I was thinking today about something I learned in a personal development class about a decade ago. What they said was "When what is becomes more important than what is not, the game is over." The facilitator gave examples like a basketball game, where at halftime one team is leading 48-30. Is that important, or is the score at the end of the game important? In an election, if Candidate A has 58% of the vote when 3% of the precincts are counted, or is the count when 100% of the precincts are counted. Sure, the halftime score or the 3% may influence behavior, and the theory is that they are not what is important. If you say "Well, we're behind by 18 points at halftime" and just give up, then you've essentially eliminated your chance of winning.

I think this translates into our relationships and our healing. If how I feel today important, or is how I'm going to feel in a month or six months important? Is it important that my ex is in a rebound, or is it more important where she's going to be in six months? Is it important that I'm just beginning to understand myself now or is it important how well I'll understand myself in a year?

My opinion is that where we are going is more important that where we are. And I believe that even where we are going is a moving target, even when ones eyes are on the prize (pun intended). As the old saying goes, "Its the journey, not the destination."

On a related note, I get a "Thought for the Day" e-mailed to me every day. Today's is from "Paul H. Dunn" (the name was not familiar to me) and said "You may be on the right track, but if you just sit there you'll get run over." Again...what is not becomes more important that what is.

As always, this is just my opinion, and that and $0.41 mails your return to the IRS...more if you send it by certified mail.

haha thanks Eyes, yeah I agree and we touched on this a bit lastnight when I was telling you how I felt on this day 3 years ago,2 years ago, 1 year ago, and how I am today. and I agree I really don't know how I will feel a year from now today, maybe I will meet the one for me, or possible be doing better, hell I will not let the first half/quarter or what have you define my life because there is a lot more to live, good post and you can do my taxes next year.

Okay, so in 6 months (Oct), I'll be on vacation in St. Martin with my girlfriends.-can't wait!!! I would have never been able to do that if I was still with him!

And I think in one year, I will be happier with my life than I have been in a while and meeting guys who will treat me with respect.

That's my prediction...

haha thanks Eyes, yeah I agree and we touched on this a bit lastnight when I was telling you how I felt on this day 3 years ago,2 years ago, 1 year ago, and how I am today. and I agree I really don't know how I will feel a year from now today, maybe I will meet the one for me, or possible be doing better, hell I will not let the first half/quarter or what have you define my life because there is a lot more to live, good post and you can do my taxes next year.

Yeah, this just hit me a lot yesterday as I was reading a book and I realized that if I keep dwelling on how things are now, I'm never going to move forward and get where I want to go. I have to keep my eyes on the prize, as it were. I have to keep working to be the man I want to be, not keep worrying that I'm not with the woman with whom I want to be. If all I do is worry about that, I won't be with her or anyone else.

Samurai - I like that line, and I don't think its conflict with this post (I don't think you were implying that it was). In fact, in my mind it echoes the same sentiment. I think that if we just accept "what is", then we have given up that "fresh chance to start again." I think that if we use the present to help create the future we want, we are doing ourselves a service.

Archived