Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Wearing no shirt because it's hot (question for men)

Lucy__lou

Living in America you'd complain over 62% of the time

LOL...about the same here:sad:

I think it's all about context. Walking around the city, supermarkets, malls, going to cinemas etc etc....no top is out of place.

At home, on beach, near beach etc it is OK.

Wow. I just threw up in mouth.

Judging and looking down on people like your gods gift to earth is only going to hurt you in the long run. You might want to seek counseling.

Seek counselling to help me learn to love the macho culture I live in? Like all the other girls who I feel sorry for?

I almost threw up in MY mouth.

When I used to go to Florida, depending on the time and place you would go to, you would see guys without a shirt and women wearing their bikini tops. I think its perfectly acceptable, but there are limits to when it is alright not to wear a shirt and when its not.

As there aren't many opportunities for fellas to go topless in the UK very often due to weather conditions, I must admit that it's not that I disapprove but I just can't help but stare! 'Oooo man-nipples, havent seen those in a while..'

I know it's childish. :splat:

There are lots of professions and organizations that are female dominated in Australia. There is anything to do with health care or health care administration tends to be totally dominated by women, as well as education and finance. Its just a matter of preference. A lot of women do things that could be considered tasteless.. just because men find you sexy does not mean you have the green light to show us much flesh as you want because others might find it offensive. What about the bum tight pants women wear all over the place ? They also show plenty of skin so what is wrong with a man wearing no shirt.. Lucy I think you take things a little bit too seriously. I had big muscles and if I wanted to show them off by not wearing a shirt after a hard days work what is so wrong with that ? This culture is as much as part of a woman's way of life as it is a mans. I loved being able to (back in the day) sit around on hot day half naked with a bunch of kids my own age. Its really good part of being Australian and I wouldn't want to trade that away for the sake of being politically correct.

• 5 years later...

I wear a shirt in public and around the house (except for like the one man said when doing hard work or just got out of the pool etc.) out of courtesy to men who may be embarrassed to not wear a shirt...old and out of shape...obese...stretch marks etc. It sort of evens the score for everyone. As far as it's cooler...how much cooler can it really be?... and besides you adapt to not wearing a shirt after an hour and it makes no difference. But if you just like not wearing a shirt and that's how you were raised good for you...but if you're doing it for the sole reason of showing off and getting on peoples nerves that's another story

• 5 months later...

I think with regards to people who aren't Australian commenting on Australian culture, I'd advise you just to think about it first before commenting.

Lucy, can I ask what's your personal background like?

I have a feeling that this feeling can often be because of cultural differences in the way we've been brought up.

I share pretty much the same feelings as you. And to top it off I am a guy. I have a relatively okay body, I'm athletic and lean but not shredded, but I do, unless I'm in the pool or have just gotten out of the water, keep my shirt on.

Why?

Well, it's part of my upbringing I guess. I share in the fact that it is somewhat more ungentlemanly in my perspective that men go topless needlessly. Like one of the previous posters said, it's kinda gives ME the impression that "hey, there's not much more to me in terms of conversation, personality, character or attitude so here, focus on my body".

Is it perhaps a little arrogant and judgmental to think that way? Well, yes and no. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. By god I have a heap of close friends who will do it. Do I make them less of a friend because they do it? No. Do I prefer if they were all like me and chose to wear their clothes, well, yeah, but we're all different and that's what makes us, us. We're all unique. And that's what makes us human.

Anyway. In saying that I have run around the neighborhood once, topless, on a 37degree to try it out while excusing myself because of the heat, and yes, it was different and somewhat delightfully refreshing. Would I do it again? Maybe. But I personally still like to think that it's slightly more socially acceptable or emotionally "safe" just to keep my clothes on until it's necessary otherwise.

Archived