getting my masters

Caterina

I can't sleep. For some reason I felt very sick, I don't know why. I"m upset. I just got a great new job that I start next month but I'm stressing over how they are expressing that they want me to have my Masters. I was not raised the way most people were raised...I had to pay for everything to go to school and I'm just now paying off the loans completely. Its been a long road and I don't have the money for a Masters. I can't instantaneously create it. I'm already living lower than my means as is. Its not about ability, its about finances. As soon as I have the money, of course I'll pursue graduate school. I just don't have the money, may family did not pay for anything when I left at seventeen.

Not all people who do Masters, or PhDs for that matter, have family support. I never received a penny from my family from the moment I left home at 18, and here I am many years later with a number of higher degrees obtained over a period of more than ten years. It is possible, but you need be (1) determined, and (2) extremely good at what you do. That combination means you can borrow money when you need it, work to help make ends meet, and look for alternative sources of funding such as scholarships, which helped me enormously.

It IS possible. Believe in yourself, believe in your future. You can do it.

Since you can't obtain your musters at the moment, you must first show your boss that you are extremenly capable and good at doing what you are doing in the company. Gain the trust from your boss and prove to him that your are a promising and valuable worker to him. You can pursue your masters while working in this company then.

Does your company have tuition assistance? My employer pays for graduate degrees but you have to work for the company a number of years afterwards or you need to pay them back. I couldn't have all my degrees otherwise (I'm still over $100k in debt from my first MS degree completed while I was unemployed and looking for work back in the 90s)

If it's an expectation of the job, it's reasonable to ask if the company can help out. No guarantees, but they can get a tax deduction for your college costs up to a certain amount.

Archived