Getting back into working out...tips?

Other than the fact that I walk most places, I have not been exercising regularly for quite a while. I have a naturally "athletic" body type, so building muscle mass and strength training etc is not hard for me. I am also at a good weight. I mostly just want to sculpt certain parts i.e. glutes, and just keep active in general. I have been doing home workouts and youtube videos. I find them tiring as my endurance is not built up yet, but at the same time I don't know if they are beneficial. I am in University so have access to the school gym and equipment, but I am a bit awkward/don't want to workout in front of other people, especially because I don't know how to work a lot of the machines. Anyone have any tips or suggestions to ease into this and make my workouts better?

JOM those money-spinning exercise programmes (videos etc) are just that: money-spinners. Waste of time.

Kay. Best idea would be to find a gym where there is are instructors or conducted classes. Then you can become familiar with the exercise regimes, the machines or whatever type of exercise you most prefer.

Working your glutes doesn't require a lot of equipment. You can do step ups, lunges, and hip thrusts at home. The only necessary exercise at a gym would be squats. And it's also the most important. Unless you can go with a friend who knows what they're doing or like Hermes said get an instructor, I don't think we'd be much more help than YouTube videos.

Start drinking plenty of water and take vitamin supplements- especially calcium and potassium. I'd start there as you are working out.

I have been doing home workouts and youtube videos. I find them tiring as my endurance is not built up yet

Well yea... working out isn't suppose to be easy. It takes time and persistence to build endurance. Even if you train at a gym or at a pool, it's going to challenge you.

I am a bit awkward/don't want to workout in front of other people, especially because I don't know how to work a lot of the machines.

When I worked out with a personal trainer I rarely used machines. Machines typically target only one area of your body. What will happen is if you are targeting only ONE part of your body, the body fat will actually shift to a section of your body that isn't being toned/worked. I've had it happened to me when I worked at the gym alone and decided to hire a personal trainer.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions to ease into this and make my workouts better?

I highly recommend getting a trainer if you really don't know how to use gym equipment properly or know good workout routines. PTs are worth it. You can badly hurt yourself in a gym if you really don't know what you are doing.

To build endurance, I highly recommend swimming over running. Swimming forces your body to use every muscle. My running distance has greatly improved because I do pool laps and water aerobics.

Generally speaking, when women say "sculpting," they mean building muscle and just don't know it. Don't get up trying to use aerobic videos for anaerobic goals. Targeted fat loss is a myth beyond what your genetics already dictate.

Body weight exercises will do you some good in a general fitness sense and even, to an extent, in building some newbie muscle. But eventually if you want a swimsuit model ass, you've gotta hit the squat rack.

When I trained self-conscious newbies, I'd point out everyone in the room from the newbie in their very same shoes to the absolute ripped dudes deadilfting 345 pounds for reps. "See that guy? They started at the very same point you are."

Thing is, so long as you respect the etiquette, nobody will think any less of you, assuming they even care to take a second look at you. In fact, you're much more likely to be a motivation.

Archived