Dizzy at work

Aurian

Lately, I`ve been having headaches that are almost migraine-strength and dizziness at work. I work in an office, on a computer for 5 years. No recent changes at work (no construction/work being done inside either, so its not from fumes!) so I am having trouble figuring out what the problem is...

Seems to me its a problem when I am at work. I still feel bad when I get home, but it improves over the evening and weekend, only to be back at full strength after an hour or two at work.

I have headaches that don`t respond to painkillers, lights seem too bright, and I feel dizzy - almost like the room is moving when it is not. This has lasted over a week now.

Any idea what could cause it? I am racking my brain but I can`t think of any changes in the last 2 weeks that would start this.

I do get migraines, but they usually work differently. My migraines tend to only last a day and once they`re over, I am okay. This keeps coming back every day and for over a week. The dizziness is different too. This is almost like vertigo, the sensation that the room is moving when it shouldn`t be.

I think my blood sugar is okay, although that might be messed up too because the headaches + dizziness usually results in my throwing up my lunch. :sad: Gravol helps the dizziness a bit but that stuff always knocks me out and makes me unable to stay awake much less work.

My doctor is useless. For example, I have herniated discs in my back and I practically had to have a temper tantrum in her office to get her to order a scan for me rather than just wait for it to get better (I`ve been waiting for 5 years and nagging at you about my back the whole time, lady!). Even with the scan proving that I am not being a hypocondriac, she still doesn`t take me seriously. Unfortunately, doctors are in high demand and I have not been able to find another.

My doctor is useless. For example, I have herniated discs in my back and I practically had to have a temper tantrum in her office to get her to order a scan for me rather than just wait for it to get better (I`ve been waiting for 5 years and nagging at you about my back the whole time, lady!). Even with the scan proving that I am not being a hypocondriac, she still doesn`t take me seriously. Unfortunately, doctors are in high demand and I have not been able to find another.

That's horrible. Get a different doctor already! You should not have to convince her over a span of 5 years that waiting is not the answer. Ask your friends who they go to & if they would recommend them or just look online for other physicians in your area until you find one you like. I've been to a Dr I felt wasn't taking me seriously. I will still go to the same clinic but I refuse to be seen by him again.

As for your headaches, is there anything at work that causes you stress or anxiety? Listen to your body; it sometimes has a weird way of expressing things. When my brother was in kindergarten, he got such anxiety about having to go to school that he would have a stomach ache everyday & would often throw up. Social situations weren't his thing; its not even that kids were teasing him or anything, he just couldn't handle being around all those people all the time. When my little sister gets stressed, she gets really bad headaches & has to lie down. Maybe it's your body's way of letting you know you've got something going on that needs to be addressed.

I get headaches and my eyes become sensitive to light and I do get sort of dizzy also, this happens to me everywhere regardless of if I'm at work or home. I've been like this forever. I work with computers too.

I go out during breaks and walk for a while, I breathe in fresh air. Maybe try to keep yourself cool, if you don't have access to an air conditioner buy a cool drink. Eat a snack, don't fill yourself up. If you get hungry again keep something else to eat near you. If it's possible tilt your head back on a chair and take pain killers. Don't put pressure on your head, and don't lean your head over your lap, I know when I do this I feel 10 times worst. Also at what time do you wake up and go to sleep?

Youre description of the vertigo like dizzines and sensitivity to light sounds JUST like something I went through. There were times I couldn't even walk because I was so dizzy. I got little headaches afterwards, but never a major one. I went to the doctor and did blood tests. Everything was normal. The doctor said she thought I was having very bad symptoms of the beginning stages of a migrane. The only thing I could think of that changed for me was my diet. I cut out a few things and it went away. Maybe my body just didn't respond well to certain foods. I would definatly go see your doctor. You wouldn't want this to happen while you're driving. Hope you feel better.

I dont think anyone else has mentioned this...but it could also be a problem with your eyesight.

Do you get your eyes tested regulary? If you work on computers a lot you should do it at least once a year. Computers really screw your eyes up and after spending over 5 years working on them a lot your eyes can alter and this could be causing your headaches and dizziness and dislike of bright lights.

I guess you know about taking regular breaks from looking at the screen. The best thing to do is go look out of a window, get some fresh air and focus far away on the horizon. You should do this every hour just for a few minutes.

Go get your eyes tested

Wow, so many great responses!

That's horrible. Get a different doctor already! You should not have to convince her over a span of 5 years that waiting is not the answer. Ask your friends who they go to & if they would recommend them or just look online for other physicians in your area until you find one you like. I've been to a Dr I felt wasn't taking me seriously. I will still go to the same clinic but I refuse to be seen by him again.

I can ask after other people's good doctors, but it seems like nobody is accepting new patients - doctors here are so filled up with patients, many people don`t even have a regular doctor. I am stuck with the one I have for now. I have tried a clinic, but they don`t want to do some things as they are not my family doctor (IE, I`ve been told to go see my regular doctor instead of being helped).

I get headaches and my eyes become sensitive to light and I do get sort of dizzy also, this happens to me everywhere regardless of if I'm at work or home. I've been like this forever. I work with computers too.

I go out during breaks and walk for a while, I breathe in fresh air. Maybe try to keep yourself cool, if you don't have access to an air conditioner buy a cool drink. Eat a snack, don't fill yourself up. If you get hungry again keep something else to eat near you. If it's possible tilt your head back on a chair and take pain killers. Don't put pressure on your head, and don't lean your head over your lap, I know when I do this I feel 10 times worst. Also at what time do you wake up and go to sleep?

Excellent A/C here (my bf suggested it was TOO much A/C?), so its always cool. I am trying to avoid snacks as I am currently overweight. I eat a snack and lunch while at work, but if I ate every time I felt "nibbly" I`d be in major trouble! I do lie down in the lunch room during my break, but that didn`t seem to help the headaches. I get about 8 hours of sleep a night, along with naps on the weekends (I can`t seem to sleep longer than 8 hours without waking up with a cranky back).

Do you have a stressful work atmosphere?

No, its pretty laid-back and work is slow at the moment, with me keeping myself busy with course work related to my job.

Youre description of the vertigo like dizzines and sensitivity to light sounds JUST like something I went through. There were times I couldn't even walk because I was so dizzy. I got little headaches afterwards, but never a major one. I went to the doctor and did blood tests. Everything was normal. The doctor said she thought I was having very bad symptoms of the beginning stages of a migrane. The only thing I could think of that changed for me was my diet. I cut out a few things and it went away. Maybe my body just didn't respond well to certain foods. I would definatly go see your doctor. You wouldn't want this to happen while you're driving. Hope you feel better.

I thought of that, but I haven`t changed my eating habits...

I dont think anyone else has mentioned this...but it could also be a problem with your eyesight.

Do you get your eyes tested regulary? If you work on computers a lot you should do it at least once a year. Computers really screw your eyes up and after spending over 5 years working on them a lot your eyes can alter and this could be causing your headaches and dizziness and dislike of bright lights.

I guess you know about taking regular breaks from looking at the screen. The best thing to do is go look out of a window, get some fresh air and focus far away on the horizon. You should do this every hour just for a few minutes.

Go get your eyes tested

Yeah, I have pretty bad eyesight (can`t see too well up close or at a distance). I get my eyes checked every year and get a new prescription every year as my eyes keep changing... Maybe I need to get away from the screenie more (lots more trips to the water cooler?!), because it does seem to feel more bright lately and hard on my eyes.

Archived