Meeting online date..should I tell him I wear braces?

SoulHeart

I've been trying the online dating thing since October, and now I've finally found someone I'm interested in. This guy and I get on very well, our messages to each other are long and full of interesting topics, some of which highlight the similarities between us. He asked me out and I am meeting him next Friday. I'm excited but I'm worried about something-I don't think he knows I wear braces.

My pictures on my profile for this dating website don't display my braces clearly. One reason for this is that I have clear braces which I'd paid a bit more for (the wire is still visible though). Now that we've exchanged quite a lot of messages and I feel comfortable that he's interested in me, I want to mention it to him. I don't want him to get a silent shock when he sees me and think "Oh no, I asked a metal-mouth out."

On the other hand, will mentioning it before I meet him make him think I'm insecure or that they are very distinguishable? Because they're not, it's not like that. I just want him to know because it will make me feel more confident when I go to meet him.

Thanks

If he likes you, he's not going to care about the braces. If you want to tell him in advance, though, don't make a big deal out of it. Maybe say something like "oh, just so you recognise me, I'll be wearing X and Y, you know what my face looks like, I also wear braces but they're not very visible, what are you planning to wear?"

I had braces at 25...lots of people have them as adults. If he rejects you for it he's an a** and you deserve better.

If you want to tell him just so you feel it's out in the open then go ahead...but my suggestion would be to joke about it....you have to be able to laugh at it yourself, you know?

I wouldn't even say a word. Because if you mention it, he may think (or know, rather) that you're self-conscious about your braces. And if you come accross as being self-conscious of them, A., that'll be a turn-off (b/c insecurity over pretty much anything can be a turn-off), and B., that could cause him to actually feel that your braces are an issue.

If you act like it's not a big deal, then he will most likely follow.

Good luck.

If he is interested only in your physical appearance, then he will notice sooner or later, but first of all. You should never show your insecurity about it. Not everyone can afford it and secondly, it's NOT ugly. You feel like a victim here because of power of films about the ugly women wearing braces and being rejected. I was wearing braces in my past and I didn't do a big deal out of it. If a guy cares, it's his problem and then let him free to find the one without braces. Be confident. There are plenty of men who don't pay attention and not make a big deal out of it IF YOU don't do a big deal first. Be yourself and check how it goes. If you don't get a 2nd date, it's NOT because of braces, but other factors like your talk, thinking, hygiene, manners, style, values and his maturity level.

I don't think you need to mention it and I hope he has no issue with it whatsoever. When I see an adult with braces if I think anything at all it's that I'm impressed that the person wants to go through the hassle to improve their oral/dental health and appearance -I found them a pain as a child. Good for you!

I also had braces later in life; I got them my junior year of college, and mine weren't the clear kind! I know it can be hard not to be self-conscious about them, but I just always reminded myself of how happy I would be with the finished product. I wouldn't tell him ahead of time, if I were you. Just go and be proud of who you are! I have a feeling it'll all be fine!

Oh my goodness, I"m so glad someone else posted this. I got mine last may (when I had a girlfriend) and now that I'm single Ive been wondering the whole thing too. I don't mention it. the few women I've been on dates with haven't really said anything. and it's not like they are on there forever! and if he does care, he's not worth your time anyway.

But I'd rather go thru this and have straight teeth down the road in a few months. Hang in there. I can't wait to eat popcorn again!

Thank you guys for your encouragement. Based on what you've said combined with my own nervousness about the first date, I have decided to mention them but in a very brief, not-a-big-deal way so that he is aware of them and so that he is also aware that I'm not shy about them. As some of you suggested, I'll do it in a humorous way. I'll think of how to say it but at the moment I can't think of anything, could you please give me some more suggestions?

Okay, I know you've already made the decision to tell him and I'm not sure if you've already done so or not.... but I think I'd wait and not say anything ahead of time just because what if he did notice them in your pics and doesn't care so then you're brining the topic up for no reason. Personally, I would wait and near the middle or even maybe close to the beginning of the date I'd probably make a joke and say "so did you notice my braces in my pictures or where they a big shock?!" and then give him a big grin, lol. I think it will make you look confident and as if they aren't a big deal (which they aren't/shouldn't be) and then if you're feeling comfortable enough with him tell him how you were a little nervous to show him your braces becaues you have them as an adult. Then move on with the conversation to something else. At least that way you show that you aren't trying to hide/avoid the topic but it just gets glossed over and isn't made into a big deal. I think maybe a message ahead of time just on that topic alone might create attention that really doesn't need to be there.

Good luck!!

I agree with the others. I might only mention it, to make myself less self-conscious. And then, don't make a big deal of it. A casual comment like, "a funny thing happened on the way to the orthadontist..."

^^^ exactly. Or "Let's meet on Saturday, I am getting my braces adjusted on Friday and I can show you my new clear braces..." Just put it out there in a low key way. you are worried about nothing. you do not have metal mouth.

Archived