My manager is a nightmare!

Lights

Ugh. More of a rant than anything else but if anyone has any advice please let me know.

I have worked at Ross since July. My manager went on maternity leave just a few days after I got hired, and recently came back. She is making everyone miserable. She's up on a high horse about it being her store and she's going to the point of making people feel bad about the work that they do.

I've seen 2-3 girls cry already just for how she speaks to them.

Now I talked to her this morning asking if I could be a little bit late because of a personal matter and she started saying i've missed 3 days in two weeks, which is a huge lie. I've missed a total of 3 days since july! She started prying into the matter, saying she'd need written approval...and honestly I don't think it's her business. I've never minded going to work - but I dread it now. I just feel like she's rude and she disrespects her employees. I don't know what to do because if I say anything to her - I'll probably get fired or something.

Help. She seems to treat us like robots - not humans.

Next time you're both on break or sometime neither of you are working, ask her a little about herself. Get to know her. Act interested in her life. People like talking about themselves! After this, she should have a better relationship with you and hopefully won't be as big of a * * * * * .

I did this with a manager who was really mean to me and made me cry all the time. It worked like a charm. After asking him questions about his life and seeming interested in him as a person, he loved me! He never made me cry again after that.

Good luck!

Ahhh retail managers. All the ones I have encountered have been this way. I'm not sure why. I think some get off on the power trip of being a tyrant. I don't think some of them value their employees because they feel you're dispensable and don't really matter. Or maybe she's getting a lot of pressure from upper management and is in turn putting pressure on you guys. S*** does run downhill in the working world.

Just do your job to the best of your ability and stay away form her as much as you can. Try to get a coworker to switch shifts with you if you have something you need to do, or hell just call in late. What can they do? But 3 absenses since July could be considered a bit excessive, especially if you just started working there.

You could try looking for a job, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone there at your new job just like her.

I was going to suggest finding a new job, but after reading advgal's advice I think you should give it a shot. Maybe she's feeling stressed out about getting back into the swing & doesn't want her employees to think they can walk all over her, so she's being tough. Get to know her better, maybe she'll loosen the strings after a while.

Maybe it is none of her business, but would it be that bad to just bring her a note anyway?

But 3 absenses since July could be considered a bit excessive, especially if you just started working there.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I agree that 3 absenses could be excessive, but I have never been irresponsible about it. One of the times, I found someone to cover my shift, and the other 2 times I let them know first thing in the morning so they had time to bring someone in. There are people I work with who miss work every week, call in 20 mins before their shift, a lot worse, ya know? But she's finding stuff to pick on me for. And my problem with her is that the criticism is never professionally handled. It's more like she attacks people.

I tried getting to know her - she's been back a few weeks now and I'm always friendly to her and asking how her and the baby are doing. But she puts on a fake front and acts sweet and then turns into a monster.

The assistant manager (he covered her job while she was on leave also) who works with me said he understands completely how i feel. I talked to him about everything today and he said that her behavior isn't really appropriate for a manager or anyone else for that matter. He has always been understanding, and kind and helpful, and that's why I thank god he is there because I wouldn't have been able to put up with this without some support. He gave me the number for human resources and i hope they can help me resolve some of my problems.

Thanks again.

Great that you've got an assistant manager you feel good talking to.

I'd think with this one, every time she starts to get in your craw "She has a whining, crying, baby at home. She is still adjusting to having giving birth to that watermelon".

Even if you two never see eye to eye, hey some people just have natures that are going to be abrasive and even unprofessional and out there, you can keep it from getting to you.

Archived