Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to tell a child his father isnt his father

dazedandconfusedbydestiny

how to tell a child his father isnt his father

How do you begin to tell a child that the father he always thought was his, isn't. Just recently I notified his real father that he is a father. Kind of long story but look for my other post it will give you more of a idea on whats going on. No my husband who has raised my child along with our other 2 has no idea that the son he has raised isnt his either. its under finding love and soulmates. Anyone ever face this, the boy is 12 yrs old.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    Oh God...that is an enormous issue and I really do not think that anyone on these forums will have the qualifications to give you the correct advice (especially sight unseen) and you really need the correct advice.

The best thing I think anyone can tell you is to consult long and hard with a child phsychiatrist and a counselling professional. you have 2 things to handle here, your sons welfare and your husbands. This is not something to step into lightly.

AwdreeHpburn
    I suggest a family counselor. They'll help you thru this together.

believe me i know. It has been a hard decision to even tell my friend that we created a child 13 yrs ago. Dont get me wrong. I told him i was pregnant when i found out. But he assumed it was my husbands since he withdrew and i was on the pill. I never corrected him. It has gotten harder and harder as time has gone by because my son looks so much like his father its scarry. If he had black curly hair he would be his fathers double. I have no clue how my husband never figured it out either. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the child doesn't look like him.

So you know my friend lives over 200 miles away so its not like he has seen our child much. We talked alot on the phone but other then that. It's been 10 yrs since we saw each other in person. People ask me how im so certain that hes not my husbands without a paternity test. All i can say is, to put their pictures next to each other. You would think my son was his father as a child.

Hope75
    Are you planning to tell your husband that this boy isn't his biological son?

It seems that telling the biological father now after your husband has been raising this child as his own with no knowledge that he is not his biological son, is incredibly selfish and has the potential to destroy your family.

What do you plan to do?

I do plan to tell my husband but what makes it complicated is he has been physically violent in the past. I am absolutely terrified of what he would do when he finds out.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    It seems that telling the biological father now after your husband has been raising this child as his own with no knowledge that he is not his biological son, is incredibly selfish and has the potential to destroy your family.
    Yes I agree to an extent. I think you have to get your priorities right here. This is not about your ex at the moment, after all trhat has happened he is incidental to the issue and in fact any hint that you have concerns about his role and feelings may increase the impact on your husband and son.

This is about your husband and son. Concentrate on that issue. Not your ex.

melrich
    Platinum Member
    I do plan to tell my husband but what makes it complicated is he has been physically violent in the past. I am absolutely terrified of what he would do when he finds out.
    You seriously need to get some professional assistance and advice.
    Last edited by melrich; 04-19-2006 at 08:22 PM.

AwdreeHpburn
    Go to a family counselor, all of you together. Or maybe you should remove yourself and your son from the threat of violence and seek help.

Hope75
    This gets more and more complicated the more you reveal.

How has he been abusive? Does he harm you or the children?

Do you feel unsafe in your home with him?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Disproportionate Inheritance
It's been a difficult year. My dad, 83, fought cancer for 9 months and succumbed to it last Tuesday. What made it all the more difficult is that he
10 year old and still cranky. HELP!
Please help me. I have an almost 10 yo boy. He is very good in school, and has no problem at all with his marks. He is very sensitive kid, like he
My brother has become a monster
This is really, really long. I've been dealing with this alone for a very long time. Growing up, my brother was really fun. We liked a lot of the
I think my dad cheated on mom...
[SIZE=4]I dont know what to do... I used my dads computer yesterday for homework, and i opened a word document on the desktop (it was just titled new
My hate is driving me insane!! help!!
hi guys, I am new to this so bare with me. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, he is the love of my life. I'm just 22, but i knew from the
Why are parents allowed to do this?
I'm a teen. I'm homeschooled so I never eat school food. I'm also vegetarian. This is what I eat everyday. Breakfast- 1 piece of bread Lunch-
Happy Birthday to me.
Today has been my first birthday alone without my family and friends. I'm away at school so it's pretty far away from home... so you know...and I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice