The wonderful world of narcotics...

Catdancer

So this past weekend I was plagued with my first whopper of a migraine while pregnant. Usually I just drink a caffinated beverage, put a cold compress on my neck, take 2 Tylenol PM's and sleep it away. But not this one!! It started Friday and by Sunday I had had enough! I had my OB paged and they called in Vicodin (spelling?) and Finerigan (again spelling?) to my pharmacy and I started taking it. My OB didnt want me to take my migraine meds and to use the narcotic instead. So, finally I got the migraine under control by Sunday night, it took 3 doses of both meds, and I woke up Monday ok. But by Monday afternoon it was back! I held off taking both meds until late yesterday evening, and now the damn thing is trying to come back again! I am at work and I had to drive to get here, so I didnt bring the drugs with me.

How do I make this thing end? I can knock it back for several hours, then it comes back again! Ughhhh...

Just be careful Cat I am sorry you are in this much pain but remember your baby you do not want to cause the baby any defects or brain damage.

Yeah I know!! That's my point! I dont want to take this stuff, but it makes the migraine go away for several hours. I just need to figure out how to break the migraine so that it doesnt come back! I have some plain tylenol here at work, think I should take some before the migraine gets worse?

but i found this = link removed

makes some good reading, also at the bottom does state =

Most practitioners will okay the judicious use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) during pregnancy, but ask yours for direction on how to take it safely.

site might be worth picking through has alot of other advise and symptom relief suggestions as well for other things.

Herbal creams can still affect the fetus. I was told not use anything herbal when I was pregnant because they are just as dangerous as other medications. Some on the bottles and tubes will even tell you not to use when pregnant.

This is true, we have to be careful of everything when pregnant!

I am so sorry you have suffering from migraines Cat its awful. I am suffering with jaw pain and neck pain and taking paracetamol daily which is the mildest painkiller and the one doctors say is safe to take through all stages of pregnancy.

I feel like the reason I am in so much pain sometimes is because of all the lifestyle changes we make and the fact we can't take proper pain meds. I am sure that if I could just take ibruprofen my jaw wouldnt hurt so much and my glands wouldnt be swollen...

Everytime I feel baby kick though I smile and remind myself that this TORTURE that is pregnancy will be worth it in two months time when I get my baby!!

you can message me anytime for a moan because believe me my pregnancy has not been a barrrel of laughs either! xx

Misery loves company! LOL We can suffer together! After I stopped taking the prenatal vitamins alot of my pain and discomfort went away...then I get a freakin migraine! Now, it wont go away! My bf is losing hope that I will ever feel good again! I am trying not to take the vicodan/finerigan daily, but Sun and Mon I had too. So far the tylenol today has helped keep it at bay so I can work (ha ha..yea looks like I'm working, huh?) so hopefully I wont have to take it anymore. I know this stuff is bad, and I feel guilty for taking it!

tylenol will shut down your liver if you take too much in a 24 hour period. never take more than it says without explicit permission from your doctor because it's very easy to OD if you take too much.

my OB said i couldn't take regular migraine meds either while pregnant. i looked him straight in the face and said 'well you better find me something i can take because tylenol does not do *insert colorful term for crap* for my migraines.' i ended up on hydrocodone for mine.

i remember one migraine while pregnant with bear, i sat on the floor with a sheet over my head just shaking because it hurt so much but i couldn't take another pill for another two hours. it was the worst experience ever and my husband felt so helpless. coldpacks didn't do anything, i couldnt deal with any light at all, i could't lay down because it made it worse somehow, it was horrid. i swear my baby moved more during that time than he did the rest of the pregnancy so i know he could feel it too and i felt awful that i couldn't do anything for my little guy. he wa moving constantly the whole time i was in pain.

i don't have any advice and my doctor couldn't give me anything that really worked since there was so much i coudn't take.

if your doctor tells you it's okay to take, he's already outweighed the risks versus benefits. narcotics have a low chance of causing problems unless you're taking the entire bottle in one day. or are addicted. if your migraines are like mine [sounds like they are sometimes] it's impossible to function.

over 50% of my migraines leave me unable to move. i can't do anything that has light involved. i can't eat anything and sometimes what i already ate comes back up.

my doctor thinks it is worse for the baby to be in that situation that it is to take some stronger pain killers.

Thank you Sharsachan! I only take tylenol as needed, I took two today, havent taken any in days. The vicodan just makes me feel weird because I feel like I'm doing bad things to the baby. I know it sounds dumb, but hey!

And you are right that the docs probably think that the baby would be in more danger with the migraine, than if I took the drugs to help with the pain. I just cant seem to get the migraine to break or stop.

Archived