Ask For Advice

Thread: A significant other moving far away...what to do? Stay or follow?

JynX

A significant other moving far away...what to do? Stay or follow?

Hi everyone...it's been a long time since I've made a post on here.

I'm finding myself in a bind I've never been before Last week I found out that my boyfriend will be moving up north within the next couple of months because all of his family is...there are better job opportunities there. We've been through a lot in the past that brought us closer, and we have a wonderful relationship. We click well together, we are deeply in love, and make each other very happy. He is my best friend, my lover, my partner in everything...he very much is a big part of me.

When he told me, all I could do was break down crying. I don't see myself being happy without him here. When he moves, it'll crush me. I'll lose a part of myself. The distance will make it hard on both of us. Just picturing my everyday life here without him tears me up. I have been in a foul mood this whole weekend, not being able to put this out of my mind.

As upset as I am, over the past couple of days I've had time to logically think about it. There are options that the two of us have.

1) He moves, I stay here and we try to work things out from there with seeing each other every couple of months, holidays, breaks, etc.

2) He finds a way to stay down here.

3) I move there with him. At 18, I'm legally allowed to. It'll be a big change, I'll leave everything here behind...but I'd do it to stay with him.

Those are the options I see. There is still a lot of time before any decision has to be finalized and set in stone...but I'm the type who likes to know all of my options before the deadline and have them thought over.

We very much want to stay together...we're willing to try our hardest to make things work. I would like some opinions from everyone here...what do you all think about this? Any other ideas, comments?

-JyNx

sixpounder
    all i can say is long distance relations are hard, my friend is doing one, and its hard for her but surprisingly they're still together

Crazyaboutdogs
    3) I move there with him. At 18, I'm legally allowed to. It'll be a big change, I'll leave everything here behind...but I'd do it to stay with him.
    You are young with your whole life ahead of you. What plans do you have for your life...what are your goals.....are you in school....is this your first love?
    You need to focus on what YOUR life goals are and how you will achieve them. Two people who are committed, can have a long distance relationship and make it last. Ultimately, for marriage you will have to be in the same place. The distance can be a good thing to test the strength of your relationship. I have known of people who have moved for their boyfriend or girlfriend only to find that the relationship does not last and they are left in unfamiliar surroundings with no friends or family around. Don't move just to be with him and hope the rest of your life will sort itself out as long as you are near him. Make plans for YOUR life and YOUR future. If he is part of your future, he will be there no matter the distance.

Scout
    Has he asked you to move with him?

Aurian
    Excellent advice! Think very hard and try decide if the relationship is worth moving and giving up the things you have around you for. Look at what you want in your future and decide if moving will help or hinder those dreams. Planning to go to college? Maybe see if there is a good one near where your bf is going.

You could also try the long-distance thing for awhile too. It is very hard and requires a lot of trust and committment, but if you put a time limit on it perhaps (ie - 2 years while you finish college, or until your bf is able to move back to you), it would give you time to decide on your future and see how strong the relationship is.

Top Threads
Did I push him away?
Hello all, My ex of 3 years suddenly approached me after many failed attempts to date, saying that he wanted to be exclusive, and that he wanted
Encouragement
I've been in a relationship with my bf for almost 3 years and he's in the air force. We been on a rocky rollercoaster and can't wait till he takes

Featured Threads
Who is in the wrong?
This person isn't really a "friend" she is 24+ years older than me. I have a feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because of my age. I started
I became engaged with a girl who calls herself a "free spirit"......need clarity
I met a wonderful and bright girl 3.5 years ago and she by far stole my heart. She is appositely beautiful, funny, intelligent and outgoing. She is
Has anyone ever totally given up on finding love?
Hello everyone! Well I been wanting to post this for a few weeks now. I don't really know how to say it or word it. But, who here has or knows
Today "should" have been our 6 year anniversary
Today was suppose to be our 6th year together. Today is the first time on this date that we are not together. We made this date a big deal
Shoud I break up because my girlfriend hooked up with my cousin in t
I'm jealous because my girlfriend had casual sex with my cousin before she met me. We've been dating for a year, she's very funny, caring, sexy
I'm in love with my co-worker 😥
My coworker and I started working together about 10 months ago. We work closely together all day just the two of us mainly. From the day he started
Aggressive Courting
There's this girl I really, really like, and would really want to be in a relationship with. Unfortunately, recently I messed up, and now I think she
Ask For Advice