Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

What is the point of travelling ?

CaptainPlanet

I can't get through a year without going abroad at least once. I have a huge appetite for travel and can indulge it now that I am earning more.

I love the experiences of each trip, the unique light in the sky - desert skies are so clear and vivid as with the arctic regions. The hussle and bussle of markets and the produce thats so different from that in my own country.

The clothes people wear, the way they interact with eachother, catching local transport.

Bringing things back to put in your home which you'd never find anywhere else.

I could go on.

I go away on the 6th of this month from Scotland to Canada for a year, ive got cold feet just and got the fear of not meeting people and being stuck but its something everyone should try for however long or short. Find out a bit about youself and something to tell when your old.

Go for it man!

Variety is the spice of life and you cannot get any more variety in life than travelling and experiencing new cultures. In my experience the more alien the better! I'm from England and i've travelled a fair bit in Asia. India, China, Vietnam and Cambodia amongst others and the pure variety and of these places and how they are so different to everything i know just makes me want more and more!!

I've got friends who barely have an interest in leaving their home town let alone trudging through some stinking, bustling street in Delhi. Give me Delhi anyday! I guess travelling some people get and some people don't.

If you get it, you're one of the lucky ones!!

Travelling is about seeing what the world has to offer. There are so many places out there to see, and I think you have to have some kind of curiosity in exploring different places, people and cultures. If you don't have an interest in getting to know a new place, then travelling may not be for you. I personally LOVE to travel, and have seen some wonderful places so far. I love to travel too because it allows me to escape my "real life" and forget about all my problems back home. It's pure escapism for me.

However, I've met quite a few people who just don't have an interest in travelling. I don't see anything wrong with it -- it's not for everyone.

Check out Israel, the language is easy, and people are always willing to give english speakers a job. Visiting the middle east, Israel especially, definitely gives people a new perspective on the world. Do the thoughts "Dangerous" or "poor" come to mind?

believe it or not, Israel is one of the industry leaders of science and technology, from the creation of the first fully computerized,no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer, to the Pentium MMX chip, to the cell phone (Motorola, Israel) to Windows NT (Microsoft, Israel), and holds a crazy amount of records for the 100th smallest country...

A common sight in Golan (Northern Israel)

image removed

Tel Aviv (Major City)

image removed

Check out Israel, the language is easy, and people are always willing to give english speakers a job. Visiting the middle east, Israel especially, definitely gives people a new perspective on the world. Do the thoughts "Dangerous" or "poor" come to mind?

believe it or not, Israel is one of the industry leaders of science and technology, from the creation of the first fully computerized,no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer, to the Pentium MMX chip, to the cell phone (Motorola, Israel) to Windows NT (Microsoft, Israel), and holds a crazy amount of records for the 100th smallest country...

A common sight in Golan (Northern Israel)

image removed

Tel Aviv (Major City)

image removed

My views of the world are that it is utterly ridiculous to compare Israel to a western nation because with terms like 'poor' involved because they're a culture with total different set up, history and belief system. I really get angry when I here people trying to down play the problems in their own country because people in India are poor.

Its won't change my views on anything because I am already well aware of how good I have it in this country. Thanks for trying to help but we're on different pages.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Travelling makes me feel good and free.

I'm from Australia and doing the whole working holiday thing in the UK. It's a good feeling to know i can go there and do anything i want and experience anything i want.

After working for a few months, i'll be backpacking accross Europe.

I don't know what it is, but just being in a different country makes me feel good.

Are you serious?

I didn't think anyone would wonder what's the point of traveling and assume that it's something "cute girls" do.

Besides playing the piano, traveling is the one big passion in my life. I'd rather spend my life traveling around the world than studying and having a career.

Lying on the beautiful beaches of Spain, taking a cruise on the coasts of Norway, backpacking in the mountains of Canada... the world has so much to offer, and I can't wait to explore all of it.

You basically just said exactly what I would have!!!

No need to quote the pictures yet again, though they are beautiful!

Israel is one place I've been DYING to go to!!!!! It looks amazing.

Archived