Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i eat before a blood test?

Don'tMindMe

can i eat before a blood test?

i'm getting a blood test next week and nothing was explained to me i think that it's to see if i have anemia or diabetes but i'm not shure what kind of tests they are, can i eat before and if i can't how long can i not eat before?

dragon lady
    Platinum Member
    You should definitely call and ask. It won't matter for the anemia, but if you're getting tested for diabetes they probably want it to be fasting. Check to make sure.

alli
    I've had instances where the Dr scheduled blood tests for me but didn't say anything about eating or not eating. Then I go to the get the blood tests at like 1pm & the phlebotomist says "you haven't eaten anything right?" Coincidentally I hadn't, really.

I would say you are probably not supposed to eat. But call back and check!

DN

Usually you are supposed to fast for 12 hours.

_Asti_
    I would call the doctor's office or the lab you will be going to for the blood work.
    Each test is different and require different preparations, if any.

Hope75
    Quote Originally Posted by p3rf3ctsp3cim3n [Register to see the link]
    You're not supposed to eat at least 8 hours before your blood test, no matter what they're testing for.
    That's not true, it depends on the test. Call the lab and find out what their policies are.

doyathink
    I didn't eat anything b4 I went in to be tested for diabetes, and the doc told me that I needed to come back after I ate something so he could see how my body used it...
    I would def call and ask them.

doyathink
    You're not supposed to eat at least 8 hours before your blood test, no matter what they're testing for.
    But you just wrote this
    diabetes = sugar levels, they can't know without your food intake...but most test require you not to eat, such as testing for infectious diseases and so forth.

the point of not eating is not to have your blood obscured with what you just ate.

Like most have said, call to be sure.
    Which contradicts this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Don'tMindMe [Register to see the link]
    i'm getting a blood test next week and nothing was explained to me i think that it's to see if i have anemia or diabetes but i'm not shure what kind of tests they are, can i eat before and if i can't how long can i not eat before?
    And she IS getting tested for diabetes.

Don'tMindMe
    But, honestly...not to knock on you OP...this question was better suited for your test lab then us...
    yeah i know, thought i might try here though, i went yesterday and i'm pretty shure they are running all the blood tests my mum is doing a nursing course and she said not to not eat depending on the test

Alezia
    There's tests where it doesn't matter. They will make you drink this really high-sugar drink (think a bad pop) and then test you exactly one hour after the drink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
trigeminal neuralgia?
So I went to the hospital at 2:30 AM. They gave me a 30mg shot of Toradol. That only reduced it a bit. They sent me home. I took 2 Tylenol 1 and got
Would you trust a psychiatrist who categorizes homosexuality as an illness ?
I was just on a website which lets you ,after signing up, choose a psychiatrist to book an appointment with . You view the psychiatrist's profile
Vivid Dreams
I know that anti depressants have a side effect of causing vivid dreams. But my dreams are so weird that I am scared of the whole idea of going to
Lost.
Where do I begin? I'm a 20 year old female and life at the moment has been really rough. I feel that every aspect of my life is incredibly

Featured Threads
He took my sisters virginity!
Well.. Here goes nothing. I don't have anyone to talk to and hoping to get some insight. My mind is confused and my heart is completely
Dating after working in the sex industry
Hey all, I'm coming out of a difficult time in my life where i worked as a sex worker. I just wanted some opinions on how to handle this when I begin
My boyfriend hangs out one on one with his ex am I right to feel uncomfortable?
Hi everyone, I posted here before about how my boyfriend and his ex are close friends. Long story short, they date for two years, realised they were
What does this mean?
I'm a 24 year old man and I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 5 years. But I'm feeling like this relationship is built on blind trust
Is this just "The 21st Century Woman?"
For the past 5 years, every woman I've dated (ages 25-32 we'll say) has had to stress to me immediately, before anything gets going, that they are
Venting I guess... I miss having sex.
So... I don't know if there is any real advice that can be given here. But I'm sure people here can at least relate and maybe share their
My boyfriend curses at me but says he's joking?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months and while everything has been great so far except that he curses at me but says
Ask For Advice