I read a post yesterday by a woman who was on the Depo injection as a form of birth control and she wasn't informed by her doctor that bone loss could occur so early in young women and taking calcium made no difference. apparently a study conducted in 2004 said after 2 years you should stop taking Depo and switch to another form of birth control.

I was on the Depo for 2 1/2 years and i now have an implant fitted into my arm which will stay there for 3 years. Not alot is known about the implant yet as its a new form of birth control. The implant stops my periods altogether and i experience no side effects apart from obviously not having a period for 3years. It doesnt make me feel normal.

Does anyone have any information on the contraceptive implant and whether it is linked to bone density? I dont want to carry on taking it if it's going to make my bones worse (if they are already harmed that is)

ah.. read my post eh. Some say the copper IUD is a good form of control. You will get your periods and ovulate as normal, in this way its better and less risky than forms of progestrin related b/c like the Depo and others.

If i wanted to take a form of b/c after the depo it would be this, its extremely effective and one of the best forms out there. I reccomend you look into that if you are worried about bone density and feeling "normal"

Archived