Desperately need relationship help - crying again!

Hi,

This going to take a while, so please forgive me, but I really need some advice desperately as I am currently so unhappy it is beyond belief. If anyone would take the time to read through my whole story and give me some advice, I would be so grateful.

In September 2001, I got into a relationship with a girl and at the time she was 16-years-old and I was 19-years-old. We live about 45 minutes drive from each other, so it wasn't ideal, but she would get the bus to mine every weekend as her mum would stay at her boyfriends most weekends, meaning that my girlfriend would be on her own at home anyway and she would rather come and stay at my house as she had gotten very close to my family and was basically a pat of the furniture!

My parents were very, very good about it and never complained that she would stay here every Friday and Saturday night, despite the fact that they would be paying for her food and some weekends we would get a takeaway and they would pay for her food etc. On Saturday's, I would go to the football with my dad, and my girlfriend would go shopping with my mum and a lot of the time my mum would buy her a top or a skirt etc. if she saw one that she liked as my mum is a very kind person like that and they had become very close.

Me and my girlfriend were so solid and everyday we would say we loved each other and it was always very special when we were intimate together. I was very much in love and I was sure she felt the same about me.

We were happy like this for two years, until she turned 18. I had never become close with her friends, in fact, I barely saw them over the two-year period as my girlfriend was usually at mine and would come out with my friends, and also her friends didn't really like me as I had had a falling out when I was 18 with one of them (who they were all very close to). Anyway, when she turned 18 she had a holiday abroad arranged with all of these friends as it was the summer and they'd finished school and were preparing to go away and have some fun together before they all went off to university.

Halfway through her holiday, I received a phone call from her saying she had got the flu and wasn't feeling well and that she was going to come home on her own (this was after a week of the fortnight holiday). I was obviously worried and spoke to her constantly, and as soon as she came home I spoke to her for a good while! However, she expected me to go and see her that week, but she had come home on the Monday (this was last July) and I had started a summer job that very day as part of my university course. I thereforeeee couldn't just walk out and see her that day or in fact that week as I was just too preoccupied with the job. I said I'd see her at the weekend, but that seemingly wasn't good enough.

Anyway, this was when I first noticed her changing. She then passed her driving test and I was so pleased for her as she had failed the first couple of times and I knew how upset she had been over that. I arranged with my sister's boyfriend that he would sell her his old car for half the price it was worth, so she got a very good deal out of it.

She then started going very, very weird indeed. She had taken a year out after finishing school (she starts at uni in September) and so she got a full-time job working in a department store to make some money for when she goes to university.

I then barely ever saw her and she went from phoning me all the time, to never phoning me at all. I would always have to ring her or I wouldn't hear from her and I didn't understand why she was like that.

She stopped coming around at weekends then and began going out with her mates to nightclubs 2/3 times a week and if I ever sent her a text message on her phone when she was out, she would just say, "I am with friends now, I'll speak to you tomorrow" whereas on the odd-occasion she would go out with her friends previously, she'd still send a few texts and ask what I was doing, and what her night had been like so far etc.

I began noticing she was becoming more and more distant and then whenever I asked if I could come out to the clubs with her and her friends, she would tell me that it would spoil it for her and that she wouldn't be able to enjoy it as she couldn't go off and chat to all the people she knows there because I would be clinging to her all night. I said for goodness sakes, I do have a personality, I can talk to your friends, you only have to introduce me to your friends, like I introduced you to mine, but she refused to budge.

She then started saying how I was always hassling her and she couldn't breathe and couldn't do anything she wanted to do, even though I never stopped her going out and she was out 3 to 4 nights a week. She said she was 18 now and independent and had her job and her little car and she wasn't the same 16-year-old girl I had met.

After this went on for a couple of weeks, I said I couldn't go on like this, just seeing her when she could be bothered to fit me in (which was like a Tuesday night or Wednesday night now and again). She said OK, let's have a break for a month or so, but we won't obviously see other people/pull other people.

Anyway, this was in December last year, and I didn't really see her over Christmas, although we spoke a little. She was still, however, going out every weekend and some weeknights clubbing.

She was still saying that she loved me and that she now wanted to see me again. I then found out in January from one of her ex-friends just a couple of hours before I had an exam at university, that she had slept with her best friend after a night clubbing in December (it is a guy by the way, not a girl!). I rang her, in tears on the phone, and she admitted it and said it was a stupid, drunken one-night stand and had only happened because she was upset that we were on a break, even though she suggested it!

I also then found out that an ex-boyfriend of hers had been out a few times at the nightclub over Christmas/early January and that she had kissed him a few times, and when I asked her about that, she admitted it, even though she had sworn to me that I knew everything after I found out about her sleeping with her best mate.

I felt gutted again and my heart sank. I also then found out that she hadn't used contraception with her best mate and she had to take the morning after pill, and maybe I am being stupid about that, but that really hurts me as well as I find it really personal that she didn't even make him use contraception, or is that just me?

We then started seeing each other again after I stupidly accepted her excuses that we weren't together when this happened and she'd never cheat on me and still loved me etc. Things seemed like they were getting back to normal again, but she was STILL going out every weekend with her friends clubbing and it was even worse now as she would also go out with so-called new friends from work on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. She would go to the cinema to see a film and would say she'd text me when she got home and she would be home about 11, yet she would text me at 1.30am saying she was talking to her girl friend from work and didn't realise the time! This happened a few times, and I was thinking what the hell are you doing until that time on a Tuesday night! This has still not been explained!

I would see her twice a week if I was lucky and that would be to fit me in on a Tuesday night if nothing better came along. She'd never ring me and I would always have to ring her. Yet she still maintained she loved me.

Anyway, about two weeks ago this came to a head. I said I was fed up with the way things were and she said she agreed and that I was "Doing her head in" because she needed space and all I do is hassle her and she wants to be able to go out when she wants, without having to ask anyone. This shocked me, as I have never stopped her from going out, ever – even though every time she does I feel sick at the thought of what she is doing.

She said she wanted a break from this relationship and that she doesn't want to be in a relationship right now with anyone and that she loves me and she wants to go until June/July without talking to me or seeing me so that she can sort her head out and then she knows she'll want to get back with me in June/July and everything will be back to the way it was before. I have asked her 10,000 times if she is seeing anyone else/likes anyone else and she says that there is absolutely nobody and that I am really driving her mad asking her. She said that she started feeling like this when I didn't bother going to see her when she came back ill from holiday, but I've told her a thousand times that I had started a new job that week and couldn't just up and leave to see her, and that obviously if she was seriously ill I would have, but she only had flu and I couldn't just walk out of a new job to see her.

A couple of times I have got upset on the phone and ended up in tears and she shouts at me and tells me how I am 21, not 2, and to stop crying because it is really getting on her nerves. This obviously makes me feel worse as I can't help getting upset – I love her.

I get even more upset as well as in September she is going to university, which will be 3 hours drive away, so we'll really only see each other at holidays then. I just can't believe she doesn't care that in June/July, we'll only have a couple of months together then anyway before she is off to uni. I just want to shake her and make her realise we should be spending time together now! On top of all this, my mum and dad now can't stand her as they've seen me crying every day and they say she wouldn't be allowed in the house anymore anyway!

I really need some advice…what should I do and what do you think she is thinking? Does she love me, am I being possessive or is she in the wrong? And what do you think this break thing is all about? Do you think there is someone else? She denies it categorically, and I have asked her friends and they all say they don't have a clue.

Please help

Most importantly, you need to let this go for a few days and get a sense of the big picture.

I can only base an opinion on what you wrote.

First off, you are trying to control her life. You don't like what she does, well, you aren't her father and she probably resents you for trying to be that.

Next, she's obviously treated you poorly. She's slept around. She's a kid. I don't know what you see in her other than the challenge of trying to get her.

Finally, you need to get a better perspective on life. You sound as if you worship her. She's only human. She doesn't need a worshiper, she needs a boyfriend. You've placed yourself on a different level than her, much lower, and she probably feels as if she can't even relate to you anymore.

Next, the crying. What do you hope to get from crying in front of her? Once and a while it is okay to show emotion, but you sound as if you are doing it for the same reason a child does it, because you want to be cuddled with affection. You think it will work, but it won't, so you need to stop doing that if possible. Crying is okay, but not all of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I empathize with you. You obviously have deep feelings for her. But you can't go through life thinking your life would be destroyed if someone left it. You need to invest yourself in other things and make yourself more well-rounded.

Right now, you have all your eggs in one basket. That basket has a hole at the bottom of it and your eggs are breaking.

My best suggestion is to forget about this for a few days. Just let it go. You are trying to control something you have no control over.

I repeat, you seem very controlling here. No, she's not perfect, but you seem to have lost an idea of the bigger picture of life.

Thanks mate, no I'm not crying all the time, it's only been twice and they were months ago.

I don't worship her, I just wish that I knew where I stood because this messing me around is driving me crazy. How can you say you love someone and then want to go 2/3 months without seeing them or talking to them? Why would anyone do that by choice if they love someone?

Secondly, do you think there is someone else on the scene?

Do you trust her? Yes or no?

If yes, then you need to stop asking if someone else is on the scene.

If no, you need to forget about her.

I know how you feel, believe me, but over time I realized that there is a woman out there for me who cares about my heart. This girl doesn't sound like she cares about yours. There is a girl out there for you.. I don't think she's it.

I feel terrible for what you've been through. I understand it must be extremely difficult for you. You have to stay away from her. She doesn't appreciate you or care about your feelings (telling you to stop crying because it irritates her is just small proof of what little regard she has for you). Even before I got to the part where she cheated on you- I knew it would be coming. She's obviously lied to you in the past (not telling you she had been having sex with other guys) and she will again. It might be that she does have someone or perhaps she just wants to have that kind of carefree lifestyle. But she should have the decency to not make you suffer like that.

Please don't bother with her anymore- she's using you as her "security" boyfriend. She wants to do whatever pleases her and not be accountable to anyone- she's immature and manipulative. This break she wants to take is just a way to keep you hanging, so that you won't decide to break it off with her so that she can use you while being able to get her kicks with other guys as well. (That's why she used the excuse of being "upset" that you two were on a break but nonetheless hooking up with some other guy).

You are not being too possessive- I think you're very rightfully upset that this girl is screwing you over! By what you've written it is clear that she manipulates things to try to make YOU feel guilty about what is happening, that it somehow is your fault.

I'm sorry, but she doesn't seem to love you or respect you for that matter. You seem to be a really nice guy, please muster up all the emotional energy you have to finally dump this girl and not look back, otherwise, you're headed for more heartache.

Best of luck,

Stefi

I'm not sure if I trust her, I did totally, but now I would have to say no. It's hard to tell though, as we're not together.

I agree that she obviously doesn't care about my heart, it's just very hard to accept when A) She says she still loves me and that we will get back together and B) This time last year she'd never have been like this to me

Stefi - thanks so much for your reply. I know you're so right, I've known in my heart of hearts exactly what you've just said is true.

How can someone who was so close to me for 2 years just start acting like this? And I don't understand why she needs to get with other guys - what's wrong with me?

I seriously can't take being this hurt anymore. Do you really think there's no future for us? Do you think there are probably way more guys than I know about, and that she is probably in fact seeing someone at the moment, but just wants to keep me hanging around in case it doesn't work out?

I'm going to give it to you straight...my intention is not to be mean. In my opinion, I'm sure that she loves you, but is probably not in love with you anymore. She is now a young adult and she is exploring her options. You say that she had sex with her best male friend, this is a huge red flag. I don't care how many excuses she gave you, there is nothing she can say that will excuse that.

Secondly, she told you that she needs time and space. That means that she doesn't want to be your girlfriend anymore. She is trying to let you down easy. This break that she needs means that she wants to be able to explore other relationships without having to feel guilty.

She's going clubbing and more constantly then before, plus she didn't want you to go with her...that's another huge red flag!

When you love someone, you MAKE time for them. You don't just fit them into your schedule whenever it's convienent. Whether or not there's someone else, she is telling you that she doesn't want to be called your girlfriend any longer.

What you need to do now, even though you want her back, is to leave her alone. I know it's hard, but you are suffocating her by giving her your attention. I advise you to stop or she'll end up hating you in the end.

Tiger_Lillies - Thanks for reading my problem!

I know you're right and I agree entirely with you. It's just so hard as this girl told me everyday she loves me and would never leave me, the thought of her with someone else makes me feel sick and heartbroken. I never thought she'd do this to me, we were in love.

Do you think that's really it then, game over? I don't understand why, I didn't do anything wrong and always brought her presents etc.

Yes, SadHatter, I truly think that if you want a healthy relationship you're not going to find it with her. I don't know what other issues there might be between you two but she is showing all the signs of not wanting to be your girlfriend anymore. People change, especially when you started out your relationship that young- she's different now. Of course, ultimately what you do is up to you. It all depends on how much you're willing to tolerate...

Why does she say she does want me be my girlfriend though? She says she loves me and wants 2 get back together in a couple of months time and we should both just go out with our mates for now and have some fun, but not see other people.

I don't get all this, if she just said "Look, I don't love you anymore and don't want to be with you" but she doesn't, she keeps coming out with all this space stuff and needing time stuff and I don't have a clue what she's on about.

Sup sad!

Bro, let me tell you the steps u are going to have to take to make this right for yourself are going to be difficult, but with time you will change as a person and dissassociate the negative aspects of whats happening here with yourself, of that you can be sure.

As to why she says she still wants to be your girlfriend, that is an easy one. Just think about what she DOES get out of your relationship, and why she would be afraid to leave it (because she is not sure if she could get certain aspects of your relationship elsewhere) for example: a history, good relationship w/ family *formerly*, all the time spent together to get to know how to please eachother in small ways, someone to support eachother during hard times, just having someone that one can be intellectually intimate with. She is young, so she is unsure if she can find these things in other people so she still holds on to you, dont feel to bad people who start young relationships often turn out like this because they simply must know if there is a better relationship out their. She probably doesnt even realize that telling you it started when u didnt go down to see her while she was sick is just an excuse, it was her own desire to seek other options that made her insecure enough to think badly of you for not going that extra mile and simply doing something extreme like skipping your new job for a visit. You were being overly dependant on her, but that is not your fault. People become like that when led on by selfish behavior that keeps people saying i still love you, but pulling them around on a leash. You shouldn't lose any self esteem over this at all, i mean 0! Because it is simply in people's nature to not commit to a relationship when they have been intimate with so few people. You should simply drop her, she has done alot of mean things to you, and you have done things that you probably didnt like doing to her. You ask us what she's on about, but people don't always understand why they do things, it is perfectly common for people to cut off a relationship due to this type of insecurity and not even know why, thats what being unsure of one's feelings IS, but that doesnt mean there is not a reason.

Good luck, be strongzzzz Mate!

-Your pal FISCH

Hi there, I was reading your post and i understand what you're going through, but i have also been in the same situation on the other side. This might hurt a little but what you need to do is leave her alone. for as long as you can physically cope with, I hate to say it but i dont htink she's ever going to be the way she was. when you're a 16 year old girl, a 19 year old bloke seems like the best thing in the world that could ever happen to you and you give up all your free time to be with them and you think that you are in love (and you probably are) and that's fine. But as she gets older she starts to see the fun in hanging out with her friends and getting a balance. It's unfortunate that your girl can't see that it is the balance she needs. What it boils down to is that she doesnt "NEED" you in quite the same way that she did and because she knows you are so infatuated with her she will never reciprocate like she used to. She doesn;t feel threatened by the possibility of losing you. Trust me, i always get this at some point in a relationship and I know that if you keep nagging her you'll push her further and further away. you need to regain the upper hand, the control if you get what i mean. go out with your mates more, make an effort to get more female attention for a start to boost your self confidence and then you will feel that you don't need her in the same way and then she'll start missing you. I know it is so hard when those you love act dfferently but you just have to try to keep your head ok? Best of luck with all this. I really hope it works out for you. =)

Thanks for your reply!

Well it's been a couple of weeks now and I've been going out like every single night with my mates, just having a laugh, but I do really miss her.

I haven't contacted her, but I started seeing a girl a bit, and that is now just a friendship, but I know that she heard from her friends that I was seeing someone, and she didn't call me or anything, so I see it that she can't be that bothered. I don't know what she's up to, where she is, I haven't spoken to her, it does really bother me and upset me, but I suppose at the end of the day, there's no point in me being bothered if she isn't (if that makes any sense?).

I just gotta move on I suppose, maybe she'll call me in June/July like she said she would, or maybe she won't, but having read what everyone on this forum has said, even if she does call me, there doesn't seem to be much point in me getting back with her anyway as A) she is going to uni in september, B) She doesn't seem to care about my heart, C) She is untrustworthy and D) She can't love me anyway to act like this...

I miss her a lot, I think about a lot of memories and stupid things like when I took her shopping in London for her 18th and when I arranged a surprise party for her 17th and just stupid things such as days out we had, like at the zoo and stuff, just silly things, and our cuddles, just don't understand how she can forget all of this...

yO sad wasup man,

I may repeat some stuff other people have said but this is my version of what been goin on. .. from what ive read.

Honestly, you sound pretty decent, and to be quite real i would just not worry @ all whats goin on wit her. She calls you in June/July wheneva talk to her, but as soon as she starts any of this "i miss you" cr@p just send her to Cleaveland, hang that phone up quick time. Shes only doin it to screw wit ure head.

I KNOW its hard to 4get someone that uve loved for so long all the retarded stuff that keeps reminding you of the things you did , but from the sounds of it shes forgotten about them quite some time ago! As much as i hate to say it, shes using you as a shoulder to cry on . . . backup if you will, its rough but i bet its not far from the truth.

Its gr8 ure gettin out with a bunch of people gettin pissed and havin a good old time, keep doin it you'll find someone who wont screw you around. . . and this time mate try and find someone near the same Postcode as ya, keep in close contact then.

I mean its one thing to have space in a relationship but there was JUST a little too much b4 hand, its good not to see eachother everyday trust me that gets boring, just spread ure time out.

All i'm basically tryin to say, i aint gonna bore ya for hours on end, is just . . . start again. Its hard and im sure everybody whos posted something on here (all quality stuff btw) has been through exactly or near enough the same situation you have gone through so dont think that ure alone, happens to Girls and Guyz

So just chill, be ureself, if no-one likes you for who u are flip em the bird and move on, s'all good there are plenty of fish out there but u want the ones that taste like chicken, nah wha i mean, the keepers.

So just keep goin out and u'll find someone, hope what i said just re-assured your confidence a lil just get out and have fun, dun worry bout nuttin. 8)

Lataz 0X

I haven't seen her now since the end of February and I haven't spoken to for 2 weeks, having not spoken to her for a week previous to that, but then I stupidly buckled as I phoned her when I got drunk and she told me that "I still love you, but I don't want to be in a relationship at this exact time with you or with anyone, and you hassling me makes me not want to see you, I want to see you because I want to and not because you tell me to, so if you just leave me now until July, I will miss you and then wanna see you and we can get sorted before I go to uni in September. I have to go now as I am meeting work mates in the pub, if you phone me again before July I am going to get your number blocked" and then she hung up.

So I haven't spoken to her for two weeks and then out of the blue she sent me a text message a couple of days ago. The text said, "hi ya, havent heard from you for ages, and u havent been on msn either, hows things? text back xxx"

She makes no sense, she told me a couple of weeks ago if i rung her before july, she'd block my number...so i havent...then she says, "havent heard from u for ages"!!

I didn't reply to the text message - any further advice as to what's happening here? I am not very experienced with relationships!

I haven't heard from her in the couple of days since (although I didn't reply to her text)...

Hiya mate, sounds to me like shes got a couple of screws loose upstairs. Its good that you managed to not talk to her for a while but man she is honestly messin with ure head guy 4 real

I mean what does she mean get sorted b4 she goes to UNI in september, what ure gonne see her from mid. July until September then ure gonna be apart again and ure gonna go through the EXACT same cr@p u went through b4, this girl is a vampire man drinking ure blood . I mean come on man, i know u like her still, its hard not to right, but she is playin with you guy and shes da da da da daaa Lovin It !

SO, for now my ONLY advice to you would be to just literally BLOCK that number from ure phone and if u need to call her use ure land line or a pay phone coz otherwise shes gonna be writing u texts and ure gonna read em and just get all messed up in the head again, if u CAN just 4get about her totally guy, shes messin with ure head so much u must be blind with love !

Persoanlly as hard as it is, if i was in ure situation i would just ignore her totally coz this whole leaving it till july to talk is total BS, i mean if she really loved you then. . .why would u wait to talk, i'm in love right now and i cant even see her if i wanted to coz shes too far away, i have to save up ALL my pennys if i wanna, but i talk to her whenever i can !

Just 4get her man, shes playin u like a record, just say PEACE and it was nice when it was nice but now . . . no, BYE !!!

lol Good Luck man just try and not talk to her if u think u cant say hi without saying Love in the conversation.

Laterz 0X