Hello. I have a BIG problem. I have a distorted body image...or thats what my Mom calls it. I think I am fat. I am only 5'3 and I weigh 107 and I am 14 years old. I don't know what other people see when the see me. But when I look in the mirror I don't like what I see. I am beginning to work out to maybe lose some weight. And I am currently taking diet pills. I have been taking diet pills off and on for the longest time. But I am in search of how to become bulimic or quit eating. All of my friends think I am crazy and my family does not know about my diet pills. Also I am moving to upper FL where I do not know anyone and I am scared of being heavier than the girls there. If you have any advice or websites that can help me with what I am in seach of I would greatly appreciate it.

Katie,

I don't know you personally. But, believe it or not, by saying "I have a BIG problem," you are a step ahead of yourself. Let's see if you can't get caught up with the rest of yourself.

Bottom line: you need to see a therapist. If you are in school, go see the social worker or the psychologist. If you are not in school, go to a community center where therapists are available. As far as I know, you will not have to pay for it, nor will they tell your friends or family about you seeing them. They are bound by a confidentiality policy.

Don't try to go through this alone. There is something larger at work here, and you need help. But you know what??? That's ok.

Keep us posted.

Step back and look at the damage you are doing to your body, your mind, and those around you. This is very serious. You are highly risking suicide, and think of how selfish that is to do just for a hollywood created image. Think of how many people you could hurt by that. I don't know you, but I care about all people, and to see things like this hurt me.

You need to re-think what you are trying to do. Usually there is something else that you don't like about yourself other than your physical appearance. It may seem hard to admit you need help, but I've seen psychiatrists in the past, and they've done wonders for my mental health. They can bring out things from deep places in your mind that you didn't even realize. Try to give that a chance.

Personally, I don't find this "hollywood" appearance appealing. And that doesn't mean I have low standards, I just appreciate curves and most of all... HEALTH. I can't stand the thought of breaking someone in half with just a touch!!!

I hope I helped, but you need to help yourself, not damage your body.

Hi. OK Welll I already go to a counselor. It's not at a school or anything like that. Well I don't discuss my eating disorder too much. And when I do, my counselor does not really give me too much advice. She just tells me to look at the postive things about me and tells me not to say anything negative. I think I know some of the reason I have an eating disorder....it's because I was molested when I was 10. Because up until that point I was never too much concerned with my weight. But I am not really sure. My Mom told me how when I was in Kindergarten I said I was fat. And I look at PICs and I was not even close at that age of being fat. I know I need help but I don't think anything will work. I need just a person I can talk to on line that can maybe help me through this. I'm just really lost. Also, am not one for "Hollywood Image". I just want to be skinny and be happy with how I look. I do not want to look like the girls on TV or in magazines. Another thing, I know what I am doing to my body. I know what the outcome will be if I do become anorexic. But I do not feel like I am suicidal or anything like that. And before I go I thought I should add, I'm not being selfish I was want to be proud of myself when I look in the mirror. Well sorry if this was rude. Reply back. Bye.

Hi,

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems, and it's good that you want help. You should seek out some professional help, because what has been done to you would affect anyone in the world as it's affecting you, and anyone would be justified in seeking help. I think that the counselor you spoke to is incompetent, and here you are at 14 facing the challenge of trying to find the RIGHT psychologist. Any psychologists on this site who could give you insight into how to find a good one ought to help answer that question for you. However, I do NOT think you should find someone online to discuss these problems. The issues are just too sensitive to trust to a stranger. So, please go seek help in your community, if your guardians cannot help or are contributing to the problem. Best of luck to you.

DFC

P.S. Some of the people who post replies on this board are very insensitive. Don't let comments about "selfish" behavior like God forbid suicide get to ya. There is nothing at all selfish about your actions, and you're completely in a healthy frame of mind when you want to seek help. So, I hope you don't let comments like that put the wrong suggestions and thoughts in your mind. You'll be fine, I think. I admire your courage.

Best thing you can do, if you're committed to at least talking to a counselor on this site, is to private message SwingFox (or another moderator) and ask him to refer you to a member who is an excellent counselor, rather than just trusting someone that pops up with an offer to help. SwingFox seems pretty sensitive and wise and is coming from a country (the Netherlands) with a large tradition of helping others in the community. So, that would be a good next step in my opinion.

I had an eating disorder for 3 years. Let me tell you its not worth it. You will ruin your body if you let yourself stop eating or throw it up after you eat it. You will lose every ounce of engery that you have. You will start to think all food is evil when its not. What you need to do is figure out an eating plan that is Heathly for you. If you need help doing this PM me.

Oh I beg of you please dont do this to yourself.

Thanks for the help, Babes, it probably makes it easier for her hearing that from someone like you, who's been there.

PerfectTeenFlirt, I've never had this problem (as most men don't), so I can only give an outside point of view, but I truly feel aweful for you. Talk to Babes if you need, and the idea of finding a counselor through SwingFox is a great one.

I'm glad you're willing to try getting help, but you need to do one other thing, keep an open mind. Don't tell yourself that nothing will change, or that it's too hard, or that you don't think anyone can help. You need to help yourself through this as well, and you need to believe that it can work, just find someone you're comfortable talking to, and don't try to figure it all out yourself.

Don't give up, and don't give in!!

• 4 months later...