Water drinking for Ultrasound

Aurian

Well, I have an ultrasound today (in an hour actually), and I have to drink about 32 oz of water beforehand.

I`m having the ultrasound to diagnose stomach troubles. The problem is, I can`t drink that much water. I am about to throw up after 24 oz and my stomach is cramping badly.

Is it important to have that last 8 oz?

Well, I have an ultrasound today (in an hour actually), and I have to drink about 32 oz of water beforehand.

I`m having the ultrasound to diagnose stomach troubles. The problem is, I can`t drink that much water. I am about to throw up after 24 oz and my stomach is cramping badly.

i don't think they mean slam it in one sitting. pace it out a bit.

Aww I am sorry. I have had ultrasounds where I needed to drink. I do not know if the same is necessarily true in your situation, but what I was told was to drink until I had to pee. The more you feel the urge to go, the clearer they can see. Don't throw up! Try drinking to your limit, and walking around. Maybe you can ask them about this?

i don't think they mean slam it in one sitting. pace it out a bit.

They want you to drink it all within half an hour, and I`m already drinking too slow

Aww I am sorry. I have had ultrasounds where I needed to drink. I do not know if the same is necessarily true in your situation, but what I was told was to drink until I had to pee. The more you feel the urge to go, the clearer they can see. Don't throw up! Try drinking to your limit, and walking around. Maybe you can ask them about this?

Okay, so it might still be okay as long as I am full down there... wasn`t able to ask them unfortunately - I only received a list of what I was supposed to do to prepare!

Just get down as much as you can without throwing up. Try for that last 8 ounces. I know.....ughhhhhhhhh after having u/s for pregnancy there were times I was doing the pee pee dance and had to relieve some BEFORE the u/s or I was going to burst.

Yeah, I`m already starting to feel worried about leaving puddles around like a puppy...

Don't drink cold water, but lukewarm. And as suggested above, divide it in portions. Maybe drink 3x 10 oz, spread out over this hour? Seems to me that you are having the ultrasound for a reason! Good luck!

It is very important. I had one once and didn't drink the required amount. They tried to perform the ultrasound and couldn't. I had to reschedule and make sure i had the full amount so thta bladder was full.

It was painful waiting in the waiting room for the time they made me wait wiht a full bladder. God i never want to do that again.

You are going to have to drink the amount they say. I am very small and have a pretty small bladder and even I was sent away because I didn't drink the entire 32 oz they wanted me to prior even tho i did have to go pee...it wasn't full enough. it felt very full but it has to be VERY full to the point it almost (or does) hurts.

My dad had the same thing - it was funny cause he drank all the water they told him to (he's not a big water drinker either) & then complained he had too much water in him. He had 3 different ultrasounds though that day and they told him to go pee because it was way too much water.

Drink it slow but not too slow you only have 30 or 45mins right?

Oh man, I remember when I had to drink a couple of bottles of water before an ultrasound. I was told to drink it an hour before my appointment. I was busting to go by then, but I was determined to hold on. After sitting there with my legs crossed for almost 2 hours I ran over to the woman at the desk and told her that I am going to pee right now whether they like it or not. I ran to the bathroom and went. As soon as I came back out the US technician came to get me and then told me it didn't really matter about the water anyway.

I was sooo annoyed. I sat there in absolute discomfort for over 90 minutes and then they tell me it doesn't even matter.

Not sure what you're going in for, but I just thought I'd share my experience. If you have a small bladder, then I'm sure you don't need that much water or you will just end up like I did.

Archived