Were they dates?

Phoenix_girl

I've never really been on a "date" before and i want to know if these two situations are "dates" or not. Please note i have been friends with this guy for 5 years.

1) took me out for lunch for my birthday (he has never done this before even though we've been friends for 5 years) and he paid.

2) took me out for coffee and paid.

I know this seems like a weird question, but like i said my experiance with actual dates is limited and I just want to make sure im not reading to much into them

Thanks

If he didn't say they were dates, I don't think you can assume that they are dates. However, if he has never taken you out and paid before, either it's because he's got the money to do so and didn't have before, or because he likes you. What you should be looking at is his behaviour. Does he have a girlfriend, show interest in any other girls, how is he with you?

I would be hopeful, but not be sure of it. I had a guy that I liked, and he knew I liked him, take me out to a nice dinner (paid with a gift card, but still it was a $60 dinner) and then we went to a movie which I paid for since he got dinner. He surprised me with dinner too, I thought we were just doing the movie. I completely thought it was a date. Turns out he didn't. I don't know what he was thinking haha. My point is that you don't know anything for sure unless you've specified it. So if you wanted them to be dates, ask him out so he knows what you're after.

I take my friends out randomly for lunch or drinks every now and then. They certainly aren't dates though - and that is really obvious by the way we behave when we're out together - just being friends. Was there anything about this 'outing' that would make you think it was anything other than that?

Archived