fiona77

Hello all, My cat has been acting a bit weird over the last week or so. I don't know if it is just because it's summer time and she's wanting to go outside to explore, or if she has a screw loose. Here's a little history on her. She was a stray that I adopted. When I took her to the vet to get her fixed and get her shots he said she was probably about 3 years old and in good health. I have had her for about a year and she has always been extremely interested in looking out the windows and playing a lot. Recently she has been making a run for it and has gotten out a couple of times. I have always been able to get her back in relatively quickly. Now that she knows what's on the other side of the door, she sits at the door yowling. She is also afraid of the shower, but last night as I was in the shower she hopped up onto the rim of the bathtub and just yowled at me. She has also been hiding more than usual and seems to get spooked more easily than usual. I know these are all kind of vague things, but she seems a bit off to me. Just wondering if anyone out there can shed some insight, or has had similar things happen with their fur people.

I think you should set her free. She has the scent of your house on her paws and will find her way back home. Cats are natural outdoor animals and I am sure she just wants to go do some exploring. Do you live in a safe neighborhood? If so, let her go play. I am positive she remembers what it was like to be a stray cat and that she knows that you take good care of her. I doubt she would run off forever.

I think you should set her free. She has the scent of your house on her paws and will find her way back home. Cats are natural outdoor animals and I am sure she just wants to go do some exploring. Do you live in a safe neighborhood? If so, let her go play. I am positive she remembers what it was like to be a stray cat and that she knows that you take good care of her. I doubt she would run off forever.

Yes, you're right. Cats definitely are natural explorers and I feel a bit guilty about keeping her inside. I don't live in a "dangerous" neighborhood, but there are some busy streets nearby and a lot of other animals roaming about. I just don't really feel safe letting her out. I thought about maybe getting her a harness and a leash. That way I could at least take her outside a little bit. The only problem is they can usually get out of harnesses/leashes and run off.

She's just got nature fever. I'm not necessarily going to tell you to let her out, but if you do, make sure you're there and keeping an eye on her, as well as make sure she has a collar with her name on it. My parents have 4 cats that go out whenever they feel like it and always come back, they usually don't stray beyond 1-2 yards over. They know where they've got it good. They mix it up with the raccoons, possums and skunks every now and then, but for the most part they're aware of the dangers.

Archived