My baby's head is lopsided!

My baby is almost 4 months now...and his head is not even close to being head-shaped.

Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely adorable and doesn't look like some kind of freak show or anything...

BUT. His head is definently crooked. The doctor told me at 2 months not to let him sleep on the right side of his head anymore because it's obvious that's where he sleeps. It's hard to keep him from doing that. Everytime he rests his head on my chest or anything, it's the right side.

So I've been trying to make him sleep on the left side of his head, and that didn't make it better. It just made the shape more funky.

What can I do? Will he grow into this? Will it just become normal? Or will it only look OK when he grows in a full head of hair?

This part of the article that Hope provided might help. If you think the shape of the head will look odd even when he is grown and has a full head of hair, this is something to consider.

YOu have to realize tho what that head just popped thru not that long ago! The head is very "moldable" to accommodate the birth canal and will usually shape up correctly on its own with positioning.

Helmets and head shape

Varying a baby's head position is typically enough to prevent or treat flat spots. If the lopsidedness doesn't improve within a few months, your baby's doctor might prescribe a special headband or molded helmet to help shape the head. These devices work by applying gentle but constant pressure in an effort to redirect skull growth.

Helmets and headbands are most effective from ages 4 months to 12 months, when the skull is still malleable and the brain is growing rapidly. They're worn continuously during the treatment period, with time off only to clean the helmet and the skin underneath.

my son had a very flat head...the whole back...we went to a neuro surgeon and he said we didn't need to do anything. now that he's older it's much better...a little flat still but much better.

i also know a girl who's son had to have the helmet on for a few months to re-shape the head.

maybe try one of those pillows that you can lay them on...there is a wedge shaped pillow (quite flat) that has velcro so that you can switch which side there head will fall to...that way you can rotate sides so they arent on one side too much.

My baby is almost 4 months now...and his head is not even close to being head-shaped.

Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely adorable and doesn't look like some kind of freak show or anything...

BUT. His head is definently crooked. The doctor told me at 2 months not to let him sleep on the right side of his head anymore because it's obvious that's where he sleeps. It's hard to keep him from doing that. Everytime he rests his head on my chest or anything, it's the right side.

So I've been trying to make him sleep on the left side of his head, and that didn't make it better. It just made the shape more funky.

What can I do? Will he grow into this? Will it just become normal? Or will it only look OK when he grows in a full head of hair?

Hey borne to resist.... My son had the same thing, one side of his head was bigger than the other... I was sooo freaked out.! It did gradually change and looked normal, coming through the birth canal can do that.... don't worry .... it will be ok.

Honestly he is a big boy now, and I remember how I stressed over the weird shape of his head....

My brothers son, my nephew had the same affliction and he outgrew it with no help. He looks like a normal kid now.

My 2 year old had the same problem. I couldnt notice it but the doctor did and told me that he had a mishapen head. It freaked me out.

But he looks normal now at two.

Just because its mishapen dont worry. It doesnt mean he will need any special treatment.

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

I know this would be very distressing, but we knew a couple who had a baby whose head who absolutely flat in the back. It must be very common. And our baby had a cone head. When he was born, my father said you could use his head to kills roaches in the corners.

Hahah Miss Firecracker, you made me laugh here lol Me the brokenhearted lil witch herself..... lol hahah

I did not realize how common misshapen heads were until I did some reasearch on "tummy time" yesterday. Apparently, when kids used to be placed on their tummies, this was less of a problem. But with kids sleeping on their backs now, it appears they can get flat-headed. Interesting, interesting.

Archived