and I do) look for the reasons why teaching and lesson planning and evaluation is so stressful for me. But I HAVE worked many other jobs and even though I had personal problems, I enjoyed them a lot more and didn't feel so overwhelmed in them.

Thanks for your offer. Yes a lot is wrong. But it is too complicated to even begin explaining here. It is something similar to your situation, except it is more complicated, I have invested more time in my current career. What I want (and don't even know if I CAN do) is harder to achieve than yours, and there is other complications. I have no plan and nothing is clear, and I also have a LOT more constraints.

The feelings you have about the problem... I have similar ones. Add to that anger and frustration.

Thanks for your offer. Yes a lot is wrong. But it is too complicated to even begin explaining here. It is something similar to your situation, except it is more complicated, I have invested more time in my current career. What I want (and don't even know if I CAN do) is harder to achieve than yours, and there is other complications. I have no plan and nothing is clear, and I also have a LOT more constraints.

The feelings you have about the problem... I have similar ones. Add to that anger and frustration.

I hope you're ok, I'd like to hear your story.

you can pm me if you'd like.

take good care.

• 10 months later...

1MoreChance,

Did you ever follow through on this? It sounds exciting and i really hope you did Life is too short not to give something a go. It was only one year, so i hope you did it, and if you haven't, i hope you find the courage / strength / motivation to do it.

Archived