Have to get rid of our dogs!!!

EmptySoul

My fiance and I have a female, 1 year old chinese crested powder puff. And a male 5 year old miniature poodle. The chinese crested we bought as a puppy so we are very very attached to her, she is so cute and has such a good nature. The poodle we got as an adult but we are still attached to him..We are having to move somewhere while we save money for our wedding, it is a very nice apartment but the landlord is strict on no pets and we feel we can't risk it, that we'd be on our a**es if we got caught with them..

I tried looking online to see if dogs feel abandoned forever when you give them to a new owner, or if they will eventually love someone new as much as they loved the first owner. I can't stand the thought of them feeling abandoned forever!?!? I didn't find any answers to how dogs emotions really work with this though, or how long??

e.

Dont feel bad. Yes you'll miss them. Just find them GOOD home, together, or they might miss eachothr. Just dont put them in a shelter, put out ads, vet the homes of the possible new owners.

They will be ok, they might miss you at first. But as long as they are treated well, and loved, they'll love their new owners.

why not try to find an apartment that allows animals? and instead of saving lots of money for a big wedding, maybe spring for a little more expensive place if you have to so you can keep your dogs?

you wouldn't give up your kids, would you? don't give up your dogs.

why not try to find an apartment that allows animals? and instead of saving lots of money for a big wedding, maybe spring for a little more expensive place if you have to so you can keep your dogs?

you wouldn't give up your kids, would you? don't give up your dogs.

Agreed. Find a place that takes pets. Pets aren't disposable items that you get rid of when you want to move to another place.

The chance of finding a home for the two of them together is very slim, and it will probably also be difficult to find a home for the five year old. There are just so many unwanted dogs out there that it won't be easy. Dogs are smart and very emotional, so in my opinion, it would be very hard on them and it could take them a very long time to recover from being given away.

I visit and walk the dogs at my local shelter quite often. The dogs seem very sad, confused and it just seems that they feel they've been abandoned. You can tell alot by looking in their eyes and by their body language. Do you really want to do this to your dogs if you're so attached to them? Couldn't you cut corners on the wedding a bit and get a place that accepts dogs instead?

A wedding is one day out of your life...your dogs will give you joy for years to come.

I vote you keep the dogs. Spring for a pet-friendly apartment. I know they're out there. I'm in college and I even found a place that allows pets, including my snake. My friend found a place that allows her cat.

Try a little harder and do more research. There has to be one you can afford.

The pounds are already so crowded. I doubt you'd be able to give the dogs away together and while dogs can learn to love a new family, it's really very stressful. And what if the "forever" family doesn't want them and puts them in a shelter, or worse, abuses them? Even if you do a home-check, ask for vet references and charge a re-homing fee it's always easy for dogs to end up as bait for dog fights, neglected, and I have even heard horror stories of small dogs and kittens being "adopted" and then used for snake food.

You can never be too sure about the people you give your pets to. Do everything in your power to keep them.

It is not that we can't affort one that takes pets it is that every land lord refuses pets now. CATS ONLY. If you're lucky. Every one I know that has animals is hiding them from their land lords. I feel it is immature to risk being thrown out on the street as strict as all the land lords are now. The place we lived before we had to move out of because of bad tenants that would not move out, they kept getting the cops called constantly, domestic violence, we could hear it all. All hours.

Shelters, pounds, etc. out of the question.

We are trying to find someone we know personally.

e.

landlords who allow pets are out there. trust me. you just have to dig harder. i have a 60 lb shedding and goofy boxer and i haven't paid a pet deposit on her in years b/c she's good. if i can do it, you can.

try looking for private renters instead of realty or managed places. they're usually much more accepting about it. also offer to provide references from previous landlords and previous roommates if you can about the behaviour of the dogs. and offer to pay a pet deposit.

this isn't impossible.

You might be able to find a place, if you are willing to pay a pet deposit.

I have 3 guinea pigs right now and when I was looking for places out here, a lot of places looked askance at guinea pigs. When I found this place, all I had to do was pay a pet deposit and that was that (I get the deposit back when I move out). I think my pet deposit was about $200, which isn't too bad, esp since I got to keep my 4 guinea pigs.

Archived