overweight & dating

sunspot1982

I don't like to rush to judgments when it comes to overweight people, because they're not all eating themselves to death. Some have medical issues that just keep them from losing weight. They can be a health conscious person who balances their meals, and they just pack on pounds. On the other hand, you can have someone who crams themselves with junk food 10 times a day, and they're rail thin. It's not good to jump to conclusions, because it's not always so black and white.

Is overweight unattractive? Yes, I'm not denying that. I would date a chubby girl, but not a morbidly obese girl. Curves can be attractive, but fat is just unattractive. Does that make me shallow? I don't think so, I'm attracted to what I'm attracted to, and that's how it is. I'm sure there are plenty of women who wouldn't date a skinny man, either. But there are so many different individual preferences, that you can't really say that an overweight guy can't date a thin girl. That chubby guy and skinny girl might just click.

If it's possible to lose the weight, though, you should do it. If you are sitting at home and eating yourself to death, you're going to have a multitude of health problems.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure why so much hostlity. Were you once largely obese? That is the only reason I could fathom that you could muster up so much venom for large people.

Or just scared of being fat. Or not even fat, just feeling a particular way associated with fat or not totally in shape.

I can sort of relate: from back in my fitness-fanatic one-extra-pound-is-scary-as-hell days.

Then life happens and you realize you can either mellow out or live in fear forever.

Being fit doesn't necessarily mean you love your body, respect it, nor accept it unconditionally.

Well anyways, no hate here Ariel.

• 3 weeks later...
I have to side with Ariel on this one.

Fat people are out of control and most are rationalizing that there is more to life (like you Crazyaboutdogs and the Original Poster). In the meantime, healthy people are footing the bill for all the medical problems the fatties are causing the health care industry.

Then what is the solution? You're always going to run into people who don't want to take care of their weight and they have a right to live that way. That is if you live in America people have the right to decide just how healthy they want to be or not be.

The only solution I can think of is to change the laws so that each individual is responsible for the outcome of their own health so that the rest of us don't have our medical insurance effected.

What else can you do? You can't pass laws that require people to eat healthy and exercise. The government doesn't have the time or the resources to police everyone's health. Nobody can be forced to get healthy if they really don't want to. It all has to come from within a person.

There are also fitness junkies who get obsessed with their workout. I personally don't agree with someone being so obsessed with working out 8 hours a day 7 days a week at the gym but it is their body they have to live with. It's none of my business if they want to risk damaging and pulling muscles from overexercising.

I've only skimmed this thread so sorry if I'm not 100% on topic.

My ex who was very petite managed to put on about 20 lbs. from when I met her to when I moved out to her state, and it didn't bother me a bit. But if she hadn't decided to exercise to keep her weight stable at that point, I *would* have been worried - I think it's important to stay healthy no matter what your weight.

And definitely it's different strokes for different folks. I have several guy friends who prefer taller girls while I like them shorter. And another friend is crazy about girls who are a little "thicker" than I prefer; he loves 'em a bit bigger and he is not overweight himself.

Just stay fit, don't obsess about your weight, and stay confident, charismatic and fun to be with. Guaranteed that someone will appreciate the real you if you present yourself positively.

Archived