Meeting someone with HPV

I have this young lady that wants to one day meet with me when I'm in town. Sort of like a friendly date. We were chatting online for long hours about school/studies when she mentioned she'd like to take me out around town. Now, she did bring up a subject of her having HPV. The only reason she brought it up is because I had a question that dealt with her studies and it went as far as her saying she had warts that were removed via laser treatment and then treated with microabrasial(sp?) process (She has no visible traces now). Now, this HPV virus does sort of make me feel weird. I talked to one of my lady friends regarding this disease and she says that I should not meet her or come into contact with her because of this disease. After doing research, I find that there are many varieties of it.

Now my question is.. should I listen to my friend's advice and not come into any contact with this person because of it? I find this to be a bit strange. Another thing is, she' planning on going into the health profession once she's done with her current studies. If her disease is really that bad, would it be possible to work with patients in her state? I'm a bit confused... all I'd like is to have a 1-1 talk, walk, etc with this person... just like I treat my male friends. Input here would be appreciated

Just do a google search, and decide for yourself. Your friend (it is in the nature of friends to protect friends) is right, you need to be careful and protect yourself first. HPV is common, but it does have consequences especially for women - like cervical cancer. Research viruses also - they generally stay in one's system. Could you potentially get warts on your penis and elsewhere, from someone that's had them removed??? Probably not. But, you need to talk to some medical professionals, before you risk yourself for some fleeting chick. Take care.

HPV is fairly common and if you have had sexual contact with any number of women you probably have come into contact with it at some point or another and may even have it without knowing as there is currently no test for males and females can have it without even knowing as well.

You need to make your own informed decision. Do research and YOU Decide dont let your friends do it for you.

On a side note about your reference to her going into the medical field and having this HPV, why should she not go into a certain field because she this? Unless she is sleeping with her patients there isn't going to be any problems. I really say you do need to do alot of research.

well HPV is a virus that never goes away it is still possible for her to pass on the virus and give anyone who comes into contact with the infected area the virus. Considering the sterile nature of the health profession as long as she takes precautions then she will be fine. However deciding on if you want to meet her or not is your own decision, this person is not contaminated but you do need to know the risk for hpv if you decide to get intimate with her then it means you are going to get hpv as well.

well HPV is a virus that never goes away it is still possible for her to pass on the virus and give anyone who comes into contact with the infected area the virus. Considering the sterile nature of the health profession as long as she takes precautions then she will be fine. However deciding on if you want to meet her or not is your own decision, this person is not contaminated but you do need to know the risk for hpv if you decide to get intimate with her then it means you are going to get hpv as well.

That's not entirely true. HPV does go away in some people, some people don't carry the virus forever. It is estimated that 80% of the population has it at one point or another. I know many people who have it or have had it, and they live completely normal lives.

And like mythical said, there is no reason she shouldn't go into the medical field, afterall, she won't be sleeping with her patients!

go to link removed and read up on HPV.

link removed

That's not entirely true. HPV does go away in some people, some people don't carry the virus forever. It is estimated that 80% of the population has it at one point or another. I know many people who have it or have had it, and they live completely normal lives.

The virus just lies dormant which is why it is possible to pass it along to others. In most cases people dont even know they have it has the bodies immune system subdues the virus such that it is not detechtable but technically it is still there.

Thought I should add some more things to my post...

The warts I mentioned were facial warts. Not genital warts... but I never asked, and we're not that close to be talking about sensitive subjects such as that.

Also, reason I thought it may not be a good idea for her to be in the health profession is because my friend told me that HPV can be contracted even through skin-to-skin contact. Haven't read up on that, but all I know is that certain HPV can cause cervical cancer in women. Thats as far as my knowledge on HPV is concerned.

Would any of you meet with someone (not knowing what the future holds) who has HPV? She sounds like a nice person that I'd like to meet... but don't know what to do knowing now she's got HPV.

Since HPV is a virus.. I don't believe it would "go away". Even Herpes virus (cold sores) never go away, even if you don't have the symptoms.... you still have it.

The virus just lies dormant which is why it is possible to pass it along to others. In most cases people dont even know they have it has the bodies immune system subdues the virus such that it is not detechtable but technically it is still there.

What is your source on this? Can you provide a link or a reference?

Would any of you meet with someone (not knowing what the future holds) who has HPV? She sounds like a nice person that I'd like to meet... but don't know what to do knowing now she's got HPV.

Since HPV is a virus.. I don't believe it would "go away". Even Herpes virus (cold sores) never go away, even if you don't have the symptoms.... you still have it.

The flu is a virus also, and it goes away. Just depends on the virus you have.

Yes, I would meet someone with HPV, seeing as how a major part of the population has it at some point, you have already met hundreds of people with HPV. And you may be carrying it yourself!

when you say she has facial warts, is she horribly disfigured?

when you say she has facial warts, is she horribly disfigured?

She looks 100% normal with no traces of anything. This, to the best of my knowledge, was something she had in the past that was treated. Again, this is past tense... but the fact that she's got HPV is still a present issue for me atleast.

certain strands of the HPV virus DOES clear and go away on it's own. The strand I have/had cleared on it's own. I just have to go every 3 months for paps to make sure it doesn't return.

Also, there are a million and one (Ok, thats along shot but u get the point) different strands of HPV, There are warts which are mostly harmless and then there is a strand that can lead to cervical cancer (The type I had) and as long as she isn't playing/messing with active warts and then going and touching her patients THEY WILL BE FINE!, thats just like saying to someone with HIV/AIDS"Oh I can't hug you, you might have alittle blood on you and Ill catch the virus", yes it can be passed from simple skin 2 skin contact but the chances of that are so unlikely, you have a better chance catching it off a shopping cart in the store than you do from a health worker. (Gross!)

Since you are so uncomfortable with this, I Think maybe it's best you tell her about all this and step away until you know the full facts about HPV.

Oh yea and another thing I want to throw in, most people at some point in their life has had a plantar wart of some sort on their body, hands, feet, etc.. But what most people dont realize is that is , you guessed it! caused by the HPV virus itself as well.

how do you know you don't have HPV? there is no test for men, you may have it too.

certain strands of the HPV virus DOES clear and go away on it's own. The strand I have/had cleared on it's own. I just have to go every 3 months for paps to make sure it doesn't return.

Also, there are a million and one (Ok, thats along shot but u get the point) different strands of HPV, There are warts which are mostly harmless and then there is a strand that can lead to cervical cancer (The type I had) and as long as she isn't playing/messing with active warts and then going and touching her patients THEY WILL BE FINE!, thats just like saying to someone with HIV/AIDS"Oh I can't hug you, you might have alittle blood on you and Ill catch the virus", yes it can be passed from simple skin 2 skin contact but the chances of that are so unlikely, you have a better chance catching it off a shopping cart in the store than you do from a health worker. (Gross!)

Since you are so uncomfortable with this, I Think maybe it's best you tell her about all this and step away until you know the full facts about HPV.

Oh yea and another thing I want to throw in, most people at some point in their life has had a plantar wart of some sort on their body, hands, feet, etc.. But what most people dont realize is that is , you guessed it! caused by the HPV virus itself as well.

I think you took it the wrong way and sound defensive because you have/had the virus. The reason I came here is to educate myself better on the topic. I was going to plan on seeing this person up until a lady friend of mine recommending me not to see her. I thought that this may be a bit "excessive" and wanted a 2nd or 3rd or more opinion on this.. so I came here to ask.

So to summarize what everyone here has said... there many variations of the virus. Some give warts, some can lead to cervical cancer... some "go away" while others stay in the hosts' body for a while. I guess I will meet this person some day and will probably bring up the topic to discuss it more. Health, no matter from what view you look at, is an important issue.

I think you took it the wrong way and sound defensive because you have/had the virus. The reason I came here is to educate myself better on the topic. I was going to plan on seeing this person up until a lady friend of mine recommending me not to see her. I thought that this may be a bit "excessive" and wanted a 2nd or 3rd or more opinion on this.. so I came here to ask.

So to summarize what everyone here has said... there many variations of the virus. Some give warts, some can lead to cervical cancer... some "go away" while others stay in the hosts' body for a while. I guess I will meet this person some day and will probably bring up the topic to discuss it more. Health, no matter from what view you look at, is an important issue.

Oh, I think it is great that you want to edcuate yourself about the virus, and yes, I agree that health is extremely important. I am all for reading up on it. I certainly wouldn't shun her as so many people have this virus, and you talk to them everyday and you don't know they have it. And it is not one of the more serious diseases out there.

On the other hand, if someone told me they had tuberculosis, I wouldn't meet them for coffee or anything. That is a very serious illness that is very difficult to treat, and I am astonished that guy (Andrew Speaker) with the drug-resistant tuberculosis got on the plane. I think what he did was very wrong and dangerous to the health of so many.

Just asking because a friend of my cousins had HPV, with the genital warts. And the doctor gave her some cream to put on them, I think something like acid, and the doctor told her mother, that because she used that cream it wasn't definite that she would conceive a baby.

Hmm. never heard that before.

The strand I had, I didn't have the warts tho so I don't know anything about that..

I found out I had HPV when I was pregnant so, obviously I can conceive. The only problems I will have conceiving in the future is the result of 2 cone leeps (the biopsy where they take a small chunk of your cervix) which it has left my cervix incompetent so im at a higher risk for miscarriage and will need a cerclage (stitch in my cervix) for any pregnancies I have in the future.

Archived