I need an iguana litterbox

alli

My iguana is 2 years old, getting bigger & I recently finished building a really big habitat for her. She used to utilize a big water bowl to go to the bathroom, but since she moved in to the big cage she stopped using it. At first she wasn't used to being in such a tall cage & would fall 4 ft from the top to the ground so I put a blanket at the bottom to break her fall, but then she started going into it to go to the bathroom! Not a big deal, but it's kind of gross to put a blanket with iguana poop all over it in the washing machine where I wash my clothes.

She doesn't have the worldly knowledge of wild iguana, thus I'm afraid if I put kitty litter, gravel, or wood chips in her cage she will eat it. Trust me, she eats everything. What else can I use? I need an idea for something that she either can't swallow or won't clog her digestive system if she eats it.

This is something I've been contemplating for months. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Use hay or straw... you can find it at horse/animal feed stores and sometimes landscaping places and buy it by the bale. Put a thick layer in there and fluff it up and it will cushion her fall, and she can eat to her heart's content since it's only dried grass, and you can change it every few days. A bale of hay would last a long time and probably only a few dollars depending on where you live. You can probably buy bags of it at your local pet store, but it is more expensive than going to a farm/feed store and buying a whole bale of hay at a time.

When I had my iguana she always used the water bowl as her own personal potty. I never knew you could make a little litter box.

I used to put her in the tub when she was smaller so she could swim around and she always did a big poop in the tub. Something about the water relaxed her enough to let go, so there usually wasn't as much poop in her terrarium.

No kitty litter!!!

You can utilize large wood chips if you prefer but what about taking her out and soaking her daily in a larger tub like bowl?

Iguanas need the hydration anyway. My guess is in such a larger cage you might have trouble maintaining the humidity they need. I would guess that most pet iguanas are in a constant state of slight dehydration. Its not a good time of year to find one but one of those really small plastic wading pools for toddlers works great and lets them swim - petsmart sometimes have small ones too.

Remember - owning reptiles comes with risk. Do your homework on the risk of zoonotic diseases... namely samonella. The best way to keep a non-traditional pet is to educate yourself.

Good Luck!

Use hay or straw... you can find it at horse/animal feed stores and sometimes landscaping places and buy it by the bale. Put a thick layer in there and fluff it up and it will cushion her fall, and she can eat to her heart's content since it's only dried grass, and you can change it every few days. A bale of hay would last a long time and probably only a few dollars depending on where you live. You can probably buy bags of it at your local pet store, but it is more expensive than going to a farm/feed store and buying a whole bale of hay at a time.

I wouldn't advise feeding hay or straw to an Iguana.

When I had my iguana she always used the water bowl as her own personal potty. I never knew you could make a little litter box.

I used to put her in the tub when she was smaller so she could swim around and she always did a big poop in the tub. Something about the water relaxed her enough to let go, so there usually wasn't as much poop in her terrarium.

Yeah, she always goes to the bathroom when I put her in the tub but it's not really practical on a daily basis once I start my job. She always gets this ticked off look on her face when she's in the tub.. she hates it!!

No kitty litter!!!

You can utilize large wood chips if you prefer but what about taking her out and soaking her daily in a larger tub like bowl?

Iguanas need the hydration anyway. My guess is in such a larger cage you might have trouble maintaining the humidity they need. I would guess that most pet iguanas are in a constant state of slight dehydration. Its not a good time of year to find one but one of those really small plastic wading pools for toddlers works great and lets them swim - petsmart sometimes have small ones too.

Remember - owning reptiles comes with risk. Do your homework on the risk of zoonotic diseases... namely samonella. The best way to keep a non-traditional pet is to educate yourself.

Good Luck!

I have a hydrogemeter (or whatever it is) in her cage. The humidity is at 40% so you're right, it isn't quite as high as it's supposed to be. That's a really good idea about the tub. I've been planning to put a big water bowl at the bottom for a while now but couldn't find what I was looking for. I wanted something that would heat the water a little so it would be on the warm side & help keep the humidity up.

I have a hydrogemeter (or whatever it is) in her cage. The humidity is at 40% so you're right, it isn't quite as high as it's supposed to be. That's a really good idea about the tub. I've been planning to put a big water bowl at the bottom for a while now but couldn't find what I was looking for. I wanted something that would heat the water a little so it would be on the warm side & help keep the humidity up.

Depending on your set up - you could 1) place a heat lamp near enough the water to warm it but be very careful... the iguana brain is NOT that big... they will burn themselves basking if given the chance... they just aren't that smart. or 2) during winter months try running a humidifier.

Unfortunately the Green Iguana is one of the most high maintenance lizards out there on the pet market. You can easily buy them for twenty bucks and most people its an impulse buy. Not many people take the time to realize their adult size and what their cage requirements are. You will easily spend $300 for a decent cage setup for your lizard.

I recommend The Green Iguana Manual - I believe they may have finally updated the feeding guide... years ago it was recommending to feed animal protein and I would just X out those pages but the rest of the book is great. I think the feeding guide may hopefully be update but I haven't seen a recent copy. The rest of the book is extremely complete.

As far as diet there is a a great chart that was available in Douglas Mader DVM Reptile book (please note this book is written for veterinarians) but if you can get a copy of the dietary recommendations for the Green Iguana chart you'll be all set. It may even be floating around on the internet somewhere.

Good Luck

Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate your concern, however I've already taken care of her for 2 1/2 years & done quite a bit of research on how to properly care for her. It does annoy me when people tell me they have an iguana & have no idea they are not supposed to eat meat (or only feeding them lettuce!), they are supposed to have a UVB light & calcium supplements so they don't develop metabolic bone disease, have a basking area that reaches between 90-100 degrees during the day. Iguanas can live a long time- 10 years- with poor care. But by the time the owner realizes they weren't properly caring for their pet, it's too late & they will die quickly. link removed has some great advice on every aspect of reptile care.

Iguanas are very cheap to buy but very costly to care for. I probably spent $500 on building materials for her cage, not to mention countless bulb replacements, heating bills for warming such a large cage, fresh vegetable all the time.

I know I need to get the humidity up in her cage. I put a humidifier in there sometimes but it kind of freaks her out. I've seen her drink from her bowl of water a lot so that's good.

The one thing I need to figure out is what to do about her potty!

How are you so knowledgeable on iguanas? Do you own one?

I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't properly caring for her or that you hadn't made any effort to learn about her needs.

I see lots of these as patients and more often than not I spend most of my time helping people understand what it is their pet needs. I have lots of great clients who probably are more knowledgeable in their particular species of lizard than I am - sometimes I have an odd one come in and I'll never seen one again.

Lucky for you most published information out there and available is for the Green Iguana. With the internet it is possible to really arm yourself with good information but for every good website out there there are bad ones as well.

If you are going to keep a non-traditional pet it is best that you arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. I was only trying to give you the best resources out there and not looking to offend you.

I am a veterinarian - I have experience in this area.

Good luck with your iguana.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get defensive. Thanks for your advice!! But I still need to figure out what I'm going to put at the bottom of her cage that is easy to clean up & she won't eat it

I suggested wood chips [try getting a tray to keep them on]- not the wood shavings for small pets but the larger bark pieces. This will help keep your humidity up and there are some types (more expensive) that can be washed and disinfected.

I suggested wood chips [try getting a tray to keep them on]- not the wood shavings for small pets but the larger bark pieces. This will help keep your humidity up and there are some types (more expensive) that can be washed and disinfected.

What if she swallows them? Won't they get stuck?

Archived