New Job Anxiety

Jelynne

I started a new job three weeks ago. It's a secretarial position at a small law firm (5 attorneys, 3 paralegals and me as a secretary). The first week was a secretary's last week there, hence, there is an open position for a secretary.

While I'm working through the new job jitters, and trying to get acquainted to the new software and procedures, I was confronted Wednesday about being late at couple times since I started. I acknowledged the fact, and will improve.

I have heard through co-workers that the last two secretaries, in my current position, quit. I also learned that promotions are relevant with this firm. The secretary that was leaving was promoted from receptionist, and one of the paralegals used to have my job, so she was promoted as well.

Friday, there were a couple meetings going on with the managing partner, receptionist and other employees. After the meetings, I heard the receptionist say "thank you, I'm happy" to other co-workers, so I sense that she may have been promoted. I don't know this for certain, but everyone, including the receptionist, was hush, hush after the meetings. Also, there was a different vibe I felt from others that afternoon. (Almost as if they knew something about me, and felt uncomfortable.)

My intuition has been right on the mark in the past. I sense something, and it ends up being true. So, this is why I'm concerned that my job may end there.

If the bad karma is still in the air next week, do I try to clear the air by talking to the managing partner, or should I remain quiet. It's a small office, and it is very apparent when something is different, and there is.

While I'm working through the new job jitters, and trying to get acquainted to the new software and procedures, I was confronted Wednesday about being late at couple times since I started. I acknowledged the fact, and will improve.

While you might view being late as a minor offense, it tends to color every other aspect of how your performance is perceived. So no benefit of doubt is given regarding any other weaknesses where it otherwise would have been applied.

Most people can forgive early mistakes or lackluster performance until a newcomer settles in and learns the ropes--as long as that person appears to be making a valiant effort. However, lateness sends the opposite message, and so every weakness becomes viewed as carelessness.

I'd skip raising the issue with anyone, because such a conversation is not likely to turn the ship around. I'd start applying for new jobs through agencies, and head high, we all live and learn.

Archived