Long story short, I broke up with my girlfriend of a year about a month 1/2 ago. Deep down with both knew it was right... but as they go -- nobody likes them or likes to go through them.

This is actually the first person in all of my dating history to which I would still like to be friends. I didn't think that would ever happen to me. So if she still took me as one I would be delighted.

...I'm posting though because her birthday is coming up and I was wondering if you think things are cool to send a message to say what's up or would that only stir up problems?

I do still care about her and hope she is doing well, etc. I see her online quite a bit and feel bizarre not saying anything.

Realizing it depends on the nature of the break (this was relatively good), what would you take me contacting you to mean?

I would contact her. You broke up on good terms and there is no reason why you shouldn't talk unless it was an abusive situation or you can't handle the emotions right now.

Yes, I think a simple happy birthday e-card or greeting followed up by a "let's get in touch sometime" (or something like that) could be a good door opener. Or you could just leave it at the birthday greeting. If you care about her and don't have a reason NOT to contact her, I think it'd be sweet.

I would contact her. You broke up on good terms and there is no reason why you shouldn't talk unless it was an abusive situation or you can't handle the emotions right now.

Yes, I think a simple happy birthday e-card or greeting followed up by a "let's get in touch sometime" (or something like that) could be a good door opener. Or you could just leave it at the birthday greeting. If you care about her and don't have a reason NOT to contact her, I think it'd be sweet.

I agree. If your intentions are truly friends and you don't feel you'll be hurt by her rejection, extend the olive branch.

Archived