would it be dangerous to go and visit a guy I met online?

samantha20

I actually flew to a different country to stay with a guy I'd never met. Nothing bad happened except he turned out to be a pathological liar with a drug problem. LOL. Although I was not in danger and enjoyed hanging out with him for 2 days, watching DVDs etc, I would not do it again - just because he turned out to lie about a lot of stuff and was a user. It is easy for guys to lie about things so it's better to be wary. Although my gut feeling of me not being in danger was right, I do wish I hadn't have been so manipulated by him and believed everything he told me. Also when I was a kid I often went to visit and stay at penpal's houses, most of whom I'd never met before and they were all cool people (some female friends and at least one male friend). I think if you are worried about it that much that you are posting here though, then it is better to stay in a B&B the first time you meet him. Sure, it'll cost more, but if you are unsure of him it's better to do that than risk anything. You can find a cheap B&B that will only cost £20 or £25 for a night. He may turn out to be a great person and when you feel more confident you can then stay with him in the future maybe. Let friends/family know where you're going and his contact details just incase anything does happen.

I would not meet a guy in person under any circumstances who argued with me about my views on safety and tried to pressure me with silly references to "the media". If this is how he acts before you meet, just imagine how little regard he will have for your views on things after.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said here, don't stay at his house. Also, arrange your own transportation/accommodation to and from his city if you do go, and if you can, try to get a friend or two to come with you.

But if I were you I wouldn't go at all. He's ridiculing your fears and concerns, and you haven't even met him! That is definitely a red flag!

i would not trust him. whenever i meet someone for the first time i do offer a ride out of courtesy, and i will never insist on it. there are some girls that take it, and i actually then question their judgement in my head since i am a stranger- they are just lucky im not a 'bad' person.

If he is such a friend, he would understand your need for safety and not pressure you into staying with someone that you don't know. I bet he wouldn't be thrilled about some random man doing that to some female in his family.

The point we are all trying to drive home is you don't know this guy from Joe Brown....He could be a complete gentleman or he could be deranged. You don't know who he is because you don't know him.

The part about giving someone his address is ridiculous because he could be giving you an address to the local convienant store.....He seems to eager if you ask me.

Archived