Dating someone with bad credit

sweetooth

I ruined my credit due to long term unemployment, flat broke couldn't pay and needed a way out. Prior to that had excellent credit, yes really I had excellent credit. I'm doing what I can to rebuild it now. And would I date a person with bad credit, well honestly it depends on the person. Are they smarter about credit now, or are they still making the same mistakes. If I really liked them I'd get them into credit counseling.

Yes I would date a woman with bad credit but I'm not so sure she should date me. I have bad credit but I have recently repented and changed course to take the steps to fix it.

As soon as I found out about my poor credit I told my girlfriend about it much like your boyfriend did. He probably felt like you had a right to know so that you could make a decision about the relationship based on that information.

I broke up with my girlfriend for 2 days because I was feeling down about my credit. Now I wish I had not broken up with her because our relationship is not the same anymore. I damaged the trust factor by breaking up with her.

This is what happens when I try to fix what wasn't even broken in the first place. My bad credit hasn't damaged our relationship. My breaking up with her because I was down about my credit damaged it.

If I had known about my bad credit before meeting her then yes I would have told her from day 1 of the relationship. Would that have made a difference in her decision to date me? Who knows?

I haven't read the responses, but i do know that the number one reason couples break up are over financial issues.

And no, i wouldn't date someone with bad credit unless he was taking steps to rectify the situation. Life is hard enough without bringing that extra burden into a relationship.

What I want to know is how you would know. I wouldn't be telling you anything about my financial situation until we were far more than dating, because it's none of your business.

Do you feel the same about waiting to have sex - that you'd have to be "far more than dating" in order to be that intimate or are you just not comfortable with the intimacy of sharing personal details about your financial situation? some aspects are difficult to "hide" - are you not going to share what you do for a living? where you live? obviously a person with a great job can have bad credit but those aspects certainly give at least some information about a person's financial situation. If you're not willing to share where you live/what you do within the first few dates I know of few people who would be comfortable continuing to date you, since that could mean you are married or in trouble somehow.

None of these things point to my credit rating though do they? I could be unemployed, but having never had a credit card or anything, or I could have a great job and be living beyond my means and in debt up to my eyeballs.

Im not saying I wouldnt say where I live or what I do, but these things dont point to a persons credit situation.

If someone is financially irresponsible, there are usually a lot of signs and as you get to know them a bit, it comes out fairly soon. Even if they don't directly speak about money.

And no, I wouldn't want to get into that ball of yarn.

If a person was going through a hump or has fallen on some hard times, that's different.

But even that shouldn't smash a person's financial record all to hell. There are other ways to deal with it besides racking up so much debt that you know in advance you can't pay back.

And it's really important to me in a partner that he not "bite off more than he can chew". That's the line of security or consistency I look for - not how much he has.

My own situation is rather modest, but it's honest and it's mine. I'm looking for someone with some similiar values in that respect. Because that is just how I am.

None of these things point to my credit rating though do they? I could be unemployed, but having never had a credit card or anything, or I could have a great job and be living beyond my means and in debt up to my eyeballs.

Im not saying I wouldnt say where I live or what I do, but these things dont point to a persons credit situation.

OK I thought you meant your financial situation in general not just your credit rating. I do think someone's lifestyle, job, where they live, all combined, give clues as to the person's financial values/mindset including their credit rating.

if i knew someone who had really bad credit, or found out while dating, i would not date them anymore. some of you are saying 'its just dating', well, i date so that i can go up the relationship ladder, not to just 'date' and always stay at that stage. i'm not going to waste my time 'dating' someone and building a relationship that i know isnt going to work.

i think the important thing is that a bad credit score comes from people who borrow money and DONT PAY IT BACK.

i think the important thing is that a bad credit score comes from people who borrow money and DONT PAY IT BACK.

This isn't true. Making late payments only accounts for 1/3 of your credit score. There are so many factors involved that can/will affect you, so you can't paint this situation with one brush.

am dating a good guy with bad credit. I don't care. I just know that if we are to get together and try to have a place of our own, it would be very hard because I also have bad credit. I believe my guy is worth the trouble and would love to work through something like this with him! Love's not a number or a scale! and it can't be bought.

I don't know. It's a tough call. I think the main issue is what would happen if things got really serious, as in marriage. My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that marrying someone with a bad credit rating will negatively affect your credit rating too.

Archived