Open Club  ·  33 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

I want to move to America.

Piep

Hey there, I live in Europe in the Netherlands.

Now I have a dilemma, the thing is, I just don't like this country at all, the culture, the weather etc, my plans are later when I'm ready with my education to migrate to America, California, I looked it up and it seems like the ideal place for me, the weather is awsome. My dream is to go into the music business later and from what I've heard that's the right place to be too, and it just feels right. The thing is I don't really know how these things happen and it might be scary going there all alone. Should I just settle with my country even if I'm not happy living here? Or should I take the leap of fate?

Cassiana's right. I live in America, and although I love my country (it's just my fellow countrymen I sometimes have trouble standing I've always thought of what it might be like to live elsewhere. But it's folly to just up and move without looking into whether ir not you could actually live there permanently. What you might want to do is take a semester's exchange to UCLA or USC or one of the Cal State schools and see if you'd like living here. There's a lot to recommend So Cal as a wonderful place to live (the beaches, the weather, the culture), but it can also be a tough place to live -- it is the sweet and the bitter together.

Also -- don't tie all your American dreams to the music industry. It is an extremely hard business to break into, and the pool of available talent is immense in a creative area like here in Los Angeles County. Hollywood is filled with waiters who are waiting for "that one big break" into stardom. I'm not saying don't go for it -- certainly pursue your dreams -- but have a backup if it doesn't work out.

The chances of making it in Hollywood (California..) is extremely slim. There are so many others there with the same intentions that you have for going there. They all want to make it in the industry more often than not, that doesn't happen and they end up working random jobs just to barely make it through life.

I am with the other person who suggested taking a vacation there first and seeing how you fit in. California is a sort of make it or break it type place. Not everyone makes it there, especially the parts where all of the "industry" people live (Musicians, actors, etc..)

Now I have a dilemma, the thing is, I just don't like this country at all, the culture, the weather etc, my plans are later when I'm ready with my education to migrate to America, California, I looked it up and it seems like the ideal place for me, the weather is awsome. My dream is to go into the music business later and from what I've heard that's the right place to be too, and it just feels right. The thing is I don't really know how these things happen and it might be scary going there all alone. Should I just settle with my country even if I'm not happy living here? Or should I take the leap of fate?

I live in Southern California. I grew up in Europe (Romania .. not the prettiest place) and although I like some aspects of American culture better - you will feel very alienated. It's very hard to describe. The only people that understand the feeling are other people that have immigrated to such different cultures.

I have to go on a date now but I'll finish this later.

Also, if you visit before you move - keep in mind that being a tourist and living ina country are 2 different things.

How's the job market in Netherlands? I used to work for Philips here in the USA and always wanted to see what it was like over there since the headquarter was in the Netherlands. A lot of things you read & see just seems more appealing but like they say the grass seems greener on the other side.

The job market here in the USA is horrible in the most part but guess that's like that everywhere. It never hurts to go out & see for yourself Take a vacation and see what's out here. The wonderful thing about USA is that it's BIG. It's an endless country with many opportunities.

I've lived in So Cal for 11 years (1989-2000), It's best if initially you stay with friends who are already settled there (rent a room). If thats not possible check with your newspapers or internet (something like Craigs List) in your country to see if anyone has the same idea. It would be grate for you if you were able to get 3 or 4 people together and go at the same time. It's the best place to be if you want to get into music. But let me warn you, like actors there are a million(s) of musicians in Los Angeles that think like you do, That they are going to make it big in HOLLYWOOD. It can eather be the best place to live or the worst. Really take stock in just HOW good of a musician are you. Look youself in the mirror and ask yourself "am I really as good as I think I am". Because unfortunatley there is a bleak reality that exists in LA, Those that don't make it die on the streets. If you do go take lots of money, you are going to need it.

California is a wonderful place, if I do say so myself. The weather is awesome (mostly), there's a ton to do, lots of beautiful places to see, a lot of opportunities -- educational, recreational, career-wise, etc. I've lived in southern Cal, central Cal, and Northern Cal, and I've loved them all.

That said, don't make the mistake of coming here hoping to become famous and/or rich. As others have pointed out, it's the rare person who is able to do this. A few posters pointed out that you should perhaps try a Study Abroad-type program, perhaps via one of the major universities here. That's an excellent idea. And, you never know, you might find a wonderful job here and be able to do something with music as well, at least on the side.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm planning on upping and moving to the states after my degree. However I am going to travel around the US in the summer break, see if theres anywhere in particular that I'm attracted to and more importantly to make sure its everything that people say it is! Its a big decision to just lift your life up and shift it to somewhere completely new, somewhere so far away and my guess is its probably harder to move FROM than it is to move TO. You wouldn't want to make the move to somewhere that could potentially make you more unhappy than you are now. One things for sure though - never settle. If you don't like where you live now don't think to yourself that you just have to make do because you don't. You only get one life; make sure you live it how and WHERE you want to

California is a wonderful place, if I do say so myself. The weather is awesome (mostly), there's a ton to do, lots of beautiful places to see, a lot of opportunities -- educational, recreational, career-wise, etc. I've lived in southern Cal, central Cal, and Northern Cal, and I've loved them all.

That said, don't make the mistake of coming here hoping to become famous and/or rich. As others have pointed out, it's the rare person who is able to do this. A few posters pointed out that you should perhaps try a Study Abroad-type program, perhaps via one of the major universities here. That's an excellent idea. And, you never know, you might find a wonderful job here and be able to do something with music as well, at least on the side.

That's what I'm planning to do anyways, I am going to focus on getting a good job which I can rely on, but in the meantime I could try to get into the music business right? Nothing wrong with combining it, here in holland I am an intern at a television programm for school (I live in Hilversum, kind of like the hollywood of the netherlands hehe), which is really nice, and I do get to see how the stuff is getting done. I don't just want to live in California to become 'famous and/or rich'. From what I've seen the place just has this atmosphere that really speaks to me and it seems to me like a great place, though I will take you're advice and take a vacation there for a couple of weeks, and I will make my decision based on that.

I take it literally when the poster said that people die on the streets.

I got nothing against Americans. I am Australian but I would never live in America. The reason is that the overall standard of living is much lower in the USA than in a lot of other western european countries. I suggest you make yourself fully aware of the mindset over there and conditions people live under. People often don't care about each others well being very much, it is up to you to make your own way and no one is going to make it easier on you. In fact they will try to take advantage of you. There is a lot of illegal prostitution because girls literally have no other choice. You are on the streets, you haven't eaten in days - what do you think ends up happening ?

There is also a lot of other crime for similar reasons.

I have nothing against America it really is a great country and a lot of people do very well. However, I could never live there, given the life I have known in Australia I just couldn't. If you get injured you could get bankrupted by medical bills. People can be treated very secondary over there to money. I'd go on holidays but I'd never want to try and make my entire living in the USA.

As a female you might get by slightly easier if you are attractive but I'd still think very, very carefully before moving to the states. They're a lot a of people who are very different and hold a lot of different values.

I would say spending a few weeks in California before deciding if this place is really an ideal place for you to live permanently. sometimes what you heard and what you imagined about the USA can be tremendously different from reality.

CaptainPlanet your post was right on target. You were referring to my post when I mentioned that people die in the streets. I probably should have said People (kids/young adults) who are looking to move out to Hollywood to become famous/rich mostly (their are exceptions) find nothing but broken dreams. Most of the smart one's realize what has happened and go back from whence they came. Others end up on the streets homeless, many turn to drugs/prostitution. This has been glorified on the HBO series "Life on the Streets".

The homeless problem exsists in every major city in the USA more so now because of the economy. But I think that could be said for every major city in the world (not just the US).

Post Script:

Above I described the bleak view of making it in LA. After putting on my rose colored glasses I found this: link removed

Where did you find all your info.

Three simple explanations come to mind. I remind you I have nothing against the USA, but was merely drawing a comparison.

Like AUS the netherlands is a small resource producing country.

These are really the only countries that can maintain a high standard for all citizens. The US really has done very well for its size.

Australia roughly 20 million people compared to US approx 300 million. We also have the tinniest little cities. Meaning homelessness and social problems are easier fixed. Only really have 3 big cities and they're relatively very small.

Reason 1: primary industries have further to ripple outwards. Proportionately US is a bigger machine. So one mining/manufacturing job has to make a deeper impact.

Reason 2: Harder to manage or administrate, whatever you want to call it. Say we implement a social program in Australia, much easier to monitor.

Reason 3: US supports world largest military and takes on role of peace/free dom protector. Which costs a lot of money.

All of those reasons make it harder for the US to make all of its people comfortable. No slight against the US, just pointing out that life is going to be more comfortable for more people in smaller countries.

Which is why I couldn't live in US, and I think the OP would be similar.

The US is truly the land of opportunity. If you don't bother anyone you can live pretty much any way you want. Individuality is valued, so you don't have to become a cookie cutter person in order to be accepted. People are generally not out to get you, they are too busy with their own lives to bother. Some neighbors are downright neigborly and very cool. Jobs can be found for anyone with a work visa, even better, find the job first before you move and the company will at least help you find housing, etc...

With all due respect, I just don’t agree with your argument CP. Here is why:

Reason 1: primary industries have further to ripple outwards. Proportionately US is a bigger machine. So one mining/manufacturing job has to make a deeper impact.

US has done a lot of investment in infrastructure in last couple of centuries, hence they are better off than many other countries. US is still the biggest economy in the world, by far. You may look at the current finacial scenario and say that economy is correcting itself.

Reason 2: Harder to manage or administrate, whatever you want to call it. Say we implement a social program in Australia, much easier to monitor.

It does not really mean how big the country is when it comes to govern. It all depends how good system / mechanism you have in place to govern and you may agree with me that it has worked pretty well for US.

Reason 3: US supports world largest military and takes on role of peace/free dom protector. Which costs a lot of money.

Lots of money means lots of more jobs. Treat military as an industry. Wars are no longer a taboo; sometimes they ignite the whole economy.

Top ten countries ranked for there standards of living (as of 2004):

1. Norway

2. Sweden

3. Canada

4. Belgium

5. Australia

6. United States

7. Iceland

8. Netherlands

9. Japan

10. Finland

Info on standards of living for other countries in more detail:

link removed

US has done a lot of investment in infrastructure in last couple of centuries, hence they are better off than many other countries. US is still the biggest economy in the world, by far. You may look at the current finacial scenario and say that economy is correcting itself.

I disagree, For the first time in american history The USA Government (WE THE PEOPLE) owe more than we are taking in. The United States T Bill deficiet is higher than this years Gross National Product. China is the largest holder of our T Bills. A T Bill or Treasury Bill is a Government Bond The US uses to raise capital. When the T bond matures the owner can sell it back to the US for the original amount plus interest. So it's kind of like a short term loan. Anyone can purchace them, individual people or other countries Governments. If China were to sell back their matured T Bills right NOW, it would Bankrupt our Country (the USA). We are talking In the TRILLIONS of Dollars Here. Our infrastructure is crumbling, States (like California) are begging the federal government for funds because they (the states) are going broke. Arnold Schwarzenegger, just within the last couple of weeks said that if the federal government doesn't help the state of California it will go Bankrupt in TWO months.

See Link: link removed

It does not really mean how big the country is when it comes to govern. It all depends how good system / mechanism you have in place to govern and you may agree with me that it has worked pretty well for US.]

Our system has been fairly good since the stock market crash of 1929, (although there have been hiccups). Now we have a completely different ball game. After WW2 we (America) took our economy global, basically we marketed our made in USA goods in other countries, and they were selling like hotcakes. Everybody wanted refrigerators, washer and dryers american made TV's (HA, try and find those anymore) anything american was HOT.

But the american incentive to produce goods at a cheaper cost allowing for greater corporate profit (Corporate Greed) pushed manufacturing out the United States costing millions of american jobs. Where did many of American corporate greed mongers go to get there manufacturing done? First it was Hong Kong, then mainland China, where the average worker makes $2.50 a WEEK. AGH, but there is a little caviot here. Since our Patent and Copywrite laws are not applicable in China, there was no reason why the chinese manufacturers couldn't steal the american designs and manufacture/sell the products themselves. This is exactly what happened to MOTOROLA. The chinese stole all the designs for their cellular phones.

I kind of got off the subect, but the gist of my rebuttal is that the american system (America Government) helped to create the current economic atmosphere that we are in (NAFTA, and trade agreements with China, Tiawan, Singapore, Malaysia etc). They should have seen this coming, because I did.

Lots of money means lots of more jobs. Treat military as an industry. Wars are no longer a taboo; sometimes they ignite the whole economy.[/b]

The US military doesn't GENERATE INCOME. There is no Profit and Loss Statement for the US military, ONLY LOSS.

I would say visit first, because you just never know.

Top ten countries ranked for there standards of living:

1. Norway

2. Sweden

3. Canada

4. Belgium

5. Australia

6. United States

7. Iceland

8. Netherlands

9. Japan

10. Finland

Info on standards of living for other countries in more detail:

link removed

That must be an old ranking. Unless we're looking at a different index, the US is currently ranked 15th.

Netherlands is above the USA. There is also the fact that there is a higher level of income inequality in the USA. So you can be a lot poorer despite the indicators being a lot higher. Americans just seem to hate talking about stuff like this so I am trying to avoid a debate.

Merely to point out to the OP that if you get there, it could be really, really, tough.

That must be an old ranking. Unless we're looking at a different index, the US is currently ranked 15th.

Netherlands is above the USA. There is also the fact that there is a higher level of income inequality in the USA. So you can be a lot poorer despite the indicators being a lot higher. Americans just seem to hate talking about stuff like this so I am trying to avoid a debate.

Merely to point out to the OP that if you get there, it could be really, really, tough.

Yeah, that was from 2004. I had heard that America's Ratings had slipped into the teens but I wasn't able to find an up to date list.

Good Job, Thanks for the correction, CaptainPlanet.

2008 statistical update

Main article: List of countries by Human Development Index

A new index was released on December 18, 2008. This so-called "statistical update" covers the period up to 2006 and was published without an accompanying report on human development. The update is relevant due to newly released estimates of purchasing power parities (PPP), implying substantial adjustments for many countries, resulting in changes in HDI values and, in many cases, HDI ranks.[7]

1) Iceland 0.968 (▬

2) Norway 0.968 (▬

3) Canada 0.967 (▲ 1)

4) Australia 0.965 (▼ 1)

5) Ireland 0.960 (▬

6) Netherlands 0.958 (▲ 3)

7) Sweden 0.958 (▼ 1)

8. Japan 0.956 (▬

9) Luxembourg 0.956 (▲ 9)

10) Switzerland 0.955 (▼ 3)

11) France 0.955 (▼ 1)

12) Finland 0.954 (▼ 1)

13) Denmark 0.952 (▲ 1)

14) Austria 0.951 (▲ 1)

15) United States 0.950 (▼ 3)

16) Spain 0.949 (▼ 3)

17) Belgium 0.948 (▼ 1)

18. Greece 0.947 (▲ 6)

19) Italy 0.945 (▲ 1)

20) New Zealand 0.944 (▼ 1)

21) United Kingdom 0.942 (▼ 4)

22) Hong Kong 0.942 (▼ 1)

23) Germany 0.940 (▼ 1)

24) Israel 0.930 (▼ 1)

25) South Korea 0.928 (▲ 1)

26) Slovenia 0.923 (▲ 1)

27) Brunei 0.919 (▲ 3)

28. Singapore 0.912 (▲ 4)

29) Kuwait 0.912 (▲ 4)

30) Cyprus 0.912 (▼ 2)

* The arrows mean a gain( /\ ) or drop( \/ ) from last years ratings.

How old are you, Piep? Are you in university?

I would suggest studying abroad in the United States if you are. That way you can get a taste of the culture, the people, without investing a lot of money, and with a date of return in case you should not like it.

If you have never spent much time abroad then it will certainly be an adjustment. Culture shock is very real! I have moved a number of times in my life so far, and it has been difficult every time, even when returning "home". That's why I think a year abroad would be a good test to see how you would feel living so far from home. No matter how you feel in the Netherlands, it is likely you will miss many things, particularly your compatriots and your language.

I disagree with those who have said that the US would be a step down from your standard of living right now, but that debate could go on forever. I would say that different parts of the country have very different feels to them - living in North Dakota is nothing like living in California, of course!

My parents have both lived in countries other than their home countries for most of their adult lives, and have very much enjoyed it. My sister moved from Europe to California for college, works there now, and absolutely loves it. I don't think she will ever leave!

Archived