Ok I have had my period for 2 weeks now.. And now i am concerned. I have seen my doctor and she said it's probly because I have started using the depo-provea birth control. But she also commented on me taking a pregancy test if the bleeding doesn't stop.... Is it possible that I am pregnant?

Hey there,

I used Depo for 2 years and hated it! No it's normal, unfortunately, to spot or have your period for 2 weeks while on Depo. Very unlikely that you are preggo. I think once I spotted for like 2 weeks while on Depo, but I basically stopped having it. But I did gain weight, I had really bad mood swings and my libido went into the toliet. So now I am on Ortho Evra. Love it a lot. So I am sure you are fine, it's one of the side effect of using depo. Take care.

Ok I have had my period for 2 weeks now.. And now i am concerned. I have seen my doctor and she said it's probly because I have started using the depo-provea birth control. But she also commented on me taking a pregancy test if the bleeding doesn't stop.... Is it possible that I am pregnant?

It is a common side effect of Depo. Irony is that Depo is often touted as great in that it can STOP periods for ages, but most women I know who tried it said they would spot for weeks or even months on end...ugh. I would rather deal with it once a month then that!

I only know one person whom loves it and has stayed on it...everyone else had to quit it due to crazy mood swings, weight gain and other body changes/side effects.

I personally would never ever ever try it.....I am on Ortho Tri-Cyclen and it has worked wonderfully for me with zilch side effects except for lighter, shorter periods (can't complain about that!)

The pregnancy test is just a "in case" I think as Depo is very harmful for a fetus, friends I know who have taken it had to have a pg test prior to every shot as a precaution. I am sure you are fine though and it's just one of the 'lovely' side effects!

I have been on Depo Provera for six years now. I have had several episodes of having a very light, ongoing period that lasted two or more weeks. My doc told me that was normal for Depo users, that you sometimes have this happen and that it's really just an inconvienence and is not harmful. He never indicated to me that it was a sign of pregnancy. Even though I have been on it awhile now, and because it pretty much stops you from ever having a period, I still take a pregnancy test either once a month or every other month. My doctor always told me that I didn't need to because the shot is so effective as long as you get it on schedule but I didn't care. I figured it this way; if I don't get a period at all then how can I be absolutely sure it's because the shot is working and has stopped it or because it didn't work? I am just a paranoid person I guess but I have never had a problem with it in the nearly seven years I've been on it.