Have a crush on a guy from work, don't know whether he's shy or uninterested.

Danika

There's a guy, a builder, who comes in with two other builders certain days of the week to work on our building and the building next door. I liked him the minute I first saw him, and I actually look forward going into work in the hopes he will be there.

We exchanged a lot of glances, smiles and "Heyas" whenever he would have to pass me. When I was busy serving a customer and he was leaving, he made the effort to say; "Bye" as he went out the door even though he didn't have to. He turns around to look at me if I'm behind me, and I feel sometimes like he walks past wherever I am in certain places of the building even when he doesn't have to.

But sometimes he can come accross as a bit... I don't know whether it's shy, or. Uninterested. For instance one day, he didn't say anything to me or didn't seem to acknowledge me, even when I accidentally bumped into him and said; "Sorry!" Later though when I made light conversation about the weather, he responded and then seemed to acknowledge me again. But he seems to go hot and cold.

He and the other builders were outside one day and there was a can of Diet Coke by the cups of tea. I joked; "So who drinks the Diet Coke?" and one of the other older builders said he did. I laughed and he replied; "Why? You taking the mickey?" I said "No!", smiled and skipped off. Later the same guy asked me why I had asked. I joked and said; "I thought it might have been the younger builder, I was going to ask him to re-act the Diet Coke advert for me." He grinned and said; "Do you fancy him?" I shrugged and said; "He's alright." My manager then piped up: "She does!", to which the builder shouted outside to the builder I like; "*His name*, *My name* fancies you!" I quickly said; "Oh, shut up!" and carried on with my work but felt really embarrassed. Throughout the day I felt like I wanted to avoid him a little bit, but he still randomly walked past and came to wherever I was in the building, when to be honest he didn't really need to. ("Looking" for some sellotape where there is none..?) The other builder then kept teasing me saying things like; "*His name* has gone into the back room, if you'd like to follow...?" and "I think you two would make a cute couple!"

I feel a bit silly now, and feel like if I even say; 'Hello' he's going to take it as flirting! My own fault due to joking around and saying what I did. But I find it hard to read him, so I don't know whether he is just shy or uninterested. I have no idea how to play this. Should I just forget about it; he knows, so now the ball is in his court?

Sounds to me like he enjoys flirting with pretty girls, but doesn't want to take it any further for some reason (maybe he has a girlfriend, maybe he's not interested in a relationship or dating, who knows.) A guy who likes you will make it known, no matter his shyness level. He wouldn't want someone else to snatch you up first.

My .02

I think sometimes a female can have an emotional crush whereas to a guy it might be more physical and doesn't necessarily mean they want to date or get into a relationship. Also I think they probably sense that the girl might want something more serious and that makes them wary. If you come onto some stranger they might be willing to have sex with you but won't necessarily fall in love with you. Generalization I know but I think there's truth in it.

Some companies do not allow their employees to fraternize with the employees of their clients. That may be why he's being polite but not taking it any further.

Other than that, if you keep following him around, his co-workers are going to keep teasing both of you and he might get embarrassed to the point of avoiding you altogether.. Best thing to do is keep it quiet, just smile and be friendly. If he is truly interested, he will find a way.

Archived