How to Survive Long-Term Loneliness

airyihl

wow, i just discover this web site. i have been alone for now 15years and getting old. i do have to agree with you eating well and exercise, otherwise i won't be here typing this. well,now i am back to school and trying for 2nd degree, little nervous this coming fall classes. i totally understand you.

• 11 months later...

Having read the posts here, I feel relived that there's someone who gets loneliness. The huge gaps in the posts is probably a testament to how loneliness engulfs us to the point that one neglects the very thing that brings relief from it.

I've felt alone as long as I can remember, all the while having of a loving family. I've never been in a close relationship, friendship or romantic. However, every now and then, I've escaped by embracing my imagination and perspectives. But doing this and not sharing with anyone feeds into my loneliness. It's a vicious cycle worsened by the increasingly boxed nature of our society. I relate to one opinion posted here of deliberately choosing loneliness in the absence of genuine connection. I believe that the more society defines restrictions to behaviour, the more alone those with random hearts and minds will end up. This may be a dooming perspective, but I think the lonely know how big a deal a genuine connection with someone is, imagined or real.

Throughout my years, I've come to the realisation that mere communication with people in my situation is an uplift, even though a subtle one at times. I appreciate the views posted here and wish to continue sharing of perspectives on loneliness. This thread has brought me relief and if it also helps others out there, I say it's a most worthy act.

Archived