Struggling with suicidal ideation

elizabeth2008

I've been in counseling for years. I've tried all kinds of medications (and the one I'm on right now seems ok). I try to exercise regularly and eat well. I have a lot of friends and my financial situation is good. And yet, I still really struggle with depression and thinking that I'd be better off dead.

I'm usually able to snap myself out of the dark thoughts and tell myself things like, "this feeling is temporary." It also helps that I have a few goals in my professional life that I'm working towards, such as going back to school. What are some other things you guys do to combat depression and suicidal thinking? I'm tired of dealing with this, and I hope I can be rid of depression one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my psychologist about going abroad. She did not approve of it at this time. She said that it would be risky for me to go abroad without having my mental health in good condition. She said it would be awful if I were thousands of miles away and my mood took a turn for the worse.

She did suggest that I talk with my father (the one who would pay for me to go abroad) and see what goals or milestones he would like for me to achieve before he would allow me to go abroad. But I'm afraid to do that, because what if he shoots down the idea or comes up with goals that I think are unreasonable?

It's getting to the point where I am really getting fed up with feeling so badly. The suicidal thoughts are getting more frequent. I just feel down and like nothing matters. I've got some goals I'm working on, such as losing weight, but I'm putting in half-hearted effort. I don't have a lot of energy either. I sleep away most of the day.

Archived