When meeting a girl; kiss on the cheek?

shy2cool

I've noticed that a lot of guys when meeting a female for the first time in a social setting tend to give them a kiss on the cheek.

I feel nervous at the thought of doing this, so I tend to just shake hands. I am worried that I may be seen as being rude and insincere.

I actually find the cheek kissing bit very insincere. I know some cultures are big on those cheek kisses (which are generally air kisses anyway) but I am never comfortable and generally only comply if the other person initiates...but I am not a really huggy person (except for my dog!) even with my own family. I mean really, how sincere are those cheek/air kisses done between heads of State from different countries who are at odds with each other!!

I think cheek kisses are fine - but upon a first meeting would be a little apprehensive about it, is more comfortable with someone I know. I also don't have a problem with hand shakes - to me it would be more about how well I know the man. It wouldn't be so good if the kiss felt forced either.

It may be considered more normal to do the kissing on the cheek thing, so fair enough for you to be thinking about it, but I personally prefer the hand shake. I think the kiss on the cheek is an affectionate gesture, which should be earned not dished out to everyone you meet. Hand shakes are nice.

I would just shake her hand. Do what you are comfortable doing. It will look more genuine. The girl (depending on her culture) might be a bit weirded out by a kiss on the cheek.

Besides, I hate the hug and kiss thing with people I don't know. I think it is really fake and it feels like a charade.

My husband's friends all do the kiss on the cheek thing. It was a bit unnerving to me when i first met them because i am friendly but have a certain area of personal space.

it is all a personal preference thing. If you don't feel comfy doing it that means it isn't your personality...thereforeeee don't force it.

I don't know anyone in my circle of friends or in general who kiss girls on the cheek, especially if meeting for the first time. In fact I don't make any physical contact with a Girl I have just met, but depending on the social situation we may often hug when farewelling.

A couple of people here have mentioned handshakes... Typically handshaking seems more one guy to another when it comes to social, business, whatever. Not that I haven't shaken hands with a girl before.

Archived