Have You Ever Been Fired And You Don't Know Why

I have a question because I feel quite agitated.

I was fired from a job around three months ago, and I have no idea why. I worked hard, had a great attitude, did fairly well, got along well with my co-workers, and yet was fired, and no reason given.

Same happened before when I worked at ebay. I worked hard, did well, got along well with my coworkers. I was ambitious and had a great attitude. Yet was fired again without notice and without reason.

I just don't understand. Every single job I have had, I have worked hard and been a model employee. And I have had previous employers who loved me. Some even said, when I quit, that I was welcome to come back any time I wanted.

I just don't understand, because it seems that keeping a job has almost nothing to do with one's work ethic or ability. If your boss likes you, they keep you. If they don't, they fire you. At every single job I have had, I have worked by butt off, shown initiative, been early, stayed late...ect. I have always been well beyond what any reasonable employer could ask for. Yet some employers have loved me and couldn't get enough of me, while others fired me for no reasoon.

Does it make any sense???

Well, it's illegal to simply 'fire' someone without cause. If you were 'laid off' that's a different story.

You can fire someone for any reason in an "at will" employment state. As long as it doesn't violate the EEOC.

Technically, I was laid off. But other teachers got to keep their positions...even one without a teaching credential, whereas I was fully qualified!

I do think it has a lot to do with the boss' favorites. My boss (the site principal) favored Spanish-speaking, Mexican women. She did not care much for whites, native English speakers, or men. I don't know why. She was a new transfer so she did not even have time to observe my skills.

A white (gay) male teacher nextdoor to my classroom got booted from his position and was offered something he didn't want for the next year. He was so upset that he quit. Funny how all the positions were filled with Spanish-speaking, Latino women...what SHE happened to be!

Racism is supposed to be illegal but it's practiced every day.

It just makes me sick thinking about it. Thinking about how hard I worked, how much sacrifice I made, and to be dismissed and not be given an explanation actually makes me feel physically ill.

I just can't believe I am 25 and have worked so very very hard, and yet have no career to show for it. And people think I am lazy - They think I lack ambition and don't try. They have no idea that I have probably worked 10 times harder than they have in thier entire lives, and yet still haven't had career success.

Were you denied unemployment after you got let go?

If you get unemployment and they don't contest it, it means that they didn't fire you for cause (problems), but it was a business decision or lay off.

Almost everybody has been let go at some point, and in this economy, possible many times. Reasons can be politics, budget cuts, any number of reasons that don't mean you were a bad employee, just that they decided to let you go for whatever reason they had.

I got let go once because my boss was too friendly with me and i gave him the cold shoulder (i.e., he was treading the sexual harassment line), and he found out i was looking for another job and got mad and fired me on the spot. The other time was when another long term employee who was friends with the boss wanted a different job than the one he had and wanted my job, so they let me go in order to give him that job.

I got unemployment each time so it was not technically a firing but being laid off.

btw, you just can't take these kinds of things personally. you may have been dismissed for all the WRONG reasons (i.e., someone who was friends with the boss got your job, or they were saving cronies and letting others go to do so, or they were letting older people go to bring in cheaper younger people etc.).

they will not tell you the reason they let you go if they have a shady or less than ethical reason for doing so. legally they don't have to tell you, so they don't.

Well, that's good then!

So it just means it was some kind of a business decision.

btw, some companies have a policy of NOT telling people why they got discharged because they don't want lawsuits (i.e., they don't want you coming back with a lawyer to prove why you didn't do what they said you did). So it could just be company policy to not give any reasons to anybody.

I wouldn't take it personally... happens to most people at some point, especially in economies like this one.

Archived