Swallowing Pills

Why is it when I swallow pills no matter how big or small everytime it feels like it is stuck in my throat for atleast an hour. I know it isn't stuck or anything but it feels like it. Why? Anyone else have this happen?

I usually drink it with water or milk and plenty of it so it isn't like i'm dry swallowing. It's quite annoying.

Happens to me with larger pills and it's awful. I was told to put the pill toward the back of your throat and drink lots of water. It helps sometimes but other times it gets stuck and I sometimes barf it up. I hate taking pills.

Happens to me with larger pills and it's awful. I was told to put the pill toward the back of your throat and drink lots of water. It helps sometimes but other times it gets stuck and I sometimes barf it up. I hate taking pills.

That's what happens with me too I end up gagging alot of times to the point I throw the pill up..

They are the capsules (i think thats what they are called.. the soft pills with the powder in them) so I can't break them in half or do anything like that with them.

I have Acid Reflux so that's an added problem as to why it feels like it's in my throat/food tube after I take it.

Drink some water/juice beforehand, to moisten your food tube so it may go down smoother, then take it. See if that helps at all. As you can see, you're not alone and it's quite common. I think it's normal for most though.

They are the capsules (i think thats what they are called.. the soft pills with the powder in them) so I can't break them in half or do anything like that with them.

My mother usually opens up the capsules and pours the powder contents out and mixes it in a glass of water because she also has problems swallowing pills/capsules.

That's what happens with me too I end up gagging alot of times to the point I throw the pill up..

As long as they are not sustained release capsules you can break them open and spill the powder into some pudding or applesauce and take them that way. We do a lot of that with elderly patients who can't swallow whole pills.

Are they your prenatals? You should be able to break those open.

Curse pills!! LOL If I didn't have to take them I really wouldn't.

For the first 4 months of my pregnancy I threw up my prenatal and my DHA supplement pretty much every day, just the sensation of them going down made me gag. I eventually learned to take them at night and that did help some.... but whoever designed prenatals to be so freakin' big is obviously not someone who has ever been pregnant and nauseous.

As long as they are not sustained release capsules you can break them open and spill the powder into some pudding or applesauce and take them that way. We do a lot of that with elderly patients who can't swallow whole pills.

Are they your prenatals? You should be able to break those open.

they are all controlled released (or something like that?) one is the iron pill definitely can't do that and my doctor doesn't want me doing that with the others either.

The prenatals i'm able to break in half

they are all controlled released (or something like that?) one is the iron pill definitely can't do that and my doctor doesn't want me doing that with the others either.

The prenatals i'm able to break in half

Oh, yeah, you can't do that with controlled release pills. I like glegend's idea of putting water in your mouth first though, maybe that will do it?

Or, you can alternately try whole pills in applesauce or pudding, some people find they go down better with something thicker to help them slide down.

i'm not literally asking you to chug beer. but use the same technique but with water. open your throat up the same way.

I know you weren't talking about beer, it's not easy to chug anything when pregnant even water.. The gag reflex is worse atleast always has been for me

Archived