insecure and people bring her down

This post is about my friend and not me. She wants to take singing as a career. She loves music and have a great knowledge about it. She is a mezzo sprano. But she feels insecure about her singing. She start to feel scared and start singing on the wrong key which prove to her that she is bad. In the house of her family people don't get music and mock her for it. She is also a bit weird cuz she tend to sing her heart out and then tell people that she had been trying to figure out how she sings when she sounds bad and that why she sang like that, then people agrees which prove to her that they are lying to her and tell her she is good put of kindness only but they know she is terrible.

Important to mention she is only 19 now. Three years ago she wanted to audition with her sister to a talent show but her sister told her to only sing ths beginning of the verses and bridge so she won't sing any high notes cuz she is bad at them and ever since that day she doubt herself alot, and believe those negative believe. If you would tell her an advice what would you say, I really want her to go on with her dream , cuz she is so talented

she is still young and if you say she is talented than that is good singing is something you can improve on even those with immense talent in singing need practice your friend is only 19 she is still young in my opinion and that means she can still improve and improve people that bring her down i would say don't listen to them believe in yourself keep practicing just keep singing because you love it! as long as you love it do it! try it out your young you have a lot of chances and the older you get while you keep on singing the more you will improve

while you always are there to support her always be there for her believe in her

Talent is nothing without training and practice.

If she is serious about a career in music, she needs to be taking voice training lessons, singing lessons, get tons of practice under her belt. In other words go outside of her family to get the support she needs. Music, voice teachers, people in the industry will give her the tools and help her go in the right direction. It is a lot of work though.

I'd also suggest that she joins a choir that actively performs so she can get experience under her belt performing in front of people. It might be easier to deal with fear when she is supported in a large group and so help her get used to performing in front of an audience and learn to feel comfortable with that when the spotlight is not on her directly.

Other than that, advice for you is that no matter how much you like her and believe in her, you can't fix insecurity. Her sister gave her very good constructive advice on how to do well in the tryouts and succeed. She reacted very poorly to that. So unless she can overcome that, there will be no career for her. To become very good at something, you have to thrive on constructive criticism, embrace it, hear it and work hard on whatever needs fixing or adjusting. Talent just makes it a little easier to get something done but practice, training, and hard work is what gets you to the top.

She needs to enroll in a school for music and begin taking more music lessons and classes at school.

Also join choirs or singing and music groups. She can try out for local bands, etc. if she really has any talent.

Sounds like she and her family are watching too many reality and talent shows on tv, but she's not serious enough about music.

She is a mezzo sprano. she is only 19 now.
You are misunderstanding her sister told her that out of envy not out of criticism. Ugggh. No one here is sympathetic

Um everyone gave great advice to help her move forward with her singing dreams...even if her sister said that out of envy, schooling and practice will further her talent.

Tyler,

As someone who's worked in the entertainment industry for the past 10 years I can relate to how your friend feels. Unfortunately, being criticized for your work is something that comes with the job. The idea of "what is good" in the creative arts is extremely subjective. Your friend could do two separate auditions, perform at the same level, and receive opposing reactions to said performance. If she is really serious about doing this as a career, she will need to learn to endure the opinions of others. Especially those who are experienced in running a show. If there are underlying issues with insecurity she may benefit from some counseling. I echo the other posts about getting some formal training.

I've been a film maker for the past 10 years and when someone critiques my work it still hurts a little. But I'm getting better at looking at my work objectively. Good luck.

Archived