Good nutrition/eating habits

Healthy eating habits, it is better to:  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Healthy eating habits, it is better to:

• Eat three balanced meals a day and never snack
    • Eat three smaller meals a day and healthy snacks in between
    • "graze" - eat all day, a little at a time as the mood strikes
    • I don't think it matters so long as you are getting all your food groups in.

ENA'ers, I keep hearing conflicting information about this. Is it better to:

1.) Eat three square meals a day and never snack in between

2.) Eat three meals a day, a little smaller, but with healthy snacks in between

3.) "Graze" - eat healthy small stuff all day

I tend to lean towards option number 3 just because of my often hectic lifestyle and the fact that I usually have to kind of force myself to eat sometimes (since I'm often not really hungry). I also tend to get full (replete) quite quickly.

But I'm wondering how healthy this is.

Any opinions?

they say it's best to eat 4-5 times a day. (3 meals, and snacks in between) as this keeps your metabolism up, and reduces weight gain.

i usually make sure i eat breakfast as soon as i wake up to jump start my metabolism. and then i eat thru out the day. the only problem i find is that i am scared to eat too many calories.

Most health & fitness professionals will tell you as long as you don't have certain health condition that require specific nutrition intake, it's healthy to eat small meals five to six times a day.

The problem & especially in the US is people do not consider portion size and the ones that only eat two or three times a day consume more calories than people that space it out between five to six meals.

I eat five small meals and eat slow. Unless I'm training during winter and try to pack extra muscle mass, my normal consumption most of the year is pretty low.

The idea of three square meals should be replaced with three portion size meals with healthy snacks in between. You'll eat less throughout the day and not going to feel tired the next morning (provided you do some physical activities during the week).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived