Long term Bf + family moving; should I go too?

Jack and I are in a very serious relationship. We are both 18 and have been together for almost 6 years. We’ve grown and matured through these adolescent years and are closer than ever. Our personalities are very similar and have many interests in common. I spend more nights out of the week at his place than at my own. Both of us still live with our parents, but we both imagine us co-habiting a living space in the future. I enjoy almost every waking moment I have with him and couldn’t imagine being apart. I hate sleeping without him. I am positive that I am in love with him and it would pain me to live without him.

That being said, he’s parents are considering relocating to Georgia from New Jersey. He will go with them naturally, being dependent. This entire thing is shaking my world inside.

I don’t know if I have the option of going with them. I am close enough with his family that maybe they would consider it. They do like me. But I don’t want to intrude, to come right out and ask them if I can come live with them. I’m too shy. I don’t want to seem like I’m chasing Jack like a mindless drone, but I want to follow my heart; I want to go with him. I think it would benefit me, not just because Jack is there. I want to transfer after my community college is done and I’m dissatisfied with the schools here in Jersey. I also wouldn’t mind the warm weather of the South. I really think that this will be a great opportunity for me to find a transfer school

What should I do if they end up moving? Every time I think about this I burst into tears and I am unable to think straight. Am I being too dependent on him? I really don’t think we’re just “puppy love”; I’ve been with him long enough to know better than that. I don’t want to lose him to long distance. Should I just go ahead and ask? How should I go about this? Help me please.

Choking on wishes in New Jersey.

Wow, quick response!

I think my family would be fine with what I do as long as I am happy. They would miss me, but most kids my age are going away to college and don't see their parents as much as I do. I would visit back home whenever I could.

Not sure if I can afford room and board... it would be cheaper for me to live off campus. He's also an only child, so there's not much to the family dynamics.

I'm not completely sold on the idea of you going to live with his family.

When you're 18, you kinda think that the world is all roses and everything will be ok. That you'll find a job and a place and you'll live happily ever after with your boyfriend but unfortunately life isn't always that easy. I wish it were, but if you want to make this work, I suggest you don't live with his family. What if he stayed in New Jersey for school? What if he got a job there and so did you and you two lived off campus somewhere together? And you attended a public university that's different from your current one? I just think at your age you should be focused on school, not going to Georgia to be with your boyfriend (I understand you're in love though).

If you went to school there, there would probably be loans you'd have to take out because college isn't cheap for out of state residents. Do you really want to be potentially 100 thousand dollars in debt? If it doesn't work out with him, you will be reminded of that every time you pay your loans back each month. I really don't think you living with his family is a good idea. What if something happens and you break up? Then where will you go? What will you do? You'll have to drop out of school or live on campus or find a job and find a roommate or move back home to NJ but still have those loans for your uncompleted education in Georgia. Or you two might end up making it. It could go either way.

I understand you're in love, but please think this over and get both your families together to discuss it.

I think you need to have a serious talk with your family and his family and see what's up. I wish you the best of luck!

Archived