How do I do this?

Reality4me

My partner and I have had wonderful times as well as difficult times. Lately I feel like I am still in love but I believe we are not where we need to be individually. I have been going to counseling about being codependent and I really want to work on myself. I feel like I need to be alone to make serious changes regarding my behaviors in relationships. How do I break up with someone I love very much? Do you feel I need to be single and focused on myself to improve any future relationships?

Thank you

I think your question is too generic. What is really going on? You're not where you need to be? What does that mean? You want to be CEO of something and right now you're working at Starbucks? Huh? You're going to counseling for being codependent? On who? Your partner? That doesn't help you for an eventual marriage situation since marriage is about evolving from a "me" mentality to a "we" mentality, where you are partners who help each other. The Bible says about marriage: "If either of them falls down, one can help the other up." You say, I need to be alone to make serious changes regarding my behaviors in relationships. Like what? What are you doing that's wrong or bad? Is your partner telling you you're worthless? Then we're dealing with an abuse problem and that's a whole different kind of therapy you need to be doing.

So be honest with us and tell us exactly what is going on in your relationship. If you just don't love your partner as much, we've all be there and can help you. If it's something else, the advice is totally different.

Archived