Is the car insurance my responsibility?

BronzedSkin123

I bought a car but was saving up additional money to purchase car insurance.

Unfortunately, my mother's car broke down and she needed a car ASAP so she could get to work. She used my car. She put the insurance on it and we share it.

She is always criticizing me and saying I am worthless and how I can't even pay my own car insurance..yet technically, I don't feel the car insurance is my responsibility. She put the car insurance that was on her old car onto my car so she could get to work.

Unfortunately, my mother's car broke down and she needed a car ASAP so she could get to work. She used my car. She put the insurance on it and we share it.

She is always criticizing me and saying I am worthless and how I can't even pay my own car insurance..yet technically, I don't feel the car insurance is my responsibility. She put the car insurance that was on her old car onto my car so she could get to work.

I don't quite understand...the moment you buy a car you need to have car insurance...in other words, when you buy a car you need to make sure you have the money at hand to get car insurance. Car insurance can usually be paid on a monthly basis so you don't have to fork out all the money at once. If you are sharing the car then you should share the insurance. However, parents usually do try to help out their children in a financial crunch..so your mother is not being very nice and motherly.

I don't quite understand...the moment you buy a car you need to have car insurance...in other words, when you buy a car you need to make sure you have the money at hand to get car insurance. Car insurance can usually be paid on a monthly basis so you don't have to fork out all the money at once. If you are sharing the car then you should share the insurance. However, parents usually do try to help out their children in a financial crunch..so your mother is not being very nice and motherly.

I agree with this. The car insurance is supposed to be bought when you get the car and begin driving it. Once you have it, if she is going to use it with you as in share it for a little while she should reimburse you for some of it, but I don't thihnk she should cover all of it, because what if you wreck the car? she is then 100% responsible with it on her insurance.

If i was only borrowing the car i would reimburse the owner for some of the insurance but I wouldn't want it in my name and pay it 100%. I don't get the advantage of owning the car, thus would not want to have to pay 100% for the insurance.

If she borrows it indefinitely from now on (but i do think you are sharing it, so she isn't the sole driver) then she should pay a good portion of the insurance to you, but it should be in your name as you are the owner of the car.

I agree she has not been a very nice mom, but if it is your car the insurance should be a policy in your name and she help you with it, but not all of it.... i still encourage you to make as many pains as you can to move out....even if you have to move in with a couple of roommates.

I bought the car with money I saved up over the summer. It costs me quite a bit. I got it from a private seller at a used car lot. I didn't need to have car insurance to drive it off the lot.

From what i understand it is illegal to drive a car without insurance in most states, even if driving it off the lot. If you were not stopped by an officer then you were lucky...but technically most places want insurance on a car before it hits the road because you could have gotten in a wreck even in a short distance - regardless of if it was a private owner sale.

We understand you are saying you didn't have the money at the time for the insurance, but since you are asking whose responsibilty is getting the insurance policy, yours or your mom's, technically it is yours as the car owner.

You benefit as well with her having gotten the policy because you likely are also driving the car.

In this situation because I feel more comfortable about my own driving skills vs my daughter's who is your age i would tell her i would pay all or most of her insurance while I was using it, but I would not put it in my name. I'd rather not have the liability to have a young driver's insurance policy in my name.

From what i understand it is illegal to drive a car without insurance in most states, even if driving it off the lot. If you were not stopped by an officer then you were lucky...but technically most places want insurance on a car before it hits the road because you could have gotten in a wreck even in a short distance.

We understand you are saying you didn't have the money at the time for the insurance, but since you are asking whose responsibilty is getting the insurance policy, yours or your mom's, technically it is yours as the car owner.

You benefit as well with her having gotten the policy because you likely are also driving the car.

The used car lot is right down the street from where I live, so it was only a few blocks away, which is why I didn't get pulled over

But I did not drive the car anywehre without insurance. I caught the bus to work. It stayed put in the backyard while I was saving up for the insurance.

I bought the car with money I saved up over the summer. It costs me quite a bit.(It's in my name) I got it from a private seller at a used car lot. I didn't need to have car insurance to drive it off the lot.

I don't know if you are in the US or not but it's illegal to drive without insurance in almost every US state.

If you bought the car, you would have to insure it before it is registered, right? So while not agreeing with how your mother is treating you, you would have to be paying for insurance regardless of how often she borrows the car.

You should be paying the car insurance yourself. Letting your mothre borrow the car is simply you being nice to help your mother.

Why buy a car if you can't afford the insurance?

SO you bought the car, with no intention of driving it until you had insurance? (I just read the posts that were posted while I was typing my original post.

If you did not plan on having the car on the road, then yes, your mother should be paying the insurance.

Wow Im surprised they even let u drive down the block without insurance...isn't that against the law?

Anyway - your mom is being very nasty towards you, you are letting her drive the car & she says you are worthless? Are we not getting the full story? Did she give ANY money towards the car when you purchased it?

Technically since the car is under your name & your responsibilty you should be paying the insurance. You are just letting your mom borrow the car. If you dont want her to drive it, get ur own insurance...

Edit - after reading all the posts Im so confused lol.

Wow Im surprised they even let u drive down the block without insurance...isn't that against the law?

Anyway - your mom is being very nasty towards you, you are letting her drive the car & she says you are worthless? Are we not getting the full story? Did she give ANY money towards the car when you purchased it?

Technically since the car is under your name & your responsibilty you should be paying the insurance. You are just letting your mom borrow the car. If you dont want her to drive it, get ur own insurance...

Nope, I saved up for the car on my own.

Now, when I move out, should the car stay or go with me?

Nope, I saved up for the car on my own.

Now, when I move out, should the car stay or go with me?

Well are you going to drive the car & do u have enough money for insurance??

Its under your name so you should take it UNLESS you have no intentions of driving it & cant afford the insurance.

Maybe "sell" the car to your mom.

I think you are equally responsible for the car insurance. Is the car in your name or her name or both? If you drive the car, you should at least pay something on the insurance. However, it is very childish and rude of her to call you worthless. What kind of parent calls their child out like that?

I would say that if you are both driving the car, then split the insurance cost, since you're benefiting from her insurance.

If she only is driving the car, then she should insure it and you should not have to pay.

Since you paid for the car, when you move out, it should go with you, and you should remove her insurance and acquire your own, which you should then pay 100% of.

Your mom sounds like a piece of work to talk to you that way. Don't let her manipulate you into giving her the car that you paid dearly for.

I see it this way you guys are both insured on the car. There is one primary driver and one secondary driver. Whoever is the primary should take care of their part of the insurance and the secondary driver take care of their part.

I also believe that your mom should not be using your car to go to work every day. She could take public transit. On the days that you are not using it then she could take it. The car depreciates in value day by day and accumulates kilometers/miles day by day. By the time you move out your going to need a replacement car.

Archived