My heart is breaking because I'm probably quitting my job

punk_bf

I'm really having a hard time today. I love my company so much, but I've been through so much heart break over it for such a long time.

I so desperately want to stay, but today I interviewed with another company. My heart just isn't into this other job. However, if I don't take the job and my current company fails, then I will be really, really screwed.

If I take the job and my company fails, then it could fail in a number of different ways some of which screw me more or less depending on whether I ever get some of the money they owe me.

If I turn down the job and the promises from management turn out to be real, then I know they will probably try to get me to come back, but I am making a commitment to this new company to work there for the long term even though it means having to live separately from my children.

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make and it breaks my heart that these folks have been so unable to fulfill even basic promises.

I've had my heart stomped on a lot lately by this company and by someone who I thought was a really special friend.

I hate what is happening.

Take things one at a time then...

What do you think your kids want? Money or their father?

Is the new job worth having to be away from your children? Future-wise I'm speaking...

Is the new job as stable as your old job, despite how it sounds, you don't work their yet... grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you're sure, tell us why it is better and list your pro/cons.

Take some time... reply.

What do you think your kids want? Money or their father?

Obviously they want me, but its not really that kind of choice.

Is the new job worth having to be away from your children? Future-wise I'm speaking...

The job takes about 2 hours to drive to, but the major factor is the expense of the toll bridges between me and it. Plus it pays a lot less than my current job, so I can't afford the tolls. I will have to rent a place to stay during the week and see my kids on the weekend.

I am also having very serious problems in my marriage and taking this job will most likely finish it off. That is OK. I don't feel that bad about getting a divorce - I wanted a divorce but my wife is not wanting it. I don't know... I think being separate from my kids will make it harder to win the custody fight.

Is the new job as stable as your old job, despite how it sounds, you don't work their yet... grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you're sure, tell us why it is better and list your pro/cons.

It better be a lot more stable than my current job!!! My current job hasn't paid anyone in months. Our health insurance was turned off a while back due to non-payment of the premium. They have been unable to pay their bills or purchase equipment or other things we need in order to properly do our jobs.

The new company has money in the bank and has revenue. They have lots of work to do and are very busy. At my current office (I am at my current job right now), it is mid-afternoon on a work day and I am the ONLY person here. We have an entire floor of an office building.

My current job tells me they are about to close some financing (venture capital). However, they were supposed to get the first bit of it in early September and every single day they come with a "dog ate my homework" story on why there is no money yet. (Basically the problems in the credit market.)

If what they are saying is really true, then going to this other company is a huge mistake - no doubt about it.

If what they are saying is more of the same bs, then not taking the other job is a huge mistake - no doubt about it.

The other company told me they are at an inflection point where they either need me to come and do this work - or they need to break it up for some other team members and have them do it. If they reverse course, it screws their whole schedule and their whole company. So, as a point of personal honor, if I do go to the other place, then I would not come back to my current job no matter what. I interviewed there months ago and they offered me the job then and I turned it down because my company escrowed some money for me and promised they were turning things around. I will NOT screw the other company.

Hi Punk,

I think you're doing the right thing in applying for this new company. Two things i've found:

1. You never know until you try, you may be surprised. I have gone into interviews with negative expectations only to leave with a better impression in my mind. Conversely, i have had high hopes for particular jobs, only to be disappointed at how they REALLY run the business. So, what i am saying is give this a go. You never know how it will pan out.

2. You need to look after youself and avoid the snowball effect. By the snowball effect, i mean the theory that one thing can go wrong and throw your life into disarray. So, that's why i think you should take this new job, but perhaps make it clear to your current employer that you are doing it regrettably and if things change, you would consider an offer to come back. But, the most important thing is you look after your needs NOW, before you lose your current job, your house and get yourself into all sorts of other trouble. You need to take control now, don't be afraid to do so .

Sending you lots of friendly support!

I moved 2300 miles to achieve a shorter commute and it was worth it. It's now 12 years later and I'm certain I made a good choice.

If you find yourself in a pickle, that's when it's time to get creative with possible solutions.

I also agree that short, medium, and long term can be totally different from each other.

At my current office (I am at my current job right now), it is mid-afternoon on a work day and I am the ONLY person here. We have an entire floor of an office building.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but just before i was laid off from my last job, i had nothing to do for weeks.

I just read what you said about not scewing around the new company. That is very honorable of you, but i still stand by what i said in my last post, that you need to look after your own best interests now.

I had a long heart to heart talk with our company vice chairman last night while I was driving home. He's the main person involved in the money raising efforts.

He told me that he absolutely believes this money is coming. I told him that if I can believe it and stay - and then the money comes things are fine. But if I believe it and stay and the money doesn't come, then I will be ruined.

If I take the other job and the money comes, I'll be kicking myself for a long time.

He told me he would setup a conference call between him and myself and a vice president of the equity company that is funding us so that I can hear the details. He also explained the process by which we are being funded and exactly why things have happened the way they have up to this point. And he also explained why the global banking crisis has delayed things because the equity firm has been unable to liquidate their letter of credit with the bank in hong kong. But when the G7 central banks started putting money into the banking system last week, they were able to strike terms to liquidate the note. So, in theory if the global banking system continues to be liquid so that they can liquidate the next two notes, then there shouldn't be a problem. They are liquidating a note to fund another company for 100 million and they will give us a small piece of that (like 300K) of that, then we are second in line to get funded (i.e. 100 million).

If this vp from the equity company confirms this, then I'm probably going to stay. The rewards for staying are quite high both financially and personally (i.e. keep my family). So, his advice is to not answer my phone this morning unless the caller id says its him. They are going to call me when morning time for the west coast comes because the equity company is there (that's where this vp lives).

Our new CEO is a wiz at business, but hasn't done funding and he's been telling me that he can't understand why its so hard to get us short term money.

I asked our vice chairman and I think I understand it now. It has to come from the proceeds of the liquidation of the lc. It is not allowed for the equity company to give us money from their operations budget - they just won't do that and it violates sec regulations. We can't get other short term money because our shareholders were mostly people from behr sterns or lehman brothers and most of them are not in a position to give or loan us short term money right now because of their situations.

At least if this does completely blow up in my face, I do have some interest from a large west coast company that i've been talking to.

And he also explained why the global banking crisis has delayed things because the equity firm has been unable to liquidate their letter of credit with the bank in hong kong. But when the G7 central banks started putting money into the banking system last week, they were able to strike terms to liquidate the note. So, in theory if the global banking system continues to be liquid so that they can liquidate the next two notes, then there shouldn't be a problem. They are liquidating a note to fund another company for 100 million and they will give us a small piece of that (like 300K) of that, then we are second in line to get funded (i.e. 100 million).

You've got to ask yourself why your company needs funding, and whether this 300k will be enough to sustain the business and hence guarantee that you get paid reguarly from hereon in. There is no use eliminating your options elsewhere, if your company is going to keep needing 'funding' in order to pay it's debts.

Just my 2 cents worth, but have a look at the balance sheet of the company and it's medium to long term prospects in this economy.

Archived