Where do you meet guys who are not just looking for a hook-up?

pianogurl

Hi everyone,

I am 25 and I want to find someone I can get to know and develop a relationship with. Aside from online dating, where are people going to meet potential partners these days? I work in a largely female-dominated profession and I am young compared to most of my colleagues. Thus, it is difficult to meet someone at or through work. Often men at bars/clubs are just looking for girls to hook up with. I have tried the online dating thing a few times but it has its own challenges. I am just wondering if anyone has other suggestions for where I can meet a nice guy close to my age. Thanks for your input.

I met my current boyfriend while volunteering. He is very kind, caring, loyal and generous (Yes, yes, I am bragging. But seriously!)

I met my ex-es in meetups, from friends, martial art class (romance starts after a kick in the groin), outdoor activities, even at a cafe! I am grateful all of them were decent men. Our life just didn't click for the long run.

I only have one ex from dating site. And that one was a wacky job. Anger problem, insecure, irresponsible. Finally cheated because he thinks I am too good for him, so I must be or will be cheating too. Err, what??

Walked away while scratching my head as to why I'd want to fix a man anyway?

Probably a coincidence. Not all online dating is bad. Just like not all guys you meet in club will be all for hookup. (Although 97% probably do)

Met one ex in the club. Very respectful, not forcing sex and totally committed even after sex. So it can happen!

All the best luck in your search!

Hi everyone,

I am 25 and I want to find someone I can get to know and develop a relationship with. Aside from online dating, where are people going to meet potential partners these days? I work in a largely female-dominated profession and I am young compared to most of my colleagues. Thus, it is difficult to meet someone at or through work. Often men at bars/clubs are just looking for girls to hook up with. I have tried the online dating thing a few times but it has its own challenges. I am just wondering if anyone has other suggestions for where I can meet a nice guy close to my age. Thanks for your input.

I am close to your age and finding a guy like that is a challenge for sure. Pretty much its all up to chance and yes bars/clubs are not the place to meet a guy not looking for a hook up. I am trying online dating and I found guys who weren't into hook ups, but they were both not mature enough for a relationship. A guy I met recently is not a guy who looks for hook ups and seems decent, I met him at an event randomly. Don't get discouraged there are guys like that who are out there.

At home Depot buying stuff to fix up their kitchen.

Hahahaha, hell yeah. This dude is right, actually. Go to Home Depot, it's like a bees nest for grown men; men who aren't lazy but actually like to do stuff (fixing their home and doing projects). I'm a single guy your age and always shop there, even for stupid stuff that I don't need to go there for; there and Lowe's.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with finding any guys who do NOT want to just "hook up" and who are "looking for a relationship". Those guys are VERY rare. Just be careful, because a LOT of them "say" that they "want to be in a relationship", but then you find out months later that they were lying and they just wanted to use you for whatever reason.

Just remember, a guy's actions are what you need to pay attention to - NOT his words.

I am twice your age and it is a challenge for me too. The answer is, don't hook up, and they will filter themselves out for you. Meet them everywhere, including on line. Go about your day feeling good about yourself and connecting with people. If you let it develop very very slowly, it will be okay to date people in your industry as well, whom you might meet at an event or training session.

Volunteer, join a sports team, borrow a dog and go to the park.

I guess you could attend some religious gatherings like a church or something. Sometimes it's luck or you can call it whatever you like, but there is no definite place you can meet such people. If you aren't far away from me, I would have made myself available. Lol.

Anyways, just keep your fingers crossed and always be on the lookout. You might just meet the one somewhere you least expect. Good luck.

Archived