Guys with hang ups on overweight girls.

tulipsfav

I think the primary issue for me is cardio. I need cardio, move my ass, get my heart and blood pumping. I enjoy that and try to do it the most. But I do lift. I'll dead lift my 35lb dog next. haha!

Why do you think that cardio is the primary issue? You've never lifted heavy weight - your heart will feel like it's gonna jump out of your chest - don't take my word for it, ask ghost69. I'll just say this - of all the women that regularly spend time in the weight room at my gym, not a single one is overweight. That can hardly be said of the women in the cardio room.

Iphigenia, I don't think you are eating enough, given your level of workout exercise. Would also add more fiber, black beans or other types of bean, raw or steamed vegetables, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, peppers, squash. Add more nutty fats, sunflower seeds, almonds and peanuts sparingly. Maybe I missed something, but your diet looks like a starvation diet, and those will put our body into a crisis holding pattern if you are getting lots of simultaneous exercise.

Sorry to turn this into the "poke and prod at Iphigeniasayshi" thread, but just doesn't look like you are feeding enough calories to grow the muscles to burn the fat through a higher metabolism to me.

Maybe, maybe not. She's not listing quantities or total calories.

The problem is that it's very difficult for Iphy to increase her metabolism.

Hence my beating my head against the wall about lifting. Adding muscle boosts metabolism. Guaranteed.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a strange balance with the PCOS. Most people with it that have successfully lost weight say it's a balance of eating a ton of very specific things but not overeating.

I am from the old school with my dad's tips throughout my life. You just eat basics and work out and you're set. The whole eat less move more theory.

It's just complicated with the insulin resistance.

Why do you think that cardio is the primary issue? You've never lifted heavy weight - your heart will feel like it's gonna jump out of your chest - don't take my word for it, ask ghost69. I'll just say this - of all the women that regularly spend time in the weight room at my gym, not a single one is overweight. That can hardly be said of the women in the cardio room.

Maybe, maybe not. She's not listing quantities or total calories.

Hence my beating my head against the wall about lifting. Adding muscle boosts metabolism. Guaranteed.

Trust me I know weights are important for cardio. That's why I do cardio with them! lol

I don't have access to heavy weights. I think my dad has 30's and some old bar bell ones up to 50. How heavy are you suggesting?

It's a strange balance with the PCOS. Most people with it that have successfully lost weight say it's a balance of eating a ton of very specific things but not overeating.

I am from the old school with my dad's tips throughout my life. You just eat basics and work out and you're set. The whole eat less move more theory.

It's just complicated with the insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance and low blood sugar? How does that work out?

Trust me I know weights are important for cardio. That's why I do cardio with them! lol

I don't have access to heavy weights. I think my dad has 30's and some old bar bell ones up to 50. How heavy are you suggesting?

Eh, I'm sure the guys will have specific numbers for you, but when I worked at a gym... the general idea was that you are supposed to lift to fatigue. And that if you were doing more than 15 reps (as a female) then you aren't lifting heavy enough. So usual guidelines would be 3 sets of 8-14 reps. However, again from working in a gym, I will say that I don't know if there is a generic right answer. I've seen women do all sorts of things (from lifting more to running etc. carb cycling, etc.) and it seems that it depends a lot on the body type and their genetic make up.

I'm suggesting you get the book NROL4W and start doing those exercises, starting with very light weights, and with proper form, adding a tiny bit of weight each time. Eventually you will need more weight than you have at home. Solutions are gym membership or buy more weights for home (the latter is very inexpensive, as you can readily get used weights on Craigslist). Plus, I'm sure your dad would be psyched to see you lifting and help you outfit a little home gym.

I'm suggesting you get the book NROL4W and start doing those exercises, starting with very light weights, and with proper form, adding a tiny bit of weight each time. Eventually you will need more weight than you have at home. Solutions are gym membership or buy more weights for home (the latter is very inexpensive, as you can readily get used weights on Craigslist). Plus, I'm sure your dad would be psyched to see you lifting and help you outfit a little home gym.

I already have weights everywhere. lol We have 2's, 5's, 10's, 20's, and 30's. Plus my 8lb medicine ball and some resistance bands of varying strengths.

My mom is always tripping over the weights.

Sigh. Guess I have to buy the book. Do you get royalties or something? lol

My poor dad can't even put his coat on anymore. His shoulder is torn.

Insulin resistance and low blood sugar? How does that work out?

It DOESN'T work out. haha

Oh my. I technically have insulin resistance from my pcos.

..But my blood sugar is always low. I pass out, I shake, my head feels fuzzy, my tongue goes numb, my vision blurs. I feel like this whenever I haven't eaten.

I already have weights everywhere. lol We have 2's, 5's, 10's, 20's, and 30's. Plus my 8lb medicine ball and some resistance bands of varying strengths.

My mom is always tripping over the weights.

Sigh. Guess I have to buy the book. Do you get royalties or something? lol

My poor dad can't even put his coat on anymore. His shoulder is torn.

No, no royalties. I'm just so glad there is a book out there that encourages women to lift real weights. You have no idea how many overweight girls I see come into the weight room, do what seems like 50 reps of some exercise with a weight that a determined toddler could lift, and then leave, never to be seen again. No wonder - lifting like that is ridiculously boring and produces negligible effects.

Nah, you can do the work setting it up. My point is your dad would help give you tips, etc. I'm sure he'd be excited about it, being a former bodybuilder.

..But my blood sugar is always low. I pass out, I shake, my head feels fuzzy, my tongue goes numb, my vision blurs. I feel like this whenever I haven't eaten.

You can have hypoglycemia and insulin resistance at the same time

No, no royalties. I'm just so glad there is a book out there that encourages women to lift real weights. You have no idea how many overweight girls I see come into the weight room, do what seems like 50 reps of some exercise with a weight that a determined toddler could lift, and then leave, never to be seen again. No wonder - lifting like that is ridiculously boring and produces negligible effects.

Nah, you can do the work setting it up. My point is your dad would help give you tips, etc. I'm sure he'd be excited about it, being a former bodybuilder.

What is the weight number you would suggest? You normally see these overweight girls lifting what type of weight?

No I didn't expect he would set it up. lol I was just commenting. Feel bad for him. You people always expecting me to take the easy way out... LOL

What's with the happy face, Dragon??? HMM!?

lol

I hate it. It's strange because your body wants food (aka carbs) but your waistline doesn't.

I'm sorry. I was just saying that you are right. You can have both. Correct answers deserve a smiley

I used to get it all the time when I had IR. It was particularly bad when I was exercising or when I was hungry. I used to pass out a lot. It's when I actually ate that my blood sugar went high.

I'm just trying to understand how that works out. What I understand is that insulin resistance leads to high blood sugar levels. Is that correct?

I mean, how do you even manage that?

I'm sorry. I was just saying that you are right. You can have both. Correct answers deserve a smiley

I used to get it all the time when I had IR. It was particularly bad when I was exercising or when I was hungry. I used to pass out a lot. It's when I actually ate that my blood sugar went high.

I was just kidding. You corrected your IR with weight loss, right?

What is the weight number you would suggest? You normally see these overweight girls lifting what type of weight?

I'm suggesting you . . . start doing those exercises, starting with very light weights, and with proper form, adding a tiny bit of weight each time.

Eventually, depending on the set/rep scheme (3x5 is popular), you will be lifting as much as you can lift on a particular exercise for 3 sets of 5 reps. Meaning that particular muscle group will be damn near total exhaustion after the final set. And the next time you do that exercise, you will be lifting a tiny bit more (1-5lbs, depending on the exercise).

Once you get past the initial phase of learning proper form with light weight, and start getting into the challenging weights, you will discover this is *very* hard work. You will then kick yourself for wasting time in the past on light weights. And b/c it is so rewarding to complete a challenging set, you will look forward to your next session. Unlike with boring, high rep, light weight workouts, where your mind is wandering, and all you really want to do is hurry up and finish and leave and never come back.

I'm just trying to understand how that works out. What I understand is that insulin resistance leads to high blood sugar levels. Is that correct?

I mean, how do you even manage that?

You can have varying degrees in insulin resistance. When I had it my fasting glucose level was low, but once I had the (disgusting) sugar drink it went really high. Some people will have low glucose levels while fasting and others will have normal. It's more about how your body tolerates the sugar after consuming it.

I was just kidding. You corrected your IR with weight loss, right?

It appeared to go away after I lost weight because my most recent test showed that it was normal. I'm starting to think that being on Yasmin & Yaz had something to do with the IR though. I found this in the booklet: "In particular, some progestogens are known to decrease HDL cholesterol and cause glucose intolerance, while estrogens may create a state of hyperinsulinism."

You can have varying degrees in insulin resistance. When I had it my fasting glucose level was low, but once I had the (disgusting) sugar drink it went really high. Some people will have low glucose levels while fasting and others will have normal. It's more about how your body tolerates the sugar after consuming it.

Oh, I see. Wow, that must be really tough. I tend to get low blood sugar levels too, but it's nothing a little food doesn't fix. And it's probably because I don't get hungry very often. I usually base whether I should eat food or not on how my head feels.

It appeared to go away after I lost weight because my most recent test showed that it was normal. I'm starting to think that being on Yasmin & Yaz had something to do with the IR though. I found this in the booklet: "In particular, some progestogens are known to decrease HDL cholesterol and cause glucose intolerance, while estrogens may create a state of hyperinsulinism."

DAMMIT. I'm on Yaz. ](*,)

DAMMIT. I'm on Yaz. ](*,)

I don't know what to say. I was put on Yaz to treat the symptoms after I had had a break from Yasmin 8 months or so. No one ever mentioned to me that it would cause any problems. This is just what I've found from doing my own research, so don't take my word for it. I'm not a doctor.

Think you should consider starting off with 3 x 10 reps at 50% max for a couple weeks getting the form down and dealing with early soreness, as opposed to 3 x 5 at a higher %, then after that, agree with diabolik's plan.

She won't know what her max is, that's why I suggested starting very light and focus on getting form down. Anyway, I'm sure the book goes into this.

Archived