I was dating this guy and we hit off really well. After our first date, we were inseparable. I have never experienced this with anyone I've ever dated. We had our similarities but still had differences also. Everything felt so right.

He joined the army and we contemplated breaking up, but last minute we decided to stay together. While it was hard, we pushed through and if anything it definitely made us stronger. But once he went away again, things got hard. I saw how sad he was being away from home and everything got weird. I think apart of me closed off because I felt like I couldn't do anything.

A couple weeks later he told me that he loves me but isn't in love with me. I know he has certain issues with commitment but it still hurt. He said that it had nothing to do with me and it was just him. I have a hard time believing that because I believe the two of us were involved in this relationship, so were both responsible. I felt betrayed and blindsided.

He wants to stay friends. I want to but I don't know if I have it in me. I told him that I need to get my feelings in order and not talk to him for awhile, so we haven't talked in two weeks.

So what are your thoughts? Do you have any suggestions to becoming friends with an ex?

Based on my personal experience, it is possible. But it takes time (and a bunch of self reflection). How much time you need depends on both of you. If you still have feelings for him or vice versa, take more time apart. Eventually (and hopefully) you'll be able to interact with each other as friends. Please note that this can only be done when both of you have the same level of understanding.

Archived