My mom just asked me to look for her long lost cousin

This is very serious. Just a few moments ago, my mom and I were watching this documentary about how this sister found her brother who was put up for adoption after his birth many years later. When it finished up, she looked over at me and told me that when she was about 10 years old, her aunt Lyllian had had a baby and put it up for adoption.

She gave me this very look and told me that I should try to find him for her. She's not forcing me, and she's not really expecting anything from me, but this look on her face showed that it would make her very happy. She'd look into it herself, but she's a busy woman and doesn't have time. Mom also sad that I'm better with a computer than she'll ever be, and that I should use that skill to look into him. She told me she'd give me what little information she knew to help.

I've never felt such pressure in my life. It's a strange kind of pressure because I'm not afraid of her getting upset if I chose not to do it. I want to make her happy, but is it impossible? Should I not even bother? I don't even know where to start! Can anyone help me with this?

Is the baby's mother (your aunt) still alive? I would think her feelings would need to be taken into consideration if she is.

Yes, that is what I was thinking - this may be something that is best left alone unless your aunt wants it too.

Archived