Are all the good and romantic men taken?

KissnRomance

Millions of women believe that all the good and romantic men are all taken. A lady wrote this in one forum I used to visit, she said " Good men are endangered species, before you find a good man you have to cross the seven seas and pass through the eye of a needle".

So folks what do you think, are all the good and romantic men taken?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the problem with women like that is unrealistic expectations. Some women set standards for a man they want that are impossible for any human being to achieve and they forget that men are individuals with their own wants and needs and are not just on the planet to give a woman all that she wants.

Some good men are already taken and some good men are being dumped, so wait your turn, be ready and when you find one, get him. It is not easy I am divorced since my early 30's, and now I am 48. Maybe I did not wanted to find a good men until now without knowing that. I kissed so many frogs, and I have found my prince 4 months ago. He was dumped by his wife after 24 years marriage. And I am grateful to her for dumping him. Sometimes a good girl finds a good guy. Just use your filters.

I'm mostly posting this in jest, but there is a bit of truth to this. I read this on craigslist R&R a few months back:

"What Happened to All the Nice Guys?"

Date: 2007-11-19, 3:52AM PST

I see this question posted with some regularity in the personals section, so I thought I'd take a minute to explain things to the ladies out there that haven't figured it out.

What happened to all the nice guys?

The answer is simple: you did.

See, if you think back, really hard, you might vaguely remember a Platonic guy pal who always seemed to want to spend time with you. He'd tag along with you when you went shopping, stop by your place for a movie when you were lonely but didn't feel like going out, or even sit there and hold you while you sobbed and told him about how horribly the (other) guy that you were treated you.

At the time, you probably joked with your girlfriends about how he was a little puppy dog, always following you around, trying to do things to get you to pay attention to him. They probably teased you because they thought he had a crush on you. Given that his behavior was, admittedly, a little pathetic, you vehemently denied having any romantic feelings for him, and buttressed your position by claiming that you were "just friends." Besides, he totally wasn't your type. I mean, he was a little too short, or too bald, or too fat, or too poor, or didn't know how to dress himself, or basically be or do any of the things that your tall, good-looking, fit, rich, stylish boyfriend at the time pulled off with such ease.

Eventually, your Platonic buddy drifted away, as your relationship with the boyfriend got more serious and spending time with this other guy was, admittedly, a little weird, if you werent dating him. More time passed, and the boyfriend eventually cheated on you, or became boring, or you realized that the things that attracted you to him weren't the kinds of things that make for a good, long-term relationship. So, now, you're single again, and after having tried the bar scene for several months having only encountered players and douche bags, you wonder, "What happened to all the nice guys?"

Well, once again, you did.

You ignored the nice guy. You used him for emotional intimacy without reciprocating, in kind, with physical intimacy. You laughed at his consideration and resented his devotion. You valued the aloof boyfriend more than the attentive "just-a-" friend. Eventually, he took the hint and moved on with his life. He probably came to realize, one day, that women aren't really attracted to guys who hold doors open; or make dinners just because; or buy you a Christmas gift that you mentioned, in passing, that you really wanted five months ago; or listen when you're upset; or hold you when you cry. He came to realize that, if he wanted a woman like you, he'd have to act more like the boyfriend that you had. He probably cleaned up his look, started making some money, and generally acted like more of an than he ever wanted to be.

Fact is, now, he's probably getting laid, and in a way, your ultimate rejection of him is to thank for that. And I'm sorry that it took the complete absense of "nice guys" in your life for you to realize that you missed them and wanted them. Most women will only have a handful of nice guys stumble into their lives, if that.

So, if you're looking for a nice guy, here's what you do

1.) Build a time machine.

2.) Go back a few years and pull your head out of your ass.

3.) Take a look at what's right in front of you and grab ahold of it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you STILL don't really want a nice guy, but you feel the social pressure to at least appear to have matured beyond your infantile taste in men. In which case, you might be in luck, because the nice guy you claim to want has, in reality, shed his nice guy mantle and is out there looking to unleash his cynicism and resentment onto someone just like you.

If you were five years younger.

So, please: either stop misrepresenting what you want, or own up to the fact that you've yourself over. You're getting older, after all. It's time to excise the bull and deal with reality. You didn't want a nice guy then, and he certainly doesn't want you, now.

Sincerely,

A Recovering Nice Guy

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I don't think they're all taken. There will always be some out there no matter what. Like Daddy Bear said, they're just outnumbered. The good, worthy things in life are just rare .

The kind of men that I think are really really really rare and almost extinct are the gentlemanly ones. Lol. I don't know, I guess it's a cultural thing because where I come from, almost every man was educated by their mothers to be a gentleman and put a lady first...to do simple things like letting them go through the door first, opening the door for them, things like that...even with strangers. Where I live those kind of men are sooo rare...that when I do see a man act gentlemanlike I just melt lol. Young men these days have to be taught some manners and to be courteous

Haha, nice find, gravity. Anyway, I, too, like to think I'm one of the "good, romantic" guys, but it always seems like girls don't really want that type of guy. This is especially true with girls in my age range (I'm 19); seems like a lot of the girls I know in my age range are just looking to have fun and have a "live for the moment" attitude, and the girls that aren't like that already seem to have a boyfriend.

What's worse is, I don't consider myself bad-looking. I may not be, like, "hot", or whatever, but I think I look pretty good. I DO have one major flaw, though, and that's my height. I'm shorter than a lot of people I know, including girls, and it seems like I don't get taken seriously because of my height. I, personally, would have no problem dating a woman that was taller than me (maybe not massively taller than me, but then again, I don't know any girls that are more than 6-7 inches taller than me). I think I've made peace with my height, but I just find it annoying if/ when it's the reason people don't take me seriously; I mean, I can't exactly change my height. If a girl says "Oh, you're too clingy", or "You're not adventurous enough", yanno, those are things you can work on. But I can't just magically make myself grow... I dunno, but I don't see why my height should discredit my personality. *shrugs* Whatever.

Gravity's post is absolutely correct. The exact same thing happened to me.

I try not to be bitter about it but in reality it hurt quite a bit. It really changed me as a person and I aspired to become all of those other things I didn't really care about. But even now I'm still here and even more lonely than ever.

More than a few grains of truth in that post, Gravity. Good find! I sure hope that poster isn't having so much resentment towards that special someone; it's not like I've never felt that way like him before, and I know how difficult it is to rise above that feeling of betrayal.

I found this interesting definition for "romantic" at link removed:

5 a: having an inclination for romance : responsive to the appeal of what is idealized, heroic, or adventurous b: marked by expressions of love or affection c: conducive to or suitable for lovemaking

A vague definition, I know, but it does bring us closer to what we really mean by "romance", since I feel that too many people are throwing that word around without knowing its true implications. Are you looking for a guy who is a casanova, or a hero of some sort? Mind you, being a hero does not necessarily mean he (or she) will always be "available".

Heck, even Superman didn't have time to woo Lois Lane that much (at least not initially).

If you simply want a good man, then I have to say that there are many; they just tend to be VERY devoted to their work to have much time for anything else. I'm talking about men that work hard for their ideals, such as the guy that volunteers at a hospital, or someone who spends a good deal of time protesting unfair government policies. Good men are around us, trust me.

And the same applies to women too. Some of the most remarkable women that I liked were hard-core altruists. One woman that I wanted to ask out turned out to be on the verge of joining a nunnery! As sad as that seems, I later became glad to know that she chose that path on her own; she chose it out of love for other people, which I feel to this day. I hope she's doing well.

Casanovas, of course, are more numerous and more available; just don't expect them to last in a meaningful relationship.

But if you want the best of both worlds, then I'm going to have to say that it won't be easy to find it. You're just going to have to prioritize the qualities you want in a man you meet lest you'd constantly be disappointed; would you rather him be a romantic jerk who's always there for you, or a romantic idealist who has little time for you yet loves you with all of his heart? Tough choice, isn't it?

Personally, if I met the most wonderful woman in the world, I'd be content in knowing that she loved me above everyone else despite me hardly seeing her, just as long as she had a noble excuse such as being a just lawyer, etc.

Millions of women believe that all the good and romantic men are all taken. A lady wrote this in one forum I used to visit, she said " Good men are endangered species, before you find a good man you have to cross the seven seas and pass through the eye of a needle".

So folks what do you think, are all the good and romantic men taken?

they have been beaten down by all the insecure and cheating women they have dated

Why is it always about men in this issue? I've never heard a guy complain that there is a shortage of good romantic women. Go figure.

uh . . . actually Ghost69 just said that, only in "guy speak" i'm still single. most women are nuts.

frankly I agree.

A good match is supposed to be hard to find . . . that's what makes relationships so special to begin with.

Archived